Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 02:15 PM

205 posts, read 503,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrown729 View Post
Re: LisaBoulder (or anyone), yes I am admittedly a girly girl who wears red lipstick sometimes and while I am not high maintenance, I do appreciate a little glam fashion here and there (even if that doesn't make me sound very down to earth, I like to think that I am). Yet, I have lived in NYC for a long time and am looking for a nice change. I feel like you only live once and I really would love to experience something completely different than NYC. I know I may not be in Boulder forever, but I'm just wondering if there are people out there (not trying to stereotype!) who do have interests other than triathlons and the such. I'm definitely ok with extending out to Denver and other communities to meet other people who I may share more common ground with, but I have to admit, it was nice in Boulder that you can get from one place to the next in only 5 minutes. In NYC, it takes you a half day to do 3 errands!
There's nothing wrong with a little glam. I don't think that you're stereotyping at all; Boulder attracts people who enjoy outdoor activities. My friends and I are older than you, but in general, we like outdoor activities like biking, hiking or skiing, but we also enjoy eating out and going to museums and other cultural attractions too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 10:55 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,351,951 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the comments!! Does anyone know anything about Fort Collins? Is that an area that is worth looking into?

Artisan, I guess the grass is always greener! I've been in Manhattan since 2006 and all the little things that I loved I find frustrating. The crowded subway, my miniature apt, and strangely enough (which is strange since I'm not much of a worrier) I do feel like the terrorists aren't done with NYC. And don't even get me started on the dating situation. See, I can say these things to people I've never met.

It would be nice to have a car here and I can go upstate during the weekends. But it's not an option at the moment.
Yes, the apartments are tiny, I was able to walk to work in NYC so rarely took the subway and ironically was more fit there than here. I guess I'm not completely clear on what you are looking for, when I was single NYC was far better for a single man than out here so I guess
it is better here for women.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,170 times
Default Run With The Wind!!!

Dear Soul Lady... Run with the Wind!!!

At 37 I did and ran into a situation of 'Running with Wolves." I am 42 and I have been in the most controlling soul aching year (s) this year especially!!! When I get enough money to guide my beliefs to truly "Go for your dreams... Write, walk, run, sing, dance, smile... Breathe!!!! I am heading towards Estes Park- and I am only 90 miles away now!

To understand your feelings are valid... Please run out and get the book 'Women Who Run With the Wolves' it is by Clarissa Piokola Estes, PHD

Excellent book and I will bet before your threw with it- you will be packed and on your way!!!! Inspiring depth that I have read so many books especially this year and this one is my TRUTH! I hope it's yours too!!!

GodSpeed Live Life!!!
'FreeSpirit'

Stacie

Old 12-14-2013, 01:00 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
So I'm a 37 yo single woman who's burnt out from the big city. I can't decide if I am certifiably crazy or not to make the move almost mid-life and start afresh. I've fantasized about living in the mountains and I like to believe that you only live once, so why not? Then I'm concerned that I haven't really given much thought to reality. Who starts over in a new city knowing nobody at 37? I love to ski and hike, but I'm not really granola or crunchy. I don't need a crazy nightlife but I love going to dinner and the movies or to a nice wine bar or lounge. I've heard Boulder is college kids and trust fund hipsters and earthy types. I don't really fit into any of those and I'm hoping the city is what I make of it. So yes, can't decide if I'm brave or delusional. I'm posting this on a board where I know nobody just so I can hear unbiased thoughts. Thanks for taking the time to read about my midlife crisis.
It would probably be better to visit Colorado first. You will still have access to the urban life in nearby Denver (30 miles from Boulder). Boulder itself has some good restaurants and cultural activities. There are walkable areas in the central portion of the city. When Boulder was smaller, you might have been out of place as the college dominated, but not to the same degree today. The city population is now over 100,000. The college (Univ of Colorado) is not in the middle of the city, but on the city's south side. You could look at neighborhoods on the north side of the city to have less of that influence.

It will be a change, but it is not like you are moving to Wyoming, Montana or the Dakotas. That would truly be a culture shock change from NYC.

There is a good balance between urban and outdoor activities in the Boulder and Denver areas. I have some friends in Colorado. It is a place you can move to and get to know other people fairly easily as there have been many transplants the last 15 years or so.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,688 times
Abrown729, just curious, but did you move to CO? and if so, how do you like it?

I'm a 36 yo single woman who is burnt out on nyc as well, and looking to make a move to the west coast... thinking either Denver or Portland, OR...

Would love to hear more about your experience...

Old 10-03-2014, 12:43 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
I rather live in Boulder than NYC myself... thats not crazy. Boulder is one of the nicest cities in America with amazing view the Rockies. I am thinking about moving to Colorado my self if I don't stay in the south after grad school. My gf and all her family is from TN so it might be hard. Colorado is one of my states on earth and Boulder one of my fav cities. You will probably love it.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:52 PM

334 posts, read 661,899 times
Yes, you are crazy.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:02 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,013 times
Definitely come for a visit. You should check out Golden. It's got the "quaint" charm of Boulder without the self-absorbed attitude and it's just as close to the mountains as Boulder. It's only 15-20 minutes from downtown Denver and 30 minutes from Boulder plus it's closer to the real mountain towns because it's right by I-70. I'd also suggest Evergreen. It's an awesome mountain "suburb" about 15 minutes west of Golden.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:42 AM

10 posts, read 57,441 times
[quote=sunsprit;32138488][quote=DressageRider;32138310]
I love living in Longmont, but I would choose Denver over Boulder at this point.
Quote:

LOL ... Longmont is not Boulder.

Geographically, not too far down the road ...

but on virtually every other aspect, it's a world apart.

I've lived in Boulder and Longmont, more recently the Longmont area in Weld county.

The divide between living in Boulder county and Weld county is huge.

One of the primary differences about how Boulder has developed in the last few decades can be traced to the planning and restrictions for property use and development in Boulder, which lead to making it a rather exclusive enclave. I had been there in Boulder for several years when the movement to do this ... everybody wanting to be the "last son of a b*tch in the door" attitude hit the town. I watched as this started as a concept in the CU campus paper editorials and then went on to be the byline of the Daily Camera and ultimately the City Council.

When I moved there, it was an affordable college town with an expanding university presence. In a few short years, my affordable ($17.50/month!) rent for a converted basement apartment on 10th Street on the Hill went up to $75, and then doubled from that. It was less expensive for me to move to Denver and commute, where I could still get a marvelous 2 bdr basement apartment for $37.50/month, utilities included! Similarly, many other places in Boulder had to raise their rates to meet their overhead costs with rising property values and increased taxes. They did clean out the visible street population in the parks, so I guess that was something of an improvement.

My last house in Weld county was right over the county line from Boulder ( just off Hwy 52). Had it been in Boulder county, it would have appraised like the houses down the road from me (we were on 5 acre lots) at close to triple what I paid for it. But I still had reasonable access to the Boulder town when I needed it for supplies, entertainment, medical services, etc.
Quote:
($17.50/month!) rent for a converted basement apartment on 10th Street on the Hill went up to $75, and then doubled from that. It was less expensive for me to move to Denver and commute, where I could still get a marvelous 2 bdr basement apartment for $37.50/month, utilities included!
Are these numbers missing zeros? When were rents this low? I'm envious!

Old 11-05-2014, 06:54 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
I think they are from many decades ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area