Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 01:41 AM

2 posts, read 5,001 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am a 21 year old grad student severely regretting my condo purchase.

I'm currently having a problem caused by my own reckless abandon in buying a place.

I currently live in Broomfield in a nice 2 bed/2 bath condo. I live alone and will likely have a roommate in a few months if i decide to stay.

However, I used to live in Boulder and I'm sincerely missing living there. I really don't think Broomfield has anywhere near the activity or charm of Boulder and the 20 minute drive to get there every single day is grating on me.

I can't sell my condo as I'd likely take a 15k net loss on selling it. I'm very very unhappy at this point with my condo and somewhat wishing I had gone with one of the places I saw in Gunbarrel.

This leaves me with two options:

1) Stay in Broomfield, 20 minutes from everything and everyone (I do everything in Boulder. I am grad student at CU to boot.)

2) Live in Boulder for 600 or less a month and rent out my condo.

I'd like some opinions on this. I feel really disconnected out here and I'm not sure I want to be here much longer. Thanks!

Last edited by sykedoc; 08-01-2011 at 03:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 07:02 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
If you are that miserable in Broomfield, then go with option 2.

Just make sure you really, really want to be a landlord and dot every i and cross every t. Make sure you really understand Colorado law when it comes to being a landlord.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:56 AM

724 posts, read 1,933,875 times
Option 2 is your only choice, if you felt strong enough to post about it. But correct me if I'm wrong, but CAN you get a place for 600 in Boulder? Seems low.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:50 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Rent it out and live in Boulder. You've learned a bit of a lesson, and if you can cover the note on the condo while living in Boulder then it doesn't sound like you're learning one of those very expensive lessons that some have learned in the past few years.

Not sure the rental market in Broomfield, but here in COLO SPGS the rental market is tight enough to support price increases.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,001 times
I guess my biggest concern is that 20 minutes will be a hell of a distance for me and that there is nothing here for me.

Disregarding my own personal feelings on the area, what do you all think of the situation?

Old 08-01-2011, 07:12 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykedoc View Post
\

Disregarding my own personal feelings on the area, what do you all think of the situation?
I personally would suck it up and deal with it until I was in a better position (the ability to sell the condo at a gain, and the ability to buy or rent something comfortably in Boulder) to move back to Boulder.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:24 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Boulder is not the ultimate goal and it not the only place--it is only part of the journey of life, for most people grow up and move on. Your are grad student now, but you will not be one tomorrow. You are 21 today but soon you will not. When, you finish grad school, you will be moving on to a job and most jobs are in Denver--so you are closer; at the same time you have access to any opportunities in Boulder.

I would assume if you bought a condo, you were planning to stay in the area and that you are a well off grad student. If you are going to stay in the area, then it is best to develop contacts and acquire knowledge in the whole area vs. only having Boulder Buddies and only know Boulder Businesses.

Yea, I know you want the frivolities, fun and friendships in Boulder to extend the fantastic, flighty, feelings of your college years but to some, grad studies is to seriously prepare for a career and nothing is better than making more professional contacts in a larger city, like Denver.

Just a thought from a senior citizen, who thinks he knows because he has been down that path, but perhaps knows nothing.

Livecontent

Old 08-04-2011, 06:35 PM

205 posts, read 503,580 times
If it were me, I'd stay put in Broomfield and just accept the 20 minute drive. I wouldn't take on the responsibility of being a landlord. You'll have to deal with finding decent tenants and taking care of any problems with the condo along the way. Hot water heaters always seem to leak on Saturday at 6:00PM. You also need to be able to carry the condo costs if you go through a period when it's not rented.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:49 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
Yes, being a land lord is not for the faint of heart!

We own commercial property and are unbelievable lucky to have a great tenant. But trust me, I still stress EVERY month regarding rent. He has never been late - in fact, always early, but given the economy, you never know when that month will be the one when your renter can't pay.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area