U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 04:28 AM

8 posts, read 14,897 times

Advertisements

We are moving at the beginning of August, so we don't have much time to look at schools. I've reviewed information online (here, BVSD site, greatschools, etc) but I would appreciate first-hand information if possible.

We're looking for a neighborhood (too late to Open Enroll) school that has a nice community of parents and kids. Our oldest kid has a high IQ, but problems with frustration/perfectionism. He needs not only accelerated instruction (he learns very quickly), but understanding that he's a little kid (ie., no pressure cooker schools). It would be nice if he had some similar peers.

If anyone has experience with Lafayette (Gifted and talent magnet/special needs), Louisville (has high marks for climate), Douglass (high number of Gifted/Talented), Bear Creek, Mesa, etc., I would appreciate the information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 11:24 AM

638 posts, read 1,184,185 times
Hi,

I live in a neighborhood called Bradburn Village in Westminster (is about 15 minute drive to Louisville, 20 to Boulder, 30 minutes north of downtown Denver). There are several of my neighbors in here who were looking for exactly the same kind of school and they sent their kids to a new charter school close to us called Westgate Community Charter that is for gifted/talented learners who don't fit the "traditional educational model":

Home Page

The people I know of who have sent their kiddos here really like it a lot and highly recommend it. I don't know how their enrollment process works however.

There's also Stargate charter close to my neighborhood which is a gifted only charter school:

Stargate School > About Stargate

With Stargate however, there may be a waiting list and there is an IQ testing requirement. Several of my neighbors send their kids here and really love it.

Not sure what you are looking for in a neighborhood, but your oldest (and any other kids you may have) would have plenty of company here in Bradburn. Neighborhood is super, super social and filled with kids. Our neighborhood school, Cotton Creek Elementary, is a great school that has a gifted/talented program and certainly is not a "pressure cooker" environment (which I also wanted to avoid), but if your oldest really needs a lot of extra attention, I'm not sure it would be the best fit. However, there are plenty of other options that might work in easy driving distance.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:22 AM

Thanks for your reply.. I will look again at those two schools. I originally counted them out because they are so popular, and I figured we'd be too late to enroll.. So glad to hear there are some cool neighborhoods with lots of kids. We'll check it out!

Old 07-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 11 days ago)

70,058 posts, read 60,607,466 times
Regarding the schools you asked about, my friends whose kids went to Louisville Elementary were very happy with it. My own kids went to Coal Creek Ele, also in Louisville, and I was very pleased with the school and the education they got there.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:15 PM

714 posts, read 1,027,011 times
I just was at Louisville elementary school two weeks ago, and went past the middle school there as well. Looks like they're renovating one of the playgrounds at the elementary school. The middle school looked well kept / newer - but this says nothing of their standing, which I believe is good - as most of the BVSD seems to be.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 11 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qfrost View Post
I just was at Louisville elementary school two weeks ago, and went past the middle school there as well. Looks like they're renovating one of the playgrounds at the elementary school. The middle school looked well kept / newer - but this says nothing of their standing, which I believe is good - as most of the BVSD seems to be.
The middle school just had a major remodeling. It is actually quite an old school, built by the WPA. There's not much of the old building left, however.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:51 PM

Ah. Well it looked nice from the outside!

Old 07-13-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qfrost View Post
Ah. Well it looked nice from the outside!
It's apparently nice on the inside, too, with a new auditorium, and lots of other stuff. It's not the old revamped high school it was when my kids went there. The educational level there is great.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:30 AM

Thanks for the posts. How is the environment for middle school kids in Louisville? It looks like there are tons of activities for them, but is there a problem with bullying, drugs, etc?

Old 08-16-2010, 01:11 PM

Default Louisville Elementary / Fireside Elementary

As we continue to narrow down where we want to live, what we can afford, and all the other moving considerations, does anyone have an opinion if either of these two schools is better than the other? My wife says Fireside has an after school program, whereas Louisville doesn't. We've driven past them both, Fireside looks larger and newer, though Louisville was going through some sort of outside construction.

My biggest concern on moving is that we get it right the first time.
Thanks, Q
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area