Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:29 AM

26,116 posts, read 48,720,528 times

Advertisements

Space....THANK YOU for updating and feedback, we love when people do that.

Idlewile, yes, this will be moved to the Boulder forum asap.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 10:52 AM

352 posts, read 794,347 times
spacebetween,

Thanks for getting back to us with your experience. It provides a good cautionary tale for others re: expectations and word-of-mouth vs. the reality of relocating to any new location.

There's a reason why so many posters here encourage multiple trips to a potential relo area and an initial period of renting before considering home purchase. Some things you simply cannot discover until you are fully "boots on the ground." Once you get through four seasons in a place, you just might discover that it's not quite the perfect fit you first imagined it to be (or were led to believe it would be). Hence the enduring popularity and market for rental moving trucks...

Old 04-04-2012, 12:40 PM

26,116 posts, read 48,720,528 times
The OP must be having a bad day....I hate when that happens....

He had 30 days of company housing when he came here which gave him time to sort out which place was best for him, and all of those with good knowledge of Boulder, to include one poster who is gay, told him Boulder was gay friendly. I can't figure out why it's so wrong for him, either he's having a bad day or he's just an unhappy sort who sees the glass half full, like that gay black character we had in the Denver forum a while back who was so bitterly unhappy that no where on earth would suit him....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:34 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,050,353 times
Default typo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The OP must be having a bad day....I hate when that happens....

He had 30 days of company housing when he came here which gave him time to sort out which place was best for him, and all of those with good knowledge of Boulder, to include one poster who is gay, told him Boulder was gay friendly. I can't figure out why it's so wrong for him, either he's having a bad day or he's just an unhappy sort who sees the glass half full, like that gay black character we had in the Denver forum a while back who was so bitterly unhappy that no where on earth would suit him....
We had friends, [gay couple from the east coast] while living in boulder, who ended up moving from boulder to pdx, b/c the gay community in boulder area was so small. It's not that it's not 'gay friendly', it's just a very small community, and boulder as well does not have an urban vibe [sure, it's got great resources for it's size, but it's not an urban city with an urban gay scene to choose from]. Perhaps this is what the OP means.

And, when we first moved to boulder, we had a hard time finding a decent rental even w/o a dog, b/c we were unfamiliar with the college housing vs. non student housing. It takes awhile to weed through that-our second rental was a much better fit than our first. Perhaps OP ended up in dog friendly student housing? College towns usually have quite a bit of low end housing; no offense to students. Boulder is not different.

I agree boulder is unique and even 'special'; but I would never say i'ts remotely similar to austin. Then again, OP and any others moving, should note size differences in cities. I've seen this in the SFO forum again and again-ppl wonder why SFO is not as great as NYC or LA, for example. [Um, SFO has 750k people, vs. several millions....] I think it's a compliment to boulder to be compared culturally and lifestyle wise to much larger metro areas. BUT, it's still a small college town. You can only be so diverse in that reality. [just like it's a compliment to SFO to be mistaken for a metro area like nyc or LA].

Sounds like the OP would be happier living in denver, and maybe finding a job there eventually to avoid commute.

Also, 'liberal in the way that straight white people would image it', is still someone's reality and paradise. It's still liberal, just not as diverse in terms of demographics, as the OP would like it.

A city can be primarily white and straight, and still be liberal. The fact that it's not diverse does not mean it's not liberal. It does not mean people are excluded, only that they have not chosen to take up residence.

Last edited by lrmsd; 04-04-2012 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area