Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,552 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]We are a “young, professional” couple in our mid-twenties- 25 and 27 respectively-who are considering a move out west. We are both college educated and also hold Master’s degrees, one an MBA, and the other a Master’s in Teaching. He has worked most often as a web developer doing online marketing, and I intend to teach 7-12th grade English, but I have also worked in creative fields. By the time we are able to relocate, however, we’ll likely be 26 and 28 with a few years of work experience under our belts.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] We don’t have any children at present and feel as though we have a few years (3-5) before we’ll consider having a family, but the place we relocate to should allow us to be able to support a family and provide them with good schools, programs and activities as well as an emphasis on an excellent. We’re looking to move to a sustainable, clean and- dare I say “green” -area of the country that is likely to be a departure from the ‘excess’ of NYC/Northern New Jersey. Neither of us would mind a little extra property to build a life on, as this is something we won’t get in the Tri-State metropolitan area. Both of us spent our college years in New England cities (Burlington, VT and Providence, RI) , and we miss the winter, the open-mindedness, the affordability and the outdoors. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]In short- we are looking for a place that has the youthful vibe of a college town, maybe with a median age of 29-35, but is a departure from $1 beer and wing nights and frat parties. We hope Boulder has enough to do to hold our interest and enough of an economic and social base for us to hopefully build a life as a couple nearing our 30’s. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]We’ve also been considering Portland, Oregon, Denver, Colorado, Seattle and Everett, Washington and Beaverton, Oregon. Any info helps.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Any information about Boulder would be incredibly helpful, but I am most interested in the economy out there. Has it been hard by the recession? (Both of us have had bouts with unemployment in 2009/2010 and effectively feel as though we’ve sufficiently ‘put our dreams on hold long enough’) What industries or types of companies dominate the area? Do most commute long distances or work close to home? What are the suburbs of Boulder like? If we make 65k as a couple at the very LEAST, will we be able to have a comfortable living out west? (Again, we don’t need a lot and would be perfectly happy renting a 1-2 bedroom apartment)[/SIZE][/FONT]

Please no "You've got plently of time" or "You've got all the time in the world" replies. We've had a rough two years trying to hack it here on our own and want a place that offers both financial independence, fun and affordability. We're looking for something new. Our philosophy is generally that we'd like to be able to afford the basics (this truly has not been easy at times) with some extra funds on the side to have fun with. I am wondering if Boulder could be the place for both.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 01:42 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,269,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbkgmi View Post
Please no "You've got plently of time" or "You've got all the time in the world" replies. We've had a rough two years trying to hack it here on our own and want a place that offers both financial independence, fun and affordability.
Which one is it-- you want advice from people who live in Colorado or you want people to tell you exactly what you want to hear about the particular garden spot you have in mind?

I think if you're serious about moving to Colorado you need to expand your job search possibilities beyond Boulder to the whole Denver metro area.

Food for thought:

Population of Boulder: 94,000
Population of Boulder County: 282,000
Population of Denver-Aurora-Boulder CSA: 3,000,000

Distance from the eastern most part of Boulder to the next town over to the east, still in Boulder County: 6 miles.

Distance from the SE most contiguously built up part of the Boulder city limits to the NW most contiguously built up part of Denver metro area, not counting Boulder County suburbs: 10 miles.

Distance from downtown Boulder to downtown Denver: 28 miles.

Distance from downtown Boulder to the southernmost part of the Denver Tech Center (probably the biggest employment center in the region): 46 miles.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:13 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,940,353 times
I would suggest doing a search. There is already a ton of info on here with the information you are asking about.

Have you ever been here before for a visit?

Not sure you'll find the "affordability" in Boulder.....

Old 06-28-2010, 07:45 PM

377 posts, read 1,052,600 times
I agree with JKCoop. I was going to answer, but a search for Boulder posts will answer all of your questions and then some.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:18 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
You will probably not find much land to buy, with a combined income of $65 K. I agree with jkoop and vegaspilgrim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area