Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 11:19 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,068,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioqueen View Post
I have never been to Colorado, but have been warned by other minorities who are natives of Denver and other parts of the state as well as some whites that it is very racist and to avoid it at all cost. Their words have always remained the same, "If you are a minority stay far away from Colorado there is no place for you there." But I am sure they were only speaking based on their personal experience and is probably not reflective of the views of the entire state.
This is the exact opposite of everything I have seen and heard as a person who actually lives in Colorado.

I fear sarcasm may not have been noted well, or the people who were speaking to you had very little knowledge about Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 04:52 PM

936 posts, read 2,059,165 times
relatively not-racist compared to most places in the US.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:52 AM

73 posts, read 190,117 times
The homeless harass everyone in Boulder. My wife refuses to go by the library as they hang out and abuse all who walk by...thanks Boulder for making it so inviting for these idiots to hang out here.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:23 PM

17,670 posts, read 29,556,070 times
Default I always judge my cities

by what mentally-ill homeless people yell at me.
Is there a better metric?
Don't think so.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:28 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,425,004 times
I work in Boulder and visit Pearl Street, the library, Boulder Creek, etc most days. In the 8 years I've been here I've never been harassed by anyone, least of all the homeless. Usually I'll get a yelled comment like, "Hey, what about this weather?" and I just smile and nod and keep walking. I find the trick is don't make eye contact and look like you're busy. Even as a SWF I get more grief from the people insisting on bringing their toddlers to the Farmers' Market.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:51 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,546,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Personally I don't think they really are homeless. I think they are probably trouble makers, goof offs, malcontents etc. I don't think they are living on the streets unless it is by choice. To me homeless are those who used to have a home and maybe lost it because they couldn't pay. These are not those folks. My guess is they go home at night to live with their mom and dad (probably in the basement or their childhood room while their parent plot ways to dislodge them).
Sounds like the 16th Street mall in downtown Denver. I wouldn't call them homeless. I call them lazy and sometimes entitled.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:53 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,546,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioqueen View Post
I have never been to Colorado, but have been warned by other minorities who are natives of Denver and other parts of the state as well as some whites that it is very racist and to avoid it at all cost. Their words have always remained the same, "If you are a minority stay far away from Colorado there is no place for you there." But I am sure they were only speaking based on their personal experience and is probably not reflective of the views of the entire state.
That is the first time I have ever heard anything like this. As far as I know racism is scarce or doesn't even exist here. Very laid back here. Live and let live.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:25 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
There is less racism in Colorado, in general, than in other parts of the country where I have lived, e.g. Pittsburgh and Champaign, IL in particular. You'll never get away from it completely, though.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:30 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,552,878 times
Ain't that a bish. The homeless got the nerve to be racist.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:07 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,427,432 times
It's been a while since I lived there but Boulder wasn't so much racist--although there was a yahoo element--as racially not very diverse at all. It was less than 1% non-white. There was a (generally) non-hostile bigotry that comes from having less daily experience with ethnicity and race. I actually found the students more sharp in their attitudes, with what they probably considered benign assumptions, more so than the "townies." Could be I encountered a lot of freshmen too, first time away from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area