Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 05:26 PM
hts hts started this thread

762 posts, read 2,163,368 times

Advertisements

I believe Fairview is the only Boulder public school that has an IB program (pls correct me if I'm wrong).

Any suggestions/advice on a nice subdivision/neighborhood that's within the Fairview HS boundaries for around $500k +/-?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 06:58 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,135,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
I believe Fairview is the only Boulder public school that has an IB program (pls correct me if I'm wrong).

Any suggestions/advice on a nice subdivision/neighborhood that's within the Fairview HS boundaries for around $500k +/-?

Thanks!
If you mean within the city of Boulder, you're right. If you mean within the Boulder Valley School District, Centaurus in Lafayette, also Boulder Valley School District, also has IB.

I'm biased, but I'll say that all of the Boulder Valley School District schools are good; they each have have something to offer that may or may not be important to you, but none of them are lacking. I've said it before here on CD, no doubt I'll say it again, BVSD provides the opportunity for a great education for all.

You can research, you can pick and choose, you can enter lotteries to land the ultimate, best it could ever be school choice *for your child*, but in the final analysis, you can't go wrong.

The choices are there, the schools are good, the district is responsive.

I know as many families where the zoning is for Fairview who open enrolled to New Vista, Centaurus, and Boulder High as I do families who live in Monarch boundaries who open enrolled to Centaurus, Boulder High, New Vista, or Fairview, or those who live in Boulder High area open enrolling to Fairview, Monarch, etc.

Then there's Peak to Peak, a charter school within BVSD, located in Lafayette, that's only entered by lottery - no IB, but the school of choice for many within BVSD.

FYI, New Vista and Peak to Peak are both filled entirely by lottery entrance. Neither offers IB, but they each appeal to a specific style of student.

To respond to
Quote:
anything within Fairview HS boundaries meets your criteria.

There's another possible choice in a place to live close to Boulder that has an IB high school - Niwot - in the St Vrain School District. Niwot High School offers IB; the price range in Niwot housing is interesting. There's a comparitively less expensive condominium complex, a not so expensive, tacky-ish subdivision, and then there's the rest of it, with million dollar, (plus or minus) houses on offer.

Last edited by suzco; 11-05-2012 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: Edited to add the Niwot info

Old 11-05-2012, 07:12 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
suzco has offered you terrific info.

I'll add that between 475K-525K there are currently 6 homes on the market; in other words, it's generally tight so you're not going to have a ton of homes to choose from assuming you're looking at Fairview only, in that range.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:19 PM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times
This link will show homes for sale in the Fairview attendance area
COhomefinder | fairview High School Active Houses for Sale

A quick look at the BVSD website at High Schools it appears that in addition to Fairview, in the BVSD area, Centaurus in Lafayette has an IB program

Old 11-05-2012, 09:55 PM

205 posts, read 503,674 times
I think that Gunbarrel students can attend either Boulder or Fairview high. It was that way about 10 years ago and when I searched for my dad's Gunbarrel address on the bvsd web site, it showed both. That may give you a few more options.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:17 AM

Thanks for all the great info--I really appreciate it! Our three children currently attend charter (3 different ones!) schools here in Phoenix, and while they're getting an awesome eduction, they're not getting the socialization that we would like that comes from living near the kids they attend school with. As a result, we're not going to do charter/OE schools if/when we relo to CO. I'll look into Centaurus this morning for sure. I'm really quite depressed by what $500k buys back there--30 year old split-levels with a 2 car garage on 1/4 acre with original kitchens/baths--really?

Old 11-06-2012, 09:08 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the great info--I really appreciate it! Our three children currently attend charter (3 different ones!) schools here in Phoenix, and while they're getting an awesome eduction, they're not getting the socialization that we would like that comes from living near the kids they attend school with. As a result, we're not going to do charter/OE schools if/when we relo to CO. I'll look into Centaurus this morning for sure. I'm really quite depressed by what $500k buys back there--30 year old split-levels with a 2 car garage on 1/4 acre with original kitchens/baths--really?
Oh yes, sad but true. Among many other factors, consistently being rated one of the best places in the country to live for the last 15 years helps make it highly desirable. Highly desirable = expensive.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:21 PM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times
In general, the city of Boulder has been more expensive than average for quite some time. 35 years ago I moved from suburban Chicago for a job in Boulder. House-hunting in Boulder quickly showed that we could not even get equal what we had in suburban Chicago. Less house for more money. We eventually selected Broomfield as a good all-around town/location with more house for less money than Chicago, and the same BVSD school district.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:57 PM

I spoke to several reps (administrators, counselors, etc) at the Boulder Valley high schools that we're interested in and think I'm sold on Fairview HS specifically at this point. Now we've just got to see if we're going to be able to find acceptable housing or if we'll need to look outside Boulder as well--thanks!

Old 11-07-2012, 11:22 AM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,404 times
Quote:
I spoke to several reps (administrators, counselors, etc) at the Boulder Valley high schools that we're interested in and think I'm sold on Fairview HS specifically at this point. Now we've just got to see if we're going to be able to find acceptable housing or if we'll need to look outside Boulder as well--thanks!
Look at Gunbarrel - it will get you into Fariview HS, as we are dual enrollment area - you can choose between Fairview and Boulder High. Also, buses go to both. We live in Heatherwood, and my older son is a freshman at Fairview HS. We arrived at this decision thoroughly comparing Boulder High and Fairview, but it was very close - Boulder High is a good school also.
As far as housing prices - Heatherwood is under 400K for 3-4 bedroom, Country Club (western part of Gunbarrel) - will be closer to 500K, but you can get a very decent house for 500K, if that's your targeted price tag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area