U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-15-2007, 05:16 PM

7 posts, read 23,540 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a job offer at the Lockheed Martin facility at Waterton Canyon. I'm single, mid-40s, have visited the Denver area several times and believe that either downtown Denver (LoDo or across the Platte) or the area around Louisville-to-Broomfield would be where I want to live. The southern Denver area is close to the job and is beautiful but seems very family-oriented so downtown (I'm not into the bar scene but like live music, museums, arts) or the greater Boulder area (outdoor activities, active lifestyle with other singles) seems like a good fit. My question though is the commute. I've already checked RTD and that is over an hour each direction. What should I expect driving in a car for the LoDo-Waterton or Louisville-Waterton commute in each direction - both in good weather or bad weather? Are there any other areas that would be recommended for a single person my age working at Waterton? Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 07:22 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,916,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denver82007 View Post
I'm single, mid-40s, have visited the Denver area several times and believe that either downtown Denver (LoDo or across the Platte) or the area around Louisville-to-Broomfield would be where I want to live.
Can't give you specifics. You have a good thing going there for you at Waterton.

Big question: Are you renting or buying? What's your rent monthly budget or home purchase target price? What's your commute comfort zone in minutes?

If you are buying, consider living in such a place that "Plan B" is also commutable. I live near Monument: Jobs in Colorado Springs AND jobs in Denver.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:29 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 11 days ago)

70,058 posts, read 60,607,466 times
Quote:
I'm considering a job offer at the Lockheed Martin facility at Waterton Canyon. I'm single, mid-40s, have visited the Denver area several times and believe that either downtown Denver (LoDo or across the Platte) or the area around Louisville-to-Broomfield would be where I want to live. The southern Denver area is close to the job and is beautiful but seems very family-oriented so downtown (I'm not into the bar scene but like live music, museums, arts) or the greater Boulder area (outdoor activities, active lifestyle with other singles) seems like a good fit. My question though is the commute. I've already checked RTD and that is over an hour each direction. What should I expect driving in a car for the LoDo-Waterton or Louisville-Waterton commute in each direction - both in good weather or bad weather? Are there any other areas that would be recommended for a single person my age working at Waterton? Thanks in advance for your help.
I would say at least an hour from Louisville. Louisville is also a very family oriented community. You might feel more comfortable in Boulder. The drive probably wouldn't be much longer (as in a few more minutes).

Old 08-15-2007, 08:52 PM

4,931 posts, read 8,814,715 times
Quote:
It is apparent that you are a highly educated and sophisticated person considering your jobs and interest. I would think that downtown would be ideal for you. The commute would not be too bad because you can take the light rail on the southwest line. There are two lines that serve the southwest the C (from union station) and the D from the middle of downtown from 30th and Downing. They run very frequently and then you get the the Littleton Station on the Southwest Line, This will take about about 24 minutes. There you take an express bus 63X which originates from this station. It is 16 minutes to Waterton from Littleton to the first stop at Lockheed Martin.
So we are saying 40 minutes, add 10 minutes for variation and it is 50 minutes. It would be the same or more to drive.

You will then be living close to the arts and music venues of downtown. Or you can make it simple, live in old town Littleton. It is beautiful and walk to the station and have only 16 minutes to work; you will also have a easy commute to downtown on the light rail. These are both good choices.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:27 PM

8,673 posts, read 19,330,735 times
I'd suggest Belmar in Lakewood (35 minutes) or Lone Tree (going the opposite of most traffic - 20 minutes) or downtown Littleton (15 minutes) Castle Rock would even be a better option.

Dowtown Littleton is on light rail, so you can get downtown whenever you please without parking hassles.

Living in Louisville or Boulder would be harsh. Harsh on your car, harsh on the environment, and particularly harsh on your time.

Many of the Martins live in Castle Pines, HR, Castle Rock, Lone Tree, Littleton, South Jeffco, Englewood...

Old 08-15-2007, 11:38 PM

Default Thanks for your inputs

Thank you for your responses. To answer your helpful replies:
- Charles: I plan to buy but might rent a couple of months to get a feel for the area. I am willing to go to $500K but only want what I need (i.e. I am willing to go to $500K if that is what is needed for a LoDo loft but I don't want a 4 or 5 bedroom house for $500K in the suburbs). The biggest house I would want is 3/2. I like the area between C Springs and Denver a lot but I play the sport of squash and the only active clubs are downtown Denver (DAC) and Boulder (FAC).
- pittnurse70: Yes, I do believe Boulder is more to what I would want. Thanks for the insights on Louisville. The reason I was thinking of Louisville to Broomfield is to take advantage of the lower housing cost while still being close to Boulder for all the Boulder advantages.
- livecontent: Thanks for the kind comments and also the great commute information. I didn't know about old town Littleton so I'll take a look into that area.

Some people at work today also mentioned Lakewood or Washington Park. I'll be looking into those options.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:50 AM

2,755 posts, read 8,690,616 times
Instead of Wash Park, you might consider the Platt Park neighborhood. For one thing, it is much more affordable than Wash Park. There are several good threads on that neighborhood on this board, and it would be on the way to your job site down there.

IMO, Boulder County is just too far -- even if you could tolerate the commute, I'm not sure it's the responsible thing to do. I wouldn't even consider anything north of Downtown Denver, and Downtown only because you could take transit.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:58 PM

4,931 posts, read 8,814,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Instead of Wash Park, you might consider the Platt Park neighborhood. For one thing, it is much more affordable than Wash Park. There are several good threads on that neighborhood on this board, and it would be on the way to your job site down there.

IMO, Boulder County is just too far -- even if you could tolerate the commute, I'm not sure it's the responsible thing to do. I wouldn't even consider anything north of Downtown Denver, and Downtown only because you could take transit.
I agree Platt Park is a good choice. It is also close to Denver University, so you will have the arts and music that a University Community provides. In addition, there are existing light rail lines in the area that are very convenience. Pearl and Louisiana, University Station.(I am always pushing public transit-a campaign of mine). Then you can get to downtown fast and your job is not too far away.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:17 PM

739 posts, read 2,094,865 times
I agree about Platte Park and there are some great projects underway over there. I love Wash Park too but I think you will get the lifestyle you want in Platte park and a more updated home for the price- it is not all that convenient for getting to the DAC though...

Also may wish to consider Golden Triangle- not as far north as Lodo, still can get on highway easily or over to light rail, can walk to the DAC and get a nice loft/condo....

DAC is great by the way, used to be a member there and also lived in golden triangle.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:53 PM

Thanks for all the additional great advice and thoughts. I've learned of areas I didn't even know. I'll be going out for an area visit in a week and look forward to checking out the areas mentioned. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area