Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 03:34 PM

724 posts, read 1,934,019 times

Advertisements

Anything East of Denver is Kansas - barren, flat and ugly. But on Arvada, we did drive through some of it, and didn't like the feel. The trees were nice, but the areas we saw (I'd be the first to say we didn't see it all) were, well, dingy, questionable neighborhoods under the shadow of the highways. Maybe we just hit the worst of it. I'd still recommend seeing for yourself.

I would like to know what you think of Boulder Heights and Pine Brook Hills - we didn't get there last trip, but I don't think it's city enough for us - getting to and from shopping, hwy 70, Denver looks like a bear.

Last edited by qfrost; 05-12-2011 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 03:56 PM

23 posts, read 66,012 times
I will be updating as we go this weekend in case we are looking for other options too.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:05 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qfrost View Post
Anything East of Denver is Kansas - barren, flat and ugly. But on Arvada, we did drive through some of it, and didn't like the feel. The trees were nice, but the areas we saw (I'd be the first to say we didn't see it all) were, well, dingy, questionable neighborhoods under the shadow of the highways. Maybe we just hit the worst of it. I'd still recommend seeing for yourself.

I would like to know what you think of Boulder Heights and Pine Brook Hills - we didn't get there last trip, but I don't think it's city enough for us - getting to and from shopping, hwy 70, Denver looks like a bear.
Yes, I do not think you drove through Arvada on the highway--because there is no highway that runs through Arvada. The nearest is I-70 that runs through the northern part of Wheat Ridge and is mostly adjacent to light industrial and you can see some of the industrial parts of Arvada and some very old neighborhoods.

You best bet in seeing Arvada is driving west on 72nd. going to Indiana. You will then be on the crest of the valley and it will give you a much better view. West 80th past Simms will also give you a good overlook.

Driving North or South on Simms and Oak will give you some good appreciation of the nice housing in Arvada.

In addition, driving on west 58th and curving up to west 64th, you will be on Ralston Road which will take you past old town Arvada and through more residential, which get newer as you go west.

I think Arvada has the best blend of a small town feel of any of the suburbs because it is not a crossover town, with highways, that take people to other places. It is fully opened to the foothills to the west with expansive open space. Also, it has a fully functional old town area with a Main Street, as it was formed separately from Denver, as an agricultural community.

Livecontent

Old 05-12-2011, 04:16 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izziguy View Post
So my options are Pine Brook and Boulder Hieghts basically. Does anyone know anyone living in those areas with families?

I have relatives living in Boulder Heights. The big problem is that the kids feel isolated from others because they could not hang out with their friends, very easily. They always needed their parents to drive them. When the teenage boy got to high school, he hated it because he wanted to spend more time with after school acitivities.

Of course, before he drove, he wanted to walk to the local stores and practice the mating ritual of gathering and googling the girls with the girls gaggling in giggling groups. Could not do it in the mountains--no place to gather, goggle and giggle.

After he got his license, there was the concern of driving up and down these roads with the his youthful lack of experience and concentration which is very necessary on these snowy roads. Driving on these roads is much more dangerous than snowly roads in the east--I grew up near Buffalo, I know.

There is also problems with water, cell phone coverage, sewage etc. Some people move there with some perceptions that are all wrong and end up moving.

Livecontent

Old 05-12-2011, 04:26 PM

352 posts, read 797,549 times
I don't live in Boulder anymore, so someone more current might refute what I am saying.

One of the best things about living in North Boulder, to me, was access to public transit. It was a wonderful day when my children could walk to the bus stop or to a friend's house, go to Pearl Street, get to the pool or park or school or library without me or their Dad having to drive them!

Both my children had friends in PineBrook Hills, and I remember thinking that those parents would never enjoy the parental thrill of their younger kids walking or bussing home from the N Bldr Rec Center or N Bldr Park. Maybe they could bike as they got older, but it's pretty steep around there.

Then again, I know that many people live up in the hills and love it and I suppose they don't mind schlepping all the time and filling their gas tanks. To each, his/her own.

Just something to consider as you review your personal/environmental/cost/time priority rubric.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:28 PM

352 posts, read 797,549 times
LOL. Just saw what LiveContent posted. Great minds and all that, I suppose...

Old 05-12-2011, 04:37 PM

73 posts, read 190,689 times
I have lived in Boulder Heights and it is much more remote and the driving is much tougher than most Pine Brook locations. Pine Brook is much closer in and much more family friendly in the location to get kids around. Rec Center and Ball fields are minutes away as is downtown compared to a 12-15 minute ride to town from Boulder Heights that can be tough many winter days.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:00 PM

23 posts, read 66,012 times
Is it Boulder Heights is just an area that hasn't been expanded into yet and untapped. Sort of Pine Brook however many years ago?a

Old 05-12-2011, 05:15 PM

724 posts, read 1,934,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Yes, I do not think you drove through Arvada on the highway
Livecontent
I should have been more specific. We got off 70 at some exit in Arvada and took surface streets north. Just to clarify.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I would say don't pin all your hopes on one neighborhood w/o taking a look around. What neighborhood you like is a highly personal decision.

If you're looking for sense of community, there are Louisville, Lafayette, Broomfield and many others. These places don't have the 5 acre lots, though. Broomfield has one area called Pony Estates that has large lots, but I don't think any that big, and the houses are at least 30 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area