Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 08:55 PM

136 posts, read 741,628 times

Advertisements

Just read a news story. In the early morning on 10/31 in Boulder, an Asian American was stopped by four white guys. One of them hit the nose of the Asian American, asked if he is a China-man. Then they used a knife against his throat and force him to say "I love U.S.".

I haven't heard this kind of things in Bay Area. I hope this is just an isolated incident. Since I am planning to relocate to Broomfield, CO and as a Chinese American, I do have concerns on the racial discrimination problems in the Boulder area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 09:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Have you heard of any other incidents? I must say, I missed that one. I do find it hard to believe that nothing of that nature has EVER happened in SF. I do think it was an isolated incident. There is lttle overt racism here.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:32 AM
tao

721 posts, read 3,188,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingcol View Post
Just read a news story. In the early morning on 10/31 in Boulder, an Asian American was stopped by four white guys. One of them hit the nose of the Asian American, asked if he is a China-man. Then they used a knife against his throat and force him to say "I love U.S.".

I haven't heard this kind of things in Bay Area. I hope this is just an isolated incident. Since I am planning to relocate to Broomfield, CO and as a Chinese American, I do have concerns on the racial discrimination problems in the Boulder area.
Can you please link the news story? It sounds a little hard to believe. I'd expect something like that more in Colorado Springs than Boulder or any of the Boulder/Denver suburbs.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:46 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
Can you please link the news story? It sounds a little hard to believe. I'd expect something like that more in Colorado Springs than Boulder or any of the Boulder/Denver suburbs.
From the Daily Camera:

Asian-American forced to say 'I love America' at knifepoint : County News : Boulder Daily Camera (http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/oct/31/police-asian-american-forced-say-i-love-america-kn/ - broken link)

Also, reports of a young woman gang-raped:

Police: Woman gang-raped in Boulder alley : County News : Boulder Daily Camera (http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/oct/31/boulder-police-investigate-group-sex-assault/ - broken link)

A story about both of the incidents:

CU students unnerved by attacks : CU News : Boulder Daily Camera (http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/oct/31/cu-students-unnerved-attacks/ - broken link)

Old 11-04-2008, 09:04 AM
tao

Thanks for the links. All sad stories.

I'd say the majority of Boulder crime happen around the University and are perpetrated by students. The gang rape was a terrible tragedy but I will say, any woman should know better than to walk around alone late at night, drunk or tipsy or even sober, no matter what town she lives in. Women are always vulnerable to attacks by men and should take every precaution to avoid risky situations.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the links. All sad stories.

I'd say the majority of Boulder crime happen around the University and are perpetrated by students. The gang rape was a terrible tragedy but I will say, any woman should know better than to walk around alone late at night, drunk or tipsy or even sober, no matter what town she lives in. Women are always vulnerable to attacks by men and should take every precaution to avoid risky situations.
Yes, but let's not blame the victim. She did not commit the crime.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:05 PM

136 posts, read 741,628 times
Exactly. It is true that people should be more cautious.

BTW, Thanks SUZCO for the links. I actually read the story from a Chinese version. It appeard in several Chinese internet mediums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, but let's not blame the victim. She did not commit the crime.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:44 PM

55 posts, read 175,225 times
It's an isolated, random incident. My ethnic background is from the subcontinent and I haven't experienced a single incident of overt prejudice in Boulder.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:26 PM
tao

I certainly didn't mean to come across like I was blaming the victim. In fact, I tried to word it very carefully so as not to be miscontrued but I guess I didn't do a good enough job. I myself have been sexually assaulted more than once so I would never blame the victim - I was just pointing out a warning to women that we should always take every precaution to protect ourselves, even in "safe" towns.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I certainly didn't mean to come across like I was blaming the victim. In fact, I tried to word it very carefully so as not to be miscontrued but I guess I didn't do a good enough job. I myself have been sexually assaulted more than once so I would never blame the victim - I was just pointing out a warning to women that we should always take every precaution to protect ourselves, even in "safe" towns.
Yes, I am in agreement on that. I'm sorry to hear about your problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area