Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 12:48 AM

1 posts, read 7,508 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any knowledge of Lafayette, Broomfield or Erie colorado areas? How is the weather compared to Colorado Springs? All these cities seemed nice (and small by California standards) but they were also close to Denver and Boulder if you need to go into a large city for shopping, concerts etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2006, 11:49 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,324,946 times
Lafayette and Broomfield are both technically suburbs of Denver. They are both a little nicer then your typical suburb because they have more of a communty then other Denver suburbs such as Aurora or Littleton but they are still suburbs. Both are about 20-30 minutes from Denver and about 15 from Boulder but there is plenty of shopping in the area, Flatirons Crossing in Broomfield is one of the regions most popular malls. I don't know much about Erie as I have never been there, but I do know it is much more rural. Erie is a little ways past where the current development fringe is but Denver/Boulder is rapidly growing so development is slowly encroaching on the area. I get the feeling that Erie will soon become just another suburb, but the northern suburbs in Denver are much more progressive so its not all bad.

Also the weather in these towns is a little harsher then then in the springs. CS has milder weather then the Denver region, and generally the farther north or closer you get to the mountains the worse the weather gets. However CS is milder then Pueblo giving it some of the most mild weather in Colorado so the comparison is kind of unfair. The climate in these towns is really quite livable. The highs and lows are generally very pleasent and the little snow you do get melts within a few hours.

Last edited by Marka; 05-13-2006 at 12:33 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 09-04-2006, 01:23 AM

18 posts, read 94,696 times
Default Broomfiled, Erie, Lafayette, Louisville

My questions about these towns. I live in Phoenix at this time, looking to relo.

1. What is commute time (dry/snow) from these towns to Englewood?

2. What can you tell me about these towns in terms of type of people, feel of the town (small? metro? in between?)...

3. How long to get from these towns up into some mountain/forest area for a campfire?

4. Can I get a 3bd/2ba for $180k-$220k in a safe/good schools community in these towns?

I asked some other questions a long time ago in this forum and found everyone helpful, thanks for that! I look forward to these answers...

Thanks much...

Old 09-04-2006, 11:42 AM

11,815 posts, read 34,276,866 times
It would be easier to ask for what you want in a community. Do drive times of more than an hour make you cringe? Even with light rail Englewood to Erie would be an hour and fifteen to an hour and a half depending on where in Englewood & where in Erie.

Campfires can be 1/2 hour away or not allowed at all by the state/county/park service...

Old 09-04-2006, 12:11 PM

What I'm looking for - No broken-down Camaro's and tons of white-trash renters. Professional, college educated, family values, more rural than metro is fine. Upper scale but not a BMW competition. I don't like what I'm hearing about much of Aurora, Commerce City and some parts of Thornton/Northglenn. I've lived in that environment for 5 years and am done with it (have small kids now).

Drving: My worst case traffic scenario is Erie to Englewood, because I will likely be working in Boulder, Broomfield or Downtown Denver. Hence my interest in living in Broomfiled/Louisville/Lafayette/Erie.

I'm willing to drive one hour each way, one hour thirty minutes or so in snow each way. I've been driving one hour each way for five years and I'm willing to continue doing it if need be (for instance, if I wind up living in Erie and get a job in Englewood).

Thanks! Most interested to get responses...

Old 09-04-2006, 03:34 PM

11,815 posts, read 34,276,866 times
3 hours in the big snow, if at all. Double commute times for 3-12 inches. Often, highway speeds are less than 15 mph in more than 4 inches of snow.

I'd say get a job first and then look at tolerable commutes.

Broomfield, Louisville, Erie are ok if you work at Interlocken/Boulder/North Jeffco/Downtown Englewood is ok if you work at the Tech Center or Downtown. Best school systems in the state are Cherry Creek & Douglas County. Jeffco & Boulder are highly regarded.

We invented the planned urban development (PUD), most of the communities are covenant controlled, except rural areas...piles of firewood, old junk & well & septic abound, as well as mediocre schools and horrible roads.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:18 AM

So, it's starting to sound like Erie might be out...

Is there anything undesirable about Broomfield, Lafayette or Louisville? Again, comparing to Aurora / Commerce City...

Old 01-17-2008, 05:24 PM

50 posts, read 168,339 times
Default Louisville/Lafayette/Erie

My husband and I are looking in the Louisville/Lafayette/Erie area to start a family and had a few questions. My husband works in Commerce City and I wonder how the commute will be. Also I was looking at the community called Vista Ridge in Erie and was wondering how big it is. It looks huge from the website and how many builders there are. Is that how most neighborhoods are in that area with pool/tennis/amenities center??? Dont' mind that, but I noticed how big the price range is for the community 160K-800K and can you tell the difference from the lower end homes to higher end homes? We are looking to spend about 300K-350K and have heard great things about these areas!!

Old 01-17-2008, 06:19 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,193,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhc0607 View Post
My husband and I are looking in the Louisville/Lafayette/Erie area to start a family and had a few questions. My husband works in Commerce City and I wonder how the commute will be. Also I was looking at the community called Vista Ridge in Erie and was wondering how big it is. It looks huge from the website and how many builders there are. Is that how most neighborhoods are in that area with pool/tennis/amenities center??? Dont' mind that, but I noticed how big the price range is for the community 160K-800K and can you tell the difference from the lower end homes to higher end homes? We are looking to spend about 300K-350K and have heard great things about these areas!!
Most of those questions can be answered by going over there and talking to the management and by looking around. My guess is the lower end homes are smaller and on smaller lots.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:04 PM

698 posts, read 2,039,343 times
I have a friend who lives in Vista Ridge and they really like it. The only negative they say is that it's still a bit far from shopping etc.. but there is a bunch of development coming soon or already in the works near there for that. Commuting to Commerce City from there will be a bit hellish I'm afraid, in rush hour traffic expect 40 minutes on a good day and 1 hour on a not so good day (snow/accidents).

The reason the prices range so widely is that the development contains lots of different housing types: condos, townhomes, and single family homes.

You might consider looking a little bit closer to the Denver metro area such as Broomfield and Westminster. There's two nice neighborhoods with homes around your price range in Broomfield that I can think of--McKay Landing and The Broadlands. From Broomfield, a commute to Commerce City will be about 30 minutes, 45 on a bad day (also depends on where in CC).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area