Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 12:36 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,043,391 times

Advertisements

Only 8 trails open, but supposedly 22 inch base and some fresh snow in the past 72 hours, if I'm to believe their snow report. I know, it's probably nothing to get you, locals, excited about , but I'm getting antsy. Do any of you ski Eldora, or do you "drive I-70"? If you do Eldora - what are your favorite trails? What time does it normally get crowded on weekends? What do you love and hate about it?
We bought a family pass to Eldora this year, because I don't see ourselves getting up at 4 o'clock on Saturday to go to Vail, or Keystone. With the rest of the stuff that our two-working-adults family has to do during weekends, we need something where we can get fast. Plus, we are not that good .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 01:08 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
Only 8 trails open, but supposedly 22 inch base and some fresh snow in the past 72 hours, if I'm to believe their snow report. I know, it's probably nothing to get you, locals, excited about , but I'm getting antsy. Do any of you ski Eldora, or do you "drive I-70"? If you do Eldora - what are your favorite trails? What time does it normally get crowded on weekends? What do you love and hate about it?
We bought a family pass to Eldora this year, because I don't see ourselves getting up at 4 o'clock on Saturday to go to Vail, or Keystone. With the rest of the stuff that our two-working-adults family has to do during weekends, we need something where we can get fast. Plus, we are not that good .
Eldora is great for families, a low key old-fashioned ski area - not a resort. There are great 6 week learn to ski programs for kids. It's not a large area, but there is variety in the slopes.

The biggest discomfort at Eldora is wind.

It's very convenient for metro-Boulder area folks, and fun. Not the most exciting place to ski, but it's "in your backyard."

Old 11-18-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
There are great 6 week learn to ski programs for kids.
Yes, we signed our 7-year-old up. Not sure what to do with a 13 -year-old. He is probably not that good for their teen program, and has much more intense weekend schedule, being a competitive swimmer. He will probably just go with us as many times as he wants during winter. Much better than once a year one-week vacation he was getting before.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:57 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,128 times
I am always excited when Eldora opens and I'm a local. I wasn't able to get up there today but it was a beautiful opening day.
I ski Eldora a few times a week all season long. I rarely ski there on weekends because I am spoiled having the place "to myself" during the week. My favorite trails are LaBelle, Corona, Powderhorn and Lower Ambush.
I love Eldora because it's 15 min. from my house, it's never crowded, no lift lines, I don't have to pay to park and the people who work there are really nice. I don't "hate" anything about Eldora, but I get bummed when I plan to ski and they have to put the lifts on wind hold. (By the way, it was much windier in Boulder today than it was up here so no problem.)
When we "drive I-70" we go to A Basin or Copper Mountain.
Ohio, there is plenty of terrain to keep you and the kids entertained. You will have fun!

Old 11-19-2011, 04:24 PM

Thank you, Neditate, I'm sure we will have tons of fun! I actually skied Eldora once last year, and was very impressed. Coming from Midwest, where we had to drive for hours to reach a ski hill (and it really was a HILL), I felt like I was in paradise. All this 35 min drive from the house! And you can take a bus if you want. SWEET!

Old 11-21-2011, 10:34 AM

724 posts, read 1,933,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
Thank you, Neditate, I'm sure we will have tons of fun! I actually skied Eldora once last year, and was very impressed. Coming from Midwest, where we had to drive for hours to reach a ski hill (and it really was a HILL), I felt like I was in paradise. All this 35 min drive from the house! And you can take a bus if you want. SWEET!

Oh, how you tease!

(We'll be there for the week after Xmas, checking more neighborhoods and skiing. Can't wait!) Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area