U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-03-2012, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,932 times
Default Single mom moving to Boulder from Austin - good school district/neighborhood?

Hi,

I'm a single mom relocating from Austin to Boulder this summer. I'm looking for a great and affordable neighborhood within a really good elementary school district. My budget is really tight right now - I'll still be in school for Nursing when I move. I'll consider Boulder proper as well as close surrounding areas.

Also, is Boulder a good place for single moms, in terms of community and resources?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 08:10 PM

46 posts, read 43,095 times
Default Check out South Boulder

Hi!
I'm functioning as a single mom and have found South Boulder to work really well for my family.
You may want to include the grades of your kids but you will find quite a few REALLY great schools in that area. Bear Creek Elementary is rated Colorado's top elementary school, There is Community Montessori that goes to 5th grade. Fairview HS enjoys an excellent reputation.. There are others but you can find those on the BVSD website.
Table Mesa Dr. has a decent size grocery store and other stores.
You may want to list what you are specifically looking to find but I've had a good experience so far.
Best of luck to you,
Bisou

Old 03-04-2012, 08:47 PM

437 posts, read 448,123 times
What is your budget? Although South Boulder has some great elementary schools, I wouldn't consider it the cheapest place to live in BVSD.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:53 AM

We don't have a big budget and we manage just fine. We DO rent and have forgone a car.
Bisou

Old 03-06-2012, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,932 times
Thanks for your input, Bisou. I have one son who is four, and will be entering Kindergarten in the Fall. My budget is sparse; I'll be living on student loans and likely a part-time Nanny job..

BVSD seems really great, so I want to stay within it's boundaries. Are their many single moms in Boulder?

Thanks!

Old 03-06-2012, 08:31 PM

Just a little something to consider on the school front... I'm assuming your son will turn 5 before the start of school to go into kindergarten? If that is the case, it will be important for you to live in the district of the school you want your child to attend. You will be missing open enrollment, which mean you can apply by lottery to attend the school of your choice in the BVSD school system. If you plan on missing open enrollment, you will need to live where you want your child to go to school (with some exceptions).
We made sure our rental was in the "right" area for both of our kids prior to signing anything.
Some schools, like Communty Montessori, are lottery schools. If this type of school would be of interest to you, speak to someone over there and see if there is a waiting list (or not) for your child's age group.
I honestly haven't run into a lot of single moms (YET). That doesn't mean they aren't out there.
Best to you,
Bisou

Old 04-13-2012, 09:51 AM

74 posts, read 102,863 times
Good luck to you...!

Nothing to add, just wanted to say I find it it courageous of you to raise a young child, finish school AND move to a new city all at the same time. I am sure you'll do just fine.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:39 PM

308 posts, read 311,949 times
Default Get Creative With The Housing!

I was a part-time single mom in Boulder, and housing costs were always the challenge. You might keep your eyes open for self-contained/in-law apartments in larger homes. Some are "official" and have full-size kitchens; many have their own entrances and you get the use of a nice backyard that is usually kept up by the owner. Sometimes the house-sharers become good friends and support each other in various ways, and sometimes everyone just keeps to themselves. Maybe you could find some creative housing like that -- or connect up with another single mom and get a house together and share child care and driving and...? This would be true for Boulder itself as well as surrounding communities. I won't say these opportunities are hanging like ripened fruit on trees, but you sound like a very resourceful Mom!

Old 04-23-2012, 12:23 PM

8 posts, read 7,381 times
A few things to add. The city of Boulder has an affordable housing program that allows lower income individuals and families to rent or buy at a much cheaper rate. Here's their website for buying and if you contacted them they could tell you about rentals: Division of Housing - Homeworks Homes for Sale

Also, Parenting Place is a great resource for free clothing and food, and they also have a single moms support group that I've heard really great things about: Proudly Serving Boulder and Broomfield Counties Since 1984

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area