Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 03:33 PM

6 posts, read 35,238 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I am relocating to Colorado to start a new job in Boulder. I am a single guy in my mid 20s and was wondering what would be a better place to live - Denver or Boulder.
I am mainly looking for some help about the better city to meet new people, enjoy the social life (restaurants, movies, etc). Does Boulder have a social life for young working professionals? or is it more geared towards just the college kids and families? Is the single's scene good?

Is there a significant price difference in grocery and other prices between Denver and Boulder?

Also, is the daily commute from Denver to Boulder a feasible option? I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 05:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent15 View Post
Hello!
I am relocating to Colorado to start a new job in Boulder. I am a single guy in my mid 20s and was wondering what would be a better place to live - Denver or Boulder.
I am mainly looking for some help about the better city to meet new people, enjoy the social life (restaurants, movies, etc). Does Boulder have a social life for young working professionals? or is it more geared towards just the college kids and families? Is the single's scene good?

Is there a significant price difference in grocery and other prices between Denver and Boulder?

Also, is the daily commute from Denver to Boulder a feasible option? I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks
Q1: Yes, from what I hear and read. I came to CO as a newlywed many years ago, so I don't know that scene, but here are plenty of young professionals there in Boulder, also grad students who are older and not so party-oriented any more.

Q2: No, see above.

Q3: Don't know the singles scene too well, but again, from eveything one hears and reads, yes, it's pretty good there. There doesn't seem to be a hard and fast divide between the grad students and the other twenty-somethings in Boulder. One of my DDs is dating a guy who went to Boulder to work, then went back to grad school, then graduated, etc, all the while living in Boulder. He has friends from work and school both.

Q4: I think groceries are about the same throughout the metro area. Gas is sometimes cheaper by a few c a gallon in Denver and its burbs. Clothing, restaurants, etc are all similar in the two cities.

Q5: Yes, it's feasible to commute between the two cities; lots of people do. There are several bus routes to Denver and Golden from Boulder.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:18 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Per this bus schedule, the express buses between Boulder and Union Station in Denver (LoDo) takes 45 minutes, each way.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:45 PM

6 posts, read 35,238 times
Thanks for your advice!

Old 01-30-2011, 08:50 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,508,680 times
While there are definitely 20's and 30's "young professionals" in Boulder, they are the minority. Mostly it is college kids and rich middle-aged "hippies". There's not a lot in between. Same with bars and restaurants...lots of college hangouts and expensive restaurants. Boulder is beautiful and fun but it is really small. You'd probably like downtown Denver better if you don't mind the commute. It's about 25 miles one-way. Prices are about the same except for real estate/rentals. Figure on spending at least 50% more for a decent place in Boulder than you would in Denver.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:13 AM

29 posts, read 53,791 times
I have a similar question. I am considering relocating from orange county, ca to the denver-boulder area. I am originally from the Houston area, but spent four years at CSU fort collins. I graduated 3 years ago, and since lived in DC and orange county. While going to CSU, I spent the majority of my time in fort collins or the mountains, with some trips down to denver for shows on broadway/coalfax.

the position would be based out of broomfield. the few times I visited boulder, I always though it was really beautiful. however, my only concern would be if all that would be around are college kids or rich hippies. I'd like being closer to the mountains, the more laid back vibe, and having more bars as opposed to club type stuff in lodo. however, I would be heading out to DIA probably twice a month. What do you think would be better, go for Lodo/capitol hill or pearl street in boulder? I am 25, single, and can afford between 1200-1600 a month for a rental.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:02 AM

95 posts, read 290,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent15 View Post
Hello!

I personally would choose boulder 10 times out of 10 over living in Denver.

Boulder has a huge social and nightlife scene, you'll see a lot of college kids however depending on where you choose to go you'll see more or less college folk. Boulder's really not geared for families at all in my opinion. The single's scene is retarded, boulder has more extremely attractive women per sq ft than any other city I've ever been in besides Amsterdam.

Boulder will always cost more than Denver. and not just boulder but boulder county, it's far more expensive than denver in terms of taxes, groceries, gas, fast food. everything's just a little bit more in boulder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by order88 View Post
I have a similar question. I am considering relocating from orange county, ca to the denver-boulder area. I am originally from the Houston area, but spent four years at CSU fort collins. I graduated 3 years ago, and since lived in DC and orange county. While going to CSU, I spent the majority of my time in fort collins or the mountains, with some trips down to denver for shows on broadway/coalfax.

the position would be based out of broomfield. the few times I visited boulder, I always though it was really beautiful. however, my only concern would be if all that would be around are college kids or rich hippies. I'd like being closer to the mountains, the more laid back vibe, and having more bars as opposed to club type stuff in lodo. however, I would be heading out to DIA probably twice a month. What do you think would be better, go for Lodo/capitol hill or pearl street in boulder? I am 25, single, and can afford between 1200-1600 a month for a rental.
boulder would have a much shorter commute to broomsticks. Boulders cool but you have to know the right people. If i didn't know anyone i'd hate it cause the streets are filled with trustifarans. as for the college kids, if your not living like ON THE HILL your not gonna see it as much in other parts of the city. however keep in mind that the city's population fluctuates alot between summer and school year and there are ALOT of college kids around, and you'll notice it way more than if you where in fort collins.. If you live north of pearl it'll be in a dope location where you most likely would be bothered by college kids that much.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:22 AM

73 posts, read 190,678 times
Boulder would be an excellent choice and has a vibrant singles scene. Rent will be higher but most other expenses are similar. If you like the outdoors and mtns. Boulder is much more conducive as you can hike and bike and not have to get in your car to get there. The commute to Broomfield is oppositte most traffic patterns and should be easy.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area