Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2007, 01:30 PM

6 posts, read 26,456 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am currently living in Upstate New York (Buffalo/farm country to be exact).
It's really not that busy here, in fact- quite boring.
I'm looking for a healthier lifestyle but also somewhere that I can keep busy and entertained.

I'm 19 Years-old, and this summer (July-August)
I will be staying at the University at Boulder to get a taste if I like the area (and want to stay) or if I should stay in Buffalo.

I'm just wondering
  • 1. what would be the best way for me to get to Boulder from Denver's airport.

*The airline that I have free flying with doesnt fly to the airport in Boulder*

2. Will it be easy enough for me to meet new people there?

(any suggestions on how to meet young people like myself?) I don't have any family or friends there...which I kind of like (like a new start for me) But I don't want to be all alone either.

3. Do you think I'll get a good enough feel for the University even though it's over the summer?

** Just so you know, I am aware that Boulder is more expensive than Buffalo.
    However, my parents are usually understanding and very supportive when it comes to anything that furthers my education.
    So don't let that factor into your advice. **

Thanks

Last edited by mdz; 07-02-2007 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: wrong forum for that question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 01:46 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,448,442 times
I can only answer question 1: you can take the airport shuttle from right outside DIA into downtown Boulder. I believe the AB bus goes to and from Boulder. You can check the schedule at rtd-denver.com.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:29 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Re: #2 and #3: I would say in all probability, yes.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:52 PM

673 posts, read 4,064,147 times
Boulder has around 25,000 college students is heavy-healthy lifestyle oriented and very scenic and backs up against the flatirons.

Boulder is probubly by far the most expensive city on the front range of Colorado, by far. Much more then Fort Collins, Denver, Colorado Springs.
Boulder is such a great-city and almost utopian so many people want to live there that it has caused it to become ultra-expensive even by Colorado standards. But then again they might have some affordable rooms for rent on the hill near CU-Boulder campus.

Really, Boulder is a great city: Clean, clean, clean. Probubly cant do better then Boulder if one is atheletic (likes to hike, ski, bike, marathons), intellectual and likes restaurants (downtown Boulder has tons and tons of restaurants).

One good thing about Boulder is good public transit, because its covered by Regional Transportation Department which is the same transit agency that serves Denver

They have a great downtown: spotlessly clean, tons of restaurants, retail, vibrant. Its heaven on earth, except a bit snooty but not too bad considering the mass affluence of Boulder especially amongst the non-college students

Old 07-02-2007, 11:03 PM

220 posts, read 775,760 times
Default MattDen's take is right on.

If I were 19 again, I would come to Boulder in a heartbeat and probably would never go home again after College. Living within 20 minutes of boulder is ideal since the rents are far cheaper outside of Boulder proper and this is paramount at your age unless the parents are well off.

From the perspective of another NY'er who has been to Buffalo several times, the scene is comparitively very green- probably the most eco-friendly I have ever seen and it's residents have very strong opinions which they will not mind sharing with you.... Since you're used to farming communities, the feel outside of Boulder would remind you of home and probably be very comfortable.

The university scene is pretty happening from my perspective. Everything is within walking distance and public transportation is awesome here.

In short, I bet you will love it. Good luck.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:30 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,777,069 times
Hi, I'm from Buffalo, originally, although I am much older than you.....

I moved to Boulder at one point in my life, and I loved it -- I regretted leaving when I did (many reasons at the time). It is a gorgeous town, and at your age, you will have a blast! The average age in Boulder is around 23 (that's adding all the old folks together, too, and getting the average). The university atmosphere dominates -- it is not like U.B. in Amherst. Boulder actually has a very lively, safe and fun downtown. There are tons of restaurants, music venues, bars, loads of hiking areas, and if I were your age, I'd go in a heartbeat!

Also, my family had a farm in Alden (Wyoming County), but I lived in Cheektowaga, but mostly on the Westside of Buffalo near Buff State.

Oh, and the snow in Boulder -- NOTHING like Buffalo! I thought I'd be snowed in and was all prepared with my dried goods in by October, put plastic on my windows, etc. .... in February it was 70 degrees, sun shining, and I was ripping plastic off my windows because I felt like I was living in a sauna! It can snow 2 feet in one night and be gone -- literally -- by 11 a.m. the next morning -- because of the high altitude and the sun. And with the low humidity, if it says it's 40 degrees outside, it often feels like what 55 or 60 would feel like in Buffalo. It's terrific weather there!!

The thing I love most about Boulder are the Flatirons -- Buffalo does not have mountains, and the Rocky Mountains are breathtaking!

Have a blast!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area