U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 09:40 AM

55 posts, read 202,677 times
Default How safe is Boulder?

Hi,
My husband and I are looking into relocating and are coming to visit in November. We are planning to look at Boulder, Fort Collins and surrounding areas of Boulder. My big concern has been crime in the Boulder area...when I look at stats it's actually less than Fort Collins and other comparable areas, but a friend who lived there in the late '90s said she never felt safe there - that rape and robbery were regular things. I have a small child so of course this is concerning, as I'm looking for a place where I will feel safe walking around with him during the day, alone. I just wanted to get a little feedback on this.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2006, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 7,977 times
you will love boulder/ft. collins area. safety is great in the boulder community. there are alot of walking trails, bike paths etc. everyday you see many women with their strollers running, walking and just enjoying the 300+ days of sunshine a year we have in the area. If you want a smaller town community, be sure to look at louisville. In 2005 it was voted one of the top 5 best cities in the USA to live. They looked a size, safety, schools, affordability, quality fo lifestyle, weather conditions and a few more great things about the area were included. hope some of this info is helpful. Brad

Old 10-15-2006, 07:12 PM

55 posts, read 202,677 times
Default thanks

Thanks Brad, very helpful. Boulder, Louisville (I didn't know that), Ft. Collins...all are on our list to visit. I guess as far as safety I'll just have to visit and see how it feels to me...I appreciate your feedback!

Old 10-18-2006, 12:42 AM

220 posts, read 537,289 times
That's the best thing you can do. Visit, walk around and get a feel for the place. The only area of Boulder I felt at all concerned was the Pearl Street Mall. It had the exact same feel as NYC - which is a place where one should keep their eyes open- yet nothing out of the ordinary occurred and there were thousands of people enjoying themselves without issue. Lots of college kids given the proximity to the university, but that's part of the experience. Boulder is beautiful however and should not be missed or skipped. My cousin lives in South Boulder and we walk all over the place when there. It's definitely a great place to live.

Louisville had a nice feel to it, Broomfield even more so. Lots and lots of families out and about, with more of a suburban design. AGain, get out and talk to people. We found that nice people were everywhere.

We didn't visit Ft. Collins, but will on our next round there! Good luck to you.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:24 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,704,073 times
Pearl Street Mall was like NYC?? That's a joke. Pearl Street is perfectly safe. Yes there are a few homeless hanging out, but those aren't the ones who commit crimes. I have never felt unsafe on the mall. Don't let people scare you.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:02 AM

615 posts, read 2,126,233 times
Boulder and Ft Collins are college towns and do seem to attract some crime because of it. Boulder (I don't know about Ft Collins) is a very liberal town, which can be an issue if you are more conservative. Boulder real estate is also very inflated. More affordable housing can be had in the bordering cities. It was great to go to college there, but personally, I would not want to raise children there.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:22 AM

171 posts, read 712,902 times
I agree that a comparison of the Pearl Street Mall to NYC is way out there!!!! I have young children and I have never felt unsafe there with my children or late at night after a concert. I also haven't ever felt unsafe in NYC, but I don't even see how you can compare the two cities. Don't be scared off!!!!!!

Old 10-18-2006, 04:41 PM

17,193 posts, read 23,775,334 times
Default My impression on the town

Been there twice. Once to visit the Chautauqua, a legendary venue for great shows, once to visit an artist friend.

Town struck me as very safe indeed.

A week after we visited the artist friend, her husband got a $100 ticket for running a stop sign - on his BICYCLE! That anecdotal evidence tells me crime is so low the constables are looking for even tiny infractions to ticket.....

s/Mike

Old 10-20-2006, 04:34 PM

47 posts, read 236,645 times
Boulder is a very nice place to live. I think the connection you might find between NYC & Pearl St. is that the "homeless" hang-out near the Court House (how dangerous is that) versus all over town - so you see them there, and the shops are very cosmo...anyways, I quote homeless because the homeless shelter is nicer than the Holiday Inn. Boulder has a reputation of being liberal, but that's not the wealthy subsect - it's just the vocal self-righteous...they want open-mindedness yet if you're conservative - forget it.

Anyways, the best advice is to check it out for yourself. As I said in a previous thread, I'd move to Longmont or Ft. Clns.

But I'm just your average, bi-party yoga instructor!

Peace-out!

Old 10-21-2006, 01:29 AM

220 posts, read 537,289 times
Having lived in NY for 37 years and worked in NYC for years, I am stating that from my perspective the Pearl Street Mall reminded me of NYC. From the street-side restaurants, rooftop bars, street performers, homeless people and diversity- it was simply a miniature version. Both are beautiful and distinct. This was not an attack and is nothing more than one person's opinion. That said, it is an informed opinion. I had a great time there and will be returning regularly upon moving to Colorado... for the exact same reasons we frequent NYC.

Let's face it, crime exists in every city world-wide. The statistics speak for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area