Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 06:41 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,118,733 times

Advertisements

Could it be? An article in the Denver Post tells us that "CBS Sunday Morning" said so. Did anybody here see the show (I didn't, and had not heard about it before seeing this article)? If so, what did you think?

Is Boulder the happiest city in America?

Quote:
"CBS Sunday Morning" told us Sunday that Boulder is the happiest place in America.

The segment opened with a shot of Boulder's prominent restaurateur David Query, fly fishing before he heads to his office, just five minutes away.

"Boulder, Colorado," says reporter Jim Alexrod. "Where Dave, who owns a restaurant called (what else?) 'Happy,' is far from the only one who is mainlining the vibe of well-being If happiness is a state of mind, Boulder is its capital."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 08:50 PM

26,174 posts, read 48,888,485 times
I saw the show and thought it had many valid points. I rarely hear any bad news coming out of Boulder.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:40 PM

87 posts, read 416,030 times
I work in Boulder with the homeless and those with drug and alcohol addictions. These are not happy people.

I didn't see the show, but I'm guessing they didn't include these folks. Maybe someday David Query may hook one of the homeless persons that are occasionally found dead in Boulder Creek.

Happy happy joy joy....sorry just a reality check. Well, I guess everyone's happy on 7/20!

Old 05-09-2011, 10:33 PM

9 posts, read 15,794 times
Default Define Happy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davya View Post
I work in Boulder with the homeless and those with drug and alcohol addictions. These are not happy people.

I didn't see the show, but I'm guessing they didn't include these folks. Maybe someday David Query may hook one of the homeless persons that are occasionally found dead in Boulder
homeless & addicted likely not happy anywhere so let's just eliminate them from the poll. Or, provided with their drug of choice and a no-responsibility way of life maybe they are much happier than others. We let them camp out (for now), they got away scott-free after setting fire to a good portion of Settlers Park last year (betcha that made 'em happy), and Boulder's guiltiest trustfunders love to dole out a buck or two from their M3s to the now ubiquitous stoplight panhandlers.

But my, what a morbidly odd fantasy displayed by wishing that folks find random dead homeless addicts bobbing in our creek. Truth is that's more likely up among the Longmont demographics but why go there?

Old 05-10-2011, 08:16 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,940,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDammer View Post
Truth is that's more likely up among the Longmont demographics but why go there?
Really not necessary.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:26 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I saw the show and thought it had many valid points. I rarely hear any bad news coming out of Boulder.
Seen on my Facebook account:

"These polls that rate Boulder as the "healthiest city" must ignore stats on drug addicition and eating disorders...."

Old 05-10-2011, 09:33 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,862,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Could it be? An article in the Denver Post tells us that "CBS Sunday Morning" said so. Did anybody here see the show (I didn't, and had not heard about it before seeing this article)? If so, what did you think?

Is Boulder the happiest city in America?
People in Boulder are always in an almost strange good mood.....

Old 05-10-2011, 09:43 AM

73 posts, read 190,405 times
Boulder is a city with great lifestyle opportunities and much tolerance. I think the articles are pretty spot on.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:01 AM

724 posts, read 1,930,381 times
I know I'm happy every time I'm there.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:20 PM

11,550 posts, read 53,054,760 times
If you work from the premise that happiness is a state of mind ...

Well, there are a lot of happy people in Boulder.

But there's also a lot of folk there that aren't, given the politics of control that dominate the place, which I saw firsthand being implemented in the late 1960's ... everything from highly restrictive zoning and use laws to limiting new building permits, etc (which drove up the exclusivity and price of housing to astronomical levels ... I'd bought a large brick house on the hill in 1966 for $30,000 which sold for 3x that a few years later, and is now a multi-million dollar property as of the last sales).

I watched several long established Boulder area horse boarding operations be forced out of business when the newer neighbors who liked the scenery of their adjacent privately owned lands discover that horse boarding activity can include animal smells, sounds, insects, and business activity in their now residential area which offended them. The new zoning laws mandated how many horses (hence, volume of business) could be kept on the premises, which reduced the cash flow below what could support the historical operations. Similarly, a lot of ag activity in the area has been curtailed or driven off by zoning (dust, smells, noise ... all highly offensive to the new residents). Boulder aggressively sought and succeeded in making pricey enclaves around publicly owned open space lands ... which can be a wonderful view or source of local recreation, but limited to those who can now afford to buy residential properties adjacent or who live very close by. There's a number of folk who were forced out of the area by the tax rise due to their increased property valuations ... now gone, so I suppose their view of happiness in Boulder doesn't count anymore because they've been priced out of the area.

I've known a fair number of businesses that have left the area due to the excessive costs for their staff, which used to have good paying jobs for the area. Ever checked out some of the older industrial facilities on the North end of Boulder? Driven out by all those happy people remaining in the Boulder area ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area