Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 03:35 AM

5 posts, read 24,196 times

Advertisements

I'm a 23 years old single gay professional living Austin, TX right now. I was recently offered a job with a company in Boulder. I had never even been to the Denver area until my interview last week! From what I saw, Boulder is a cool little town, although I'm not 100% sure it fits my lifestyle. Based on my conversations with people at my new company, I got the vibe that most of the younger crowd that likes to have a social life tends to prefer Denver -- I was specifically told about the LoDo area, for instance. So I'm looking for some advice on where I should start my search for living. Fortunately I have 30 days of corporate housing in Boulder, so I'll be able to make an educated decision, and I'll get to experience Boulder firsthand.

More about me:

*23 years old
*Single
*Gay
*Job in Boulder
*Likes to party/drink/go to clubs and bars
*I have a dog, so I need access to outdoor areas for her
*Love the big city, urban feel, but that's not the absolute most important thing
*Public transportation is a MUST, as I do not have a car right now (how is public transportation in Denver? I've heard very mixed responses)
*$50k salary (is that a good salary for someone like me in the Denver area?)

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 07:21 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,967,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacebetween View Post
I'm a 23 years old single gay professional living Austin, TX right now. I was recently offered a job with a company in Boulder. I had never even been to the Denver area until my interview last week! From what I saw, Boulder is a cool little town, although I'm not 100% sure it fits my lifestyle. Based on my conversations with people at my new company, I got the vibe that most of the younger crowd that likes to have a social life tends to prefer Denver -- I was specifically told about the LoDo area, for instance. So I'm looking for some advice on where I should start my search for living. Fortunately I have 30 days of corporate housing in Boulder, so I'll be able to make an educated decision, and I'll get to experience Boulder firsthand.

More about me:

*23 years old
*Single
*Gay
*Job in Boulder
*Love the big city, urban feel, but that's not the absolute most important thing
*Public transportation is a MUST, as I do not have a car right now (how is public transportation in Denver? I've heard very mixed responses)

Thanks!!!
Boulder meets your criteria. It would be perfect for you. Especially if you want to have a social life. Because spending two or three hours a day riding busses between Denver and Boulder would put a big crimper on your social life.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:35 AM

544 posts, read 1,478,822 times
The history of Boulder is very accepting to gays; it was one of the very first places, in fact, where you could see gay couples holding hands, walking down the street, etc. It's very openminded and gay friendly! Big Buddhist community, too. It's a great place.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:04 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,183,568 times
Quote:

More about me:

*23 years old
*Single
*Gay
*Job in Boulder

Thanks!!!
Boulder meets all of your criteria better than Denver and why would you want the commute the winter? Also, public transportation is very good and easy to access in Boulder, not as easy in Denver. Also, coming from Austin, I would pick Boulder over Denver. Denver is okay, Boulder is special and more strongly supports all of your lifestyle requirements.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:55 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,091,768 times
Quote:

More about me:

*23 years old
*Single
*Gay
*Job in Boulder

Thanks!!!
How would you take care of a dog if you lived in Denver and were gone 12 hours a day? It would probably take well over an hour to get back and forth to Boulder by bus.

Boulder is a fun town, extremely gay-friendly, and has a reasonably urban feel downtown. Denver's great too, but being that far from work would definitely impact your life. Even if you had a car, with traffic, it's a miserable drive.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:01 PM

431 posts, read 1,236,459 times
Denver and Boulder will also be connected by rail in the next 5 years. There is already BRT between the two cities.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:13 AM

Thanks so much for the responses, I really appreciate it! The car issue would solve itself in the next few months, but Boulder is looking more and more attractive the more I find out about it, anyway.

Now to just figure out where in or around Boulder I should look...

Old 03-29-2011, 01:12 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,334,234 times
Don't think there is anything wrong with boulder or living there at all. If you like outdoor stuff, it is the place to be IMO. Love outdoors here so I end up going to boulder more than any other place so I wish i lived there. Boulder is a bit more $$$ than the Denver Metro area, thou.

Best thing to do is to check it out as see if you like it. If i'd work there I'd live there instead of commuting from Denver.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:10 PM

Just thought I'd add on to this thread since I've now lived in Boulder for almost a year.

Most of what I heard about Boulder being "liberal" and "gay-friendly" is pretty much false. True, I won't be harassed for being gay, but as a homosexual person, finding others like me is EXTREMELY difficult. I'd say Boulder is liberal in a way that reflects the "liberal" manner in which white, wealthy, straight people would expect it.

Now, on the other hand, if you spend everyday outside climbing/hiking/whatever, then maybe Boulder would be your cup of tea. As someone from Austin, I don't find it similar in very many ways.

This isn't a diss on Boulder -- I just want others to be aware of what they're getting themselves into. I wish I knew better.

As a side note, Boulder is one of the least diverse places I have ever been in my life. And I went to high school in the suburbs of Texas.

Also, as far as being a dog owner goes (now that my baby is here with me), Boulder is not very dog-friendly. Leash-free parks are VERY far and few in-between. Almost non-existent. It's almost impossible to rent anywhere that allows dogs, so I have to do so without telling the landlord (and by the way, you'll have to succumb to a disgusting old place that hasn't been remodeled since 1892). I guess if you can manage to sneak a dog into this town then it might be kind of fun every now and then, but it's not that easy, unfortunately.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-04-2012 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 04-04-2012, 08:55 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,183,568 times
(This thread should probably be moved to the Boulder forum.) Having had a dog in Boulder I disagree, Boulder is incredibly dog friendly. The Voice and Sight Tag Program (green tag) makes it one of the dog-friendliest places around. There are multiple dog parks on the outskirts of Boulder if you choose not to go green tag. Many businesses -- retail and workplaces -- allow dogs on premises. There are many, many dog outing groups that meet regularly. There are 23 dog-friendly patios Dog Friendly Patios | Dining | Downtown Boulder CO Heck, even the mall allows dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area