Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:22 PM

156 posts, read 324,561 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the replies guys! The only financial help I am getting (as of now) is through Stafford Loans (12,500 for the year)... My sister attending University of Rochester here in NY and the school actually gave her a $10,000 scholarship so I am hoping Boulder will offer me something along those same lines. I applied to a scholarship website that is designated strictly to residents of Chautauqua County here in NY, they go through your academics and past leadership roles and determine what scholarships you are eligible for. Im hoping my previous internship, deans list, honors mentions and out of school activities will make me eligible for a few scholarships.

I still have to wait and see if I am accepted in Boulder and then go from there. After that I will see how much I will get for scholarships and then make a decision. I will definitely look into Cavalier apartments if I do attend the university.

By no way are my parents rich (actually divorced and barely scraping by but we manage). I figured if I could knock off $15,000 on tuition through scholarships I would consider it.. If not it will probably be too much for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 12:46 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,203,490 times
I should also say that I had a medical problem when I attended that caused me to miss a semester and get in murky water but the admin offices were helpful and straightened everything out once I got a doctor's note and went to the university. Just thought I'd mention since you said you had kidney problems, not sure if you might need to do something like that.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:54 AM

156 posts, read 324,561 times
Thanks for the info Poletop.. My condition isnt really a huge problem. If anyone is actually interested in researching it it is called Nephrotic Syndrome (Minimal Change). It only requires daily medication and the occasional doctor visit every 3-4 months. Thats why I was surprised when LE Departments said I wasnt capable of doing LE work...

It is nice to know that the college will work around medical conditions in case I do have issues with my kidneys

Old 03-21-2011, 11:38 AM

14 posts, read 22,068 times
Default UCB-mobs

Hi,
I am a UCB alumni in science and engineering. It's far better at the graduate level than undergrad. THe campus is crowded, hard to get around on, cost of living is high and students have somewhat of an adversarial relationship with the educators, rare occasion that it's not. Quality education it is not, competitive-very. I would pick a smaller campus if you want a higher quality experience. Job market hasn't progressed since late 1980's with wages at 1990's rates. All that said, if you can stick it out, it's lovely. But, you can get the Colorado experience at one of many schools - Regis, Univ. of Denver, Metro State College. Fort Collins has a lot happening there too at CSU and cost of living is far more affordable, people less snobby.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:17 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,203,490 times
BTW, for the two posters going, feel free to send a msg for any advice on the area, campus, classes, professors, etc. Ill answer it as soon as I see it.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:05 AM

399 posts, read 1,544,347 times
OP, I used to live in Broomfield, just south of Boulder, and I had a job there, but it didn't pay enough so I stayed in my truck parked, or in a cheap motel in Wheatridge. I found some nice apartments up there off the Wadsworth Parkway for around 500+ This would put you in Boulder in about 20 minutes weather permitting, and it's a nice area, with a big park and dog park nearby.

I remember looking at this one really nice place that had nothing in front of it but the foothills, and it was on the top floor, with a mountain view. They wanted $900 for it, and that sounded high. That being said, I paid $1300 here in West LA for a view of my neighbor's window who constantly hacked, (and never died) so I guess that's just another story. But then, I never made there what I make here.

I guess what I am saying is that I would look outside of Boulder into Broomfield, maybe into the mountains past Boulder, or perhaps even Louisville. Anywhere near the Rocky Mountain Airport will get you there in just a few minutes, if you want to escape the higher, Key West appeal of Boulder. It's really like that there.

I also had the immense pleasure of touring the campus one weekend. REALLY GREAT! I suggest you fly out there and try it out, probably in the winter so you get to see the worst of it and decide, but also because you can see the beautiful Chataqua Peaks, which are literally a step off campus! And they are amazing too. There are so many outdoor parks, trails, and overlooks within a short bike ride from the campus. I went there on 4-20 for the tour, so it was rather funny, because they were smoking out the quad. But the campus was great. The GE classes were what you would expect, large halls, but there were smaller classrooms as well. Nothing like here at SMC, with 30-45 in a class...but maybe in the specialized areas.

I think you would like it...to be honest, when I got close to completing my Degree here, I thought about it, because the advisor there turned me down with military money because I needed more Community College experience. I enrolled into Frontrange, but before I could start I lost my job, and the apartment place I put my deposit into to move in got robbed, the night I deposited my check, so I took it as a sign to take a chance and relocate. I moved to LA that month. My impressions of Colorado might have been better had I not relocated there from Key West in November, and kept my job past the Spring. But I worked with a paper that closed down...so it was time to go!

With Denver, a commute is nothing like it is in LA, although the wintery days can be bad, as people there cannot drive in the snow. Sorry if I hurt someone's feelings, but being from IN, I learned to drive in the snow. Never saw so many hydroplanes, accidents, and slides in my life, cars upside down, funny, but scary. Rear-wheel drives, even funnier, but then again, you should see what it's like in Santa Monica when it rains...(Dude, where's my traction?) I saw people hit each other on the freeway and just keep going, like this happens all the time. While I have seen mucho accidentes in LA...well, people seemed to take it more seriously is all. The snow storms are no joke being on the foothills. The winter I was there, they had about 24" of snow in less than 16 hours, and after clearing my truck off twice at my Inn, I found it still to be covered with snow about 8" thick! Be prepared.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:08 PM

26,573 posts, read 26,433,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
There are also very serious, dedicated students there, including quite a few international/foreign students. It's up to you to pick the right crowd to associate with while enrolled.
When I went in the mid to late 1970's (BS Business), I was surrounded by students--especially as a freshman with an undeclared major--who were from east coast prep schools and had SAT scores in the top 10%. Lots of competition. The only classes that were big were the intro courses. There's no place greater than C.U. and Boulder is wonderful. Most of us out-of-staters would have remained after graduation except for the fact that back then, the job market in CO was not good.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:24 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
DMan87 wrote:
Has anyone here attended CU Boulder?
Nah, nobody goes to CU anymore. It has become too popular.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:47 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,136,290 times
Does anyone know anything about the School of Music for grad school? My son is applying to graduate schools this semester for next fall, and has been pretty much given an informal thumbs up for admission to work with a particular professor, with a likely teaching assistantship. I know he's looking at several other schools, also, but I think Boulder and environs might be a cool place for him to live for a bit, since he's an avid mountaineer and likes to climb fourteeners. But if the music school is mediocre, he won't want to attend, in spite of the reputation of the faculty member who has invited him to study with him.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:04 PM

399 posts, read 813,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Does anyone know anything about the School of Music for grad school? My son is applying to graduate schools this semester for next fall, and has been pretty much given an informal thumbs up for admission to work with a particular professor, with a likely teaching assistantship. I know he's looking at several other schools, also, but I think Boulder and environs might be a cool place for him to live for a bit, since he's an avid mountaineer and likes to climb fourteeners. But if the music school is mediocre, he won't want to attend, in spite of the reputation of the faculty member who has invited him to study with him.
Is he the next Beethoven? Because if he is, shouldn't he have gotten other offers from more reputable schools? It might be a bit arrogant to think one is too good for a certain music school too though.

;D They're #22 apparently though. http://www.uscollegeranking.org/musi...g-in-2010.html

He could always try applying or talking to the other 1-21 to see if he's even good enough too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area