Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 09:07 AM

547 posts, read 1,434,341 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Boulder, but I have been to Jackson Hole, WY. When I picture Boulder for some reason I picture Jackson Hole (which I love) and I was just wondering if this unexplained association is in anyway accurate. Has anyone been to both? How do they compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 09:36 AM

724 posts, read 1,933,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettjr View Post
I've never been to Boulder, but I have been to Jackson Hole, WY. When I picture Boulder for some reason I picture Jackson Hole (which I love) and I was just wondering if this unexplained association is in anyway accurate. Has anyone been to both? How do they compare?
Jackson Hole is a world-renowned ski resort *in* the mountains, with all that goes with that. Boulder isn't in the mountains, and would better be described as a college town. Not knocking Boulder at all, but it's nothing like Jackson Hole, or vice-versa. Just to clarify (and you probably already know this), Jackson Hole is not the town. That would be Jackson.

Last edited by qfrost; 08-17-2011 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: town clarification

Old 08-17-2011, 09:43 AM

547 posts, read 1,434,341 times
Thanks for the reply. Would you say maybe Aspen and JH are similar? I'm from Austin, so maybe Boulder is more like Austin, only smaller?

Old 08-17-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettjr View Post
Thanks for the reply. Would you say maybe Aspen and JH are similar? I'm from Austin, so maybe Boulder is more like Austin, only smaller?
You know, I lived in Austin for a year - on the west side, in the hill country. There are things that remind me of Austin in and around Boulder, like the access to the outdoors (in Austin, the river and bike trails, and Lake Travis, Boulder has the biking and hiking trails). Boulder is more compact by comparison, has better seasons for my taste, and easy access to the mountains, which puts a real change in terrain within a quick drive. Boulder is more expensive than Austin, however. Both are progressive and have a lot of creative energy.

Yes, I would put Aspen in the same category as Jackson Hole.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:34 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,796 times
I lived in Boulder for 15 years, have spent time in Austin, more time in Jackson and even more in Aspen. I can't find many similarities between them except the obvious: both Austin & Boulder are college towns. People have said that Boulder "could be" a smaller Austin. I just don't get that feel.
I can picture downtown Aspen and Boulder being a little similar in that there are beautiful old Victorian buildings and a pedestrian mall but that's about it.
I don't get any connection/similarity between Aspen and Jackson at all. Well, except there are lots of wealthy people and skiing.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
Well, except there are lots of wealthy people and skiing.
That's sort of what I was thinking, high-end shopping and apres-ski. And, of course, the mountain views.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:28 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,796 times
Somehow my Jackson/Boulder comparison dropped out when I edited. It should have read: I don't find much similarity between Boulder and Jackson except that they are both located in valleys. Jackson has an upscale "old west" feel to it - Boulder does not.

Last edited by Neditate; 08-17-2011 at 09:40 PM..

Old 08-18-2011, 07:39 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,133,170 times
Boulder and Jackson are in the same time zone. Both locations have lots of people who are in shape, and passionate for some mountain sport. Both have climbing communities, etc.

For me, that's where the similarities end. One's a resort town, the other's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
View detailed profiles of: