Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:15 AM

4 posts, read 20,153 times

Advertisements

About to take a job in downtown Boulder and looking at Arvada/Golden and Broomfield/Erie as areas to live. The family is big into skiing so the Arvada/Golden area is very appealing. However, have learned recently about the Rocky Flats plutonium situation and also struggling with the crime density that comes with parts of the Arvada area. Family is very into soccer and lacrosse as well and we desire the best schools possible within our budget. Also, our preference is newer development in a planned community (not a traditional grid layout) with enough land to have a small soccer game in our yard. Would love comments/opinions from those who have an opinion about these two general areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 01:57 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,343,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleighb View Post
About to take a job in downtown Boulder and looking at Arvada/Golden and Broomfield/Erie as areas to live. The family is big into skiing so the Arvada/Golden area is very appealing. However, have learned recently about the Rocky Flats plutonium situation and also struggling with the crime density that comes with parts of the Arvada area. Family is very into soccer and lacrosse as well and we desire the best schools possible within our budget. Also, our preference is newer development in a planned community (not a traditional grid layout) with enough land to have a small soccer game in our yard. Would love comments/opinions from those who have an opinion about these two general areas.
"Crime density in Arvada? I have no idea what you are talking about and I have lived in Arvada for 33 years. Arvada is not consider crime ridden or dangerous by anyone that I have heard who lives in the Denver area. Even if there are some small blocks of some statistical crime area that you are referencing--you will find those same issues in Boulder and Broomfield. I suspect most would be property crime.

Also, since your big into skiing and want to buy a new home in a planned community, on a big property for a soccer game then you must be of a higher income bracket; you would not live on those blocks of minor crime and would not be living in any dense areas.

Rocky Flats has been closed many years ago and the property has undergone remediation there may be some residual problems on the site, but that is contained. Rocky Flats is much closer to the denser areas of Boulder County and Broomfield, which is downwind to the East, than the denser residential areas of Arvada, to the South.

If you are so concerned then all all the metro area would not be a good place to live as you must also consider the Rocky Mountain Arsenal, which made Poison Gas. Let us not forget the natural background radiation and radon gas which is very common in this area. Also, you may have to go farther out into the Plains to get that big property and perhaps have the hazards of the gas fracking industry.

Of course, if you live farther out on a big property, in a planned community and not in a dense city area; you will not be near public transit. You will need to drive more often and the risks of dying or being disabled in an auto accident is much greater than any other of your perceived hazards of living.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 05-29-2012 at 02:07 PM..

Old 05-29-2012, 04:19 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,032,720 times
What is your budget? It is impossible to recommend "best schools within your budget" not knowing the budget. Also, "small soccer game" to me means at least 1/3 acre yard with no trees. Maybe 1/4. It is pretty easy to search for properties with specific lot sizes. Try zillow, for example.
I agree with livecontent about "natural hazards". They are everywhere, and this area is not an exception. There was a thread here where poster was concerned with a high number of houses with radon mitigation system. Guess what, it is a naturally occurring gas, this area has soils that produce quite a bit of radon, but with the mitigation system you are safer than in the house in the "low radon area" without the system.
As far as skiing is concerned, since this is Boulder area forum, I will try to recommend Eldora Ski Area, especially, if you end up in Broomfield/Erie. We've enjoyed Eldora this past winter with a family pass and without any traffic.

Look at this index thread for Erie/Broomfield info http://www.city-data.com/forum/bould...firestone.html, and you may need to ask in Denver forum about Arvada/Golden

Old 05-29-2012, 05:48 PM

698 posts, read 2,038,893 times
Arvada is a lovely area and if I didn't love where I live already, I would move there. I've been all over it and never for a second felt unsafe--even walking alone at night as a woman. Not sure where you got the idea it had more crime than other metro areas, it doesn't. Everywhere in and around Denver is safe. Even our dodgy parts do not even hold a candle to the dodgy parts of other big cities.

I like Erie a lot too, but it's much more isolated--it's a little town really and it's a drive to get places like the grocery store (10-20 min one way depending on part of Erie) but there are new developments like you are looking for and great views of the mountains.

Really the drive from Arvada/Golden can be hairy going to Boulder, especially in the winter and it's not much farther to the ski areas from Broomfield. I live in Westminster on the Broomfield border and I get to Breckenridge in 1 hr 20 minutes (in good traffic). I think you should look in Broomfield or even Westminster. Plenty of new developments and lots of sports--LOTS. And excellent schools. Broomfiled to Boulder commute is about 20-30 min.

What is your price range and desired qualities in a house/neighborhood other than the yard?

Old 07-29-2012, 07:54 PM

43 posts, read 116,691 times
About the soccer field in your backyard. I live in Broomfield and I remember when we bought our home we wanted a big back yard to play soccer and run around in -we got it and rarley use it. There are always parks in a short walking distance in Broomfield, we found ourselves always walking over to one of the three nearby parks to play soccer or whatever, that way you also meet other people too.

Plus your in Colorado the backyard is more for your dogs or grillin out, people tend to hang out in the front driveways and play with their children there too. Thats been my observation.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:19 AM

3,373 posts, read 9,151,958 times
If you like to ski then Golden for sure since you wont have to use 25 to get to 70.

And if you like hills in your back yard golden. Erie and broomfield are pretty far from the mountains.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:00 PM

73 posts, read 190,077 times
Look at Broadlands and Aspen Creek in Broomfield. Not a terrible commute to skiing and Boulder and nicer homes with larger yards. Lots of kids, good schools, shopping, rec center and amenities.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:49 AM

59 posts, read 118,709 times
I lived in Arvada for 4 yrs & really liked it. Big new developments around Mckintyre & 64th I believe. All kinds of shopping and schools in that area?

Old 08-10-2012, 09:32 PM

4 posts, read 20,153 times
Thought I would update this thread. As of now, we are strongly considering a new development in Arvada (north side of town near 93). I appreciate everyone's concerns about 93 in the winter but I feel like I am pretty accustomed to the occasional bad drive in winter having commuted in New England for so many years (we may not have the wind but our wet/icy snow sure isn't pleasant to drive in). Plus I can always work from home those 5-10 days a year where its that bad. Schools seem to be checking out well in this area plus the whole school choice thing in CO puts a little less pressure on having the best school district for your family (which might change over time) be the one you live in.

We seem to be closing in on new construction too and wrestling with the concept of a pool. In the Northeast pools are super common, in even cold NH. We don't have soil issues and winterizing a pool really isn't a big deal. Everything I read suggests that its not that hard to engineer the soil and installation of a pool to counteract the negative effect had on the soil.

Thanks to everyone for your (mostly) helpful information and gotta say the biggest issue we had to overcome ended up being the whole "Rocky Flats" thing.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:41 PM

3,373 posts, read 9,151,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleighb View Post
Thought I would update this thread. As of now, we are strongly considering a new development in Arvada (north side of town near 93). I appreciate everyone's concerns about 93 in the winter but I feel like I am pretty accustomed to the occasional bad drive in winter having commuted in New England for so many years (we may not have the wind but our wet/icy snow sure isn't pleasant to drive in). Plus I can always work from home those 5-10 days a year where its that bad. Schools seem to be checking out well in this area plus the whole school choice thing in CO puts a little less pressure on having the best school district for your family (which might change over time) be the one you live in.

We seem to be closing in on new construction too and wrestling with the concept of a pool. In the Northeast pools are super common, in even cold NH. We don't have soil issues and winterizing a pool really isn't a big deal. Everything I read suggests that its not that hard to engineer the soil and installation of a pool to counteract the negative effect had on the soil.

Thanks to everyone for your (mostly) helpful information and gotta say the biggest issue we had to overcome ended up being the whole "Rocky Flats" thing.
Radon is a problem in Colorado though...make sure if you have a basement it is tested or they just go ahead and install a radon mitigation system. It runs about 1k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area