Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 11:28 AM

23 posts, read 47,601 times

Advertisements

I am starting a new thread on this topic. My husband and I have been house hunting for a few months now. We have been living in Boulder almost 4 years and have until late July until our lease is up, but the market is looking really dismal (we've lost two places to higher bidders, and nice places seem to sell the same day they are listed). We ideally want a 3 BR/2 BA house of 1300+ sq ft, with a nice outdoor space/private lot and under 275K.

We've looked in a few neighborhoods in Longmont and Lafayette. Longmont seems to have more options in our price range, and it seems like you get far more for your money. Ideally, we would like to be in a neighborhood with mature trees, decent schools and low crime, and also some character (not cookie-cutter subdivision if possible, though that may be a pipe dream!). We have looked in Mountain View, Macy subdivision, Longmont Estates and most recently Southmoor. The houses near 66 were nice but had too much road noise. I liked the views from Longmont Estates and the quietness and park access in Southmoor, but I have heard negative things about Southmoor. The house we looked at (and lost!) in Southmoor was near a creek trail (on Missouri Ave?) and several parks, and homes seemed well maintained. I like the idea of being on the outskirts of town for easy access to Lafayette (current jobs are there) and Boulder. It would be a plus to not have to drive through town to get to a house. The area near Dollhouse Village/Rider Ridge/Fox Hill also looks interesting, and other neighborhoods near the Union Reservoir or Fall River Elementary? Anyone have info or opinions on neighborhoods in Longmont? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 11:44 AM

5,039 posts, read 6,321,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satori View Post
I am starting a new thread on this topic. My husband and I have been house hunting for a few months now. We have been living in Boulder almost 4 years and have until late July until our lease is up, but the market is looking really dismal (we've lost two places to higher bidders, and nice places seem to sell the same day they are listed). We ideally want a 3 BR/2 BA house of 1300+ sq ft, with a nice outdoor space/private lot and under 275K.

We've looked in a few neighborhoods in Longmont and Lafayette. Longmont seems to have more options in our price range, and it seems like you get far more for your money. Ideally, we would like to be in a neighborhood with mature trees, decent schools and low crime, and also some character (not cookie-cutter subdivision if possible, though that may be a pipe dream!). We have looked in Mountain View, Macy subdivision, Longmont Estates and most recently Southmoor. The houses near 66 were nice but had too much road noise. I liked the views from Longmont Estates and the quietness and park access in Southmoor, but I have heard negative things about Southmoor. The house we looked at (and lost!) in Southmoor was near a creek trail (on Missouri Ave?) and several parks, and homes seemed well maintained. I like the idea of being on the outskirts of town for easy access to Lafayette (current jobs are there) and Boulder. It would be a plus to not have to drive through town to get to a house. The area near Dollhouse Village/Rider Ridge/Fox Hill also looks interesting, and other neighborhoods near the Union Reservoir or Fall River Elementary? Anyone have info or opinions on neighborhoods in Longmont? Thanks!
There are some excellent houses in Longmont.

However, the fact you lost places to higher bidders should tell you something. I think you're trying to get something which really doesn't exist: your requirements sound like something you see on C-D fairly often in many forums, along the lines of: 'charming single family homes with large square footage, wooded lots, recently built in a well-established neighborhood near good jobs, incredible schools, and low crime, at a reasonable price.'

Those houses don't exist unless you remove the low price part or accept 'cookie-cutter' (which is very rarely defined, often seemingly meaning 'not exactly what I was looking for').

Be prepared to pay for what you're looking for, because the owners know what they have.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the response. I've come to realize this and am totally wiling to sacrifice some of what we desire, which is why I said "Ideally..." As for "cookie-cutter," as you said it is not easily describable, but to me a neighborhood that is very newly-built, with very little vegetation, houses close together and all the houses close to identical in appearance. If this is all that is available, then we would accept it, as these houses are often very new and modern and we could do a lot worse. I am curious to know people's opinions on various neighborhoods in Longmont, that perhaps do meet some of these "ideals." Given our experience so far, we are prepared to be far more generous with our next offer if we do find something in this category :-)

Old 03-17-2013, 02:32 PM

377 posts, read 1,051,707 times
I personally prefer old town, but to get what you want, you are looking at $300k+. But you can't beat the neighborhoods here.

I have friends who live in Southmoor and like it: they can walk to Prospect and the OB Brewery/Tasty Weasel, and it is easy to jump on the Lobo bike trail. I don't love the houses which are just as cookie cutter as any new development, but the trees are mature so that is nice.

I used to have friends at Longmont Estates, and they had the most stunning view. It wasn't a great spot to be able to walk anywhere other than just around the neighborhood - no coffee shops or things like that.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:23 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,934,050 times
Southmoor can be very iffy depending on where the house is. We have friends who have been there forever and their spot is great due to where it is. One of my husbands co workers also was there and they couldn't get out fast enough as the area they were was going downhill fast.

I can't speak to the other neighrhoods.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the opinions- I have seen some awesome houses in old town, but they are indeed very old and I don't know enough about home maintenance to take care of them (anything pre-1950 probably). Longmont Estates did seem kind of on the outskirts- far from even a grocery store. That is not a huge concern as we would have to commute to work anyway, but being able to walk or bike places is a huge plus for us. As of now, we like the idea of being on the SW or SE side for easy access. Haven't seen anything on the SW side however.

Southmoor did seem hit or miss- one house we saw had 5 cars parked at the house next to it with lots of people coming and going, and various kids toys strewn about the cul-de-sac - it seemed very "busy." The other house seemed to be in a quiet neighborhood near the creek trail, with well-maintained houses and no broken cars parked on the street. My biggest worry is that we can only gauge the neighborhood by driving through for awhile when we see houses- how do we really know what it's like?!

Old 03-18-2013, 10:25 AM

936 posts, read 2,062,116 times
I like living on the SW side of Longmont near Nelson/airport. There should be limited stuff in your range but may be a little "cookie-cutter" for your taste. Easy access to Boulder and close to the shopping and some restaurant options on Hover.

Unfortunately your Range <$275K was very do-able around six months ago but the market has tightened up and it will be tough.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:28 AM

The housing market is tight for sure. I know someone who really loves our neighborhood on the s.w. side but I don't think there are any houses for sale right now other than a couple of short sales. The ones for sale went very fast. It is a great area though which is why - lots of trails, right by a huge park, near the grocery store. And very low HOA dues and a very laid back HOA.

There really is no way to really know what a neighborhood is like by just driving through once. I would suggest driving through at different times of the day, on the weekend - maybe if you see someone out side stop and ask some questions.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:40 AM

936 posts, read 2,062,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
The housing market is tight for sure. I know someone who really loves our neighborhood on the s.w. side but I don't think there are any houses for sale right now other than a couple of short sales. The ones for sale went very fast. It is a great area though which is why - lots of trails, right by a huge park, near the grocery store. And very low HOA dues and a very laid back HOA.

There really is no way to really know what a neighborhood is like by just driving through once. I would suggest driving through at different times of the day, on the weekend - maybe if you see someone out side stop and ask some questions.
Jkoop, which huge park are you referring to?

Old 03-18-2013, 10:45 AM

Willow Farm. By trails I mean the bike/walking paths going from the park all the way west (well, now even towards Hover). Will be great when the get the underpass done under Hover but I suppose that could take a couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area