Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 02:02 AM

220 posts, read 776,605 times

Advertisements

We too visited every forum reading for hours, asked questions of anyone from CO or who knew someone from CO and now after 3.5 years of being here, feel confident in answering questions about the differences, the areas, etc. You can gain some perspective by reading my prior posts, then ask whatever you like. If someone had thrown this out there and been candid years ago, we may have made some different decisions. We're 10 minutes east of Boulder on the Lafayette border and are glad we are East of Boulder. Boulder isn't for everyone, but is for many. There are so many choices that it's not like Boulder or nothing. Each community surrounding it has great qualities and some drawbacks. Nothing's perfect. If you're coming from the Island of Long or someplace nearby, I'll have real insight into the differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,703 times
Default Yes

Hi elemental,

New Jersey here. My wife and I have been seriously considering moving to the Greater Boulder area for a few years now. We are looking at a June 2011 move. We are both in our early thirties and have two young children. By next June that will put them at ages 3 and 1.
I've been trolling these boards for a while and have noted all previous advice. I guess I've concluded that Superior/Louisville area is a good area for families with the benefits of visiting Boulder for etc, while not actually being in Boulder. Also, not far from Denver either. Is this correct?

What advice, if any, would you offer? What "different decisions" would you have made?

Old 07-21-2010, 12:07 PM

220 posts, read 776,605 times
Yes, louisville and superior are both family friendly areas outside of boulder with great proximity to Denver. There are a few additional cities worth looking at: broomfield, erie and longmont. All are within striking distance of both major cities. Lastly, if we had spent more time in Fort Collins, we'd probably be living there. It was much more familar than Boulder or any of the preceding cities.

The different decisions I spoke of would have included spending more time in each city prior to committing to purchase a home; really interacting with the people and observing to a greater degree. To some, moving is no big deal. To a family who tends to put down deep roots, it's more of a concern. Doing it right the first time will save a lot of heartache.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:43 PM

56 posts, read 222,936 times
Hi! Wow, you have some great info! We're in Durango now & plan on moving up end of Sept. I have a 5yr girl. My husband could be working in Denver, but plans to find a permanent job in Boulder w/ in a yr. So we want to find a place (rent @ 1st) in between Boulder & Denver. We've visited & loved Louisville (1st choice). My ques for you, my fellow coloradian:
- what other cities are family friendly (parks, stuff to do, bike trails, etc.)
- what cities have the best reputation for schools? (big for us)
- what cities to stay away from? high crime?

Thanks!!!

Old 08-11-2010, 06:47 AM
WiW

167 posts, read 577,835 times
Hello Elemental,
Thanks for the kind offer to share your experiences. We plan to move from NJ to the Denver/Boulder area in 2011. We started off thinking that we wanted to move to boulder, but after researching it, we feel that the options are wide open with Denver city & norther towns/suburbs as options. We plan to visit next month for 3 weeks to check it out.

What other boards/forums did you check out besides city-data?

Old 08-21-2010, 08:27 AM

8 posts, read 21,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemental View Post
We too visited every forum reading for hours, asked questions of anyone from CO or who knew someone from CO and now after 3.5 years of being here, feel confident in answering questions about the differences, the areas, etc. You can gain some perspective by reading my prior posts, then ask whatever you like. If someone had thrown this out there and been candid years ago, we may have made some different decisions. We're 10 minutes east of Boulder on the Lafayette border and are glad we are East of Boulder. Boulder isn't for everyone, but is for many. There are so many choices that it's not like Boulder or nothing. Each community surrounding it has great qualities and some drawbacks. Nothing's perfect. If you're coming from the Island of Long or someplace nearby, I'll have real insight into the differences.
What about Superior, Louisville? Which is best? Superior has a lot more homes for lower prices. But Louisville seems genuinely nice and a good deal and stable.

We love outdoors, family community, nice people - professionals.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbikehike View Post
What about Superior, Louisville? Which is best? Superior has a lot more homes for lower prices. But Louisville seems genuinely nice and a good deal and stable.

We love outdoors, family community, nice people - professionals.
Both Louisville and Superior are good places with lots of kids. Louisville has more services, e.g. recreation center, library (with Superior now paying some money to it), concerts in the parks, stuff that a more established city has. Superior is getting there, though.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,934 times
Default Best Area for Horse Property?

Hi Elemental,

I admire your generous attitude. I was wondering if you knew what area around Boulder would be more of an "out in the country" place where we might purchase a good horse property.
No big ranch or anything. Just 5 to 10 acres with a barn and some pasture land. Is that even possible there or is everything brown?
I'm from Western Washington and everything is green, green, green here, but we are so sick of the rain, lack of sunshine, and unfriendly people.

Thanks,
Tishomingo

Old 08-29-2010, 08:50 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,123,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tishomingo View Post
I was wondering if you knew what area around Boulder would be more of an "out in the country" place where we might purchase a good horse property.
No big ranch or anything. Just 5 to 10 acres with a barn and some pasture land. Is that even possible there or is everything brown?
There are many horse properties surrounding Boulder. Check out Erie, Niwot, Longmont, the area just north of Boulder (east of Hwy 36), south of Boulder and west of Boulder (Nederland). Every which way, horses surround Boulder.
"Everything" is not brown but it will not be green all year round.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:54 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tishomingo View Post
No big ranch or anything. Just 5 to 10 acres with a barn and some pasture land. Is that even possible there or is everything brown? I'm from Western Washington and everything is green, green, green here, but we are so sick of the rain, lack of sunshine, and unfriendly people.
You will need to bring plenty of "green" with you to buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area