Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 10:06 PM

88 posts, read 193,678 times

Advertisements

What can you guys say about longmont, co? I'm moving from texas to colorado with my boyfriend soon and I'm keeping my city options open. We are both young and in the restaurant industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 10:29 PM

17,875 posts, read 27,267,489 times
I just got back from a certification training there and forgot what a cool town that is. It's nestled right near Boulder in the heart of the Front Range and has the awesome view of the mountains and is adjacent to Longs Peak.

It looks like it's grown a bit since I used to work there about 10 years ago.

You hear so much about Boulder and Fort Collins in these forums, I've always considered Longmont to be the affordable Front Range town set along hwy 119... just outside of Boulder County I believe.

I'm sure others from the area have more to say about Longmont. Welcome to City-Data. Hope you find what you need. You'll be asked to add more specifics than being young and looking into the restaurant industry. Will you rent/buy? Other interests? Are finances a concern? How did you come to be interested in Longmont? That kind of thing.

Last edited by McGowdog; 03-18-2012 at 10:41 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 10:53 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,550,591 times
From an outsider's perspective (having passed through it dozens of time, and just stopped a few of them), I've always gotten the vibe that it is really family-oriented, and might not be the place younger adults? I might be off base with that, but just my observation. Although I know a lot of people move there when they're priced out of Boulder.

Do people consider Longmont it's own "area" or is it more of a Boulder suburb?

I do know they have great rec centers.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:24 PM

352 posts, read 794,200 times
I agree with davemess10 that Longmont has more of a family feel. It's not as hip or progressive or wildly affluent or as "all that" as Boulder-- which is exactly why some people prefer Longmont. LOL.

L'mont is also a bit more diverse. I used to live in between the two, and sometimes when I was full up with the Boulder vibe, I found Longmont to be more relaxed and easygoing. To my way of thinking, there were more "regular" people there, living more "regular" lives.

Longmont has all the things people want nowadays - hiking trails and bike paths and rec centers and healthy food and coffee shops and yoga and massage and shopping and microbreweries and restaurants -- just not as much or quite as pricey as Boulder. Since it's more affordable, a lot of people travel into Boulder to work and "The Longmont Diagonal" can run pretty slow -- but if you're in the restaurant biz, you probably won't be working that usual 8-5 kind of schedule.

Also, depending on where you would live in Longmont, you could have easy access to Interstate-25, which opens up more possibilities to find work to the north in Loveland, Fort Collins, and some other places. Some people who live in Longmont are annoyed by the trains that come through and snarl traffic at certain times; others are less than thrilled with the aroma from the turkey processing plant. There is some gang activity, I believe, but nothing on a par with large cities (and someone will correct me if I've got that wrong.)

It always comes back to what kind of lifestyle you want. What do you do in your free time? What type of restaurants/hospitality venues would you like to work at? What kind of people do you want to meet and hang out with? What is your financial situation? Will you be renting? Do you have any job contacts or will you have any work possibilities lined up?

The more you can tell us, the more we can help you.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:17 AM

Well, I'm a server right now in a pretty progressive city (houston). But, being such ahuge city, I'm used to long commutes. I know boulder isn't too far away, I'm assuming I could find work there and live in longmont. Thats pretty common, right?

We aren't buyers, we're defintely looking to rent. But since we also have two large (but awesome and lazy) bloodhounds, a yard is a must so a single family home is what we're looking for. Longmont is defintely looking more promising than any of the other cities I've looked in (boulder, denver, golden, lafayette, broomfield, arvada). I've lived in a city my whole life and defintely enjoy certain aspects of it (eating at restaurants and going to cafes mostly), but I'm also looking for something with a slower pace. Also, I know this sounds bad, but having lived in a large city my while life, it kind of feels like the ghetto had always been a street or two away. I understand that no where is going to be perfect in my price range, but it doesn't hurt to not have to feel nervous leaving my house at night constantly.

I think we just need to get as far away from the heat as we can and get a little natural beauty in our lives.

Sorry for the sp errors, auto correct sucks.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:30 AM

18,136 posts, read 25,669,029 times
Nerda, I moved your thread to the Boulder subforum, you should get more responses there.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:19 AM

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2012, 01:26 AM

I should also add that we aren't looking for anything flashy to live in, our price range is up to 1200. We are down for meeting all kinds of people. Thats the best thing about the food industry, you get to meet people from all walks of life. We can pretty hang out with anyone and get along with them because of that.

Right now we live in an area of houston called the heights. Its the oldest planned neighborhood in the city and is filed with lots of artists and older hippies. Defintely some young families here, too. I love this neighborhood if that is a good enough idea of the kind of stuff we enjoy. Sound like longmont might be a good match?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:20 AM

352 posts, read 794,200 times
Nerda, sounds like you've done your homework and Longmont just might fit the bill. From what I understand about Houston driving, the cruise from Longmont to Boulder would be sweet and easy in comparison! You might enjoy some of the older sections of Longmont, too. I'm sure some Longmont residents will come on soon and give you lots more details. Good Luck on your move to Colorado!

Old 03-19-2012, 09:20 AM

377 posts, read 1,050,357 times
Check out Old Town Longmont. It sounds like the closest to what you are looking for within Longmont, and you may be able to find a small rental home with a yard within your budget.

I love Old Town Longmont and I've posted about it quite a few times. (Feel free to look over my previous posts because I feel a bit like a broken record!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area