U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 09:44 AM

62 posts, read 126,690 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any classes or seminars that help teach common folk how to purchase and finance a piece of land, how to plan to build your house, how to find and hire contractors, etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 12:13 PM

20,899 posts, read 39,168,910 times
Are you interested in just the area around Boulder?

If not, let me know and I"ll move this to a better forum with a wider audience.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:18 PM

14,018 posts, read 20,330,583 times
Default Some basics

1. You will need lots of cash. Loans on land are very difficult to come by.

2. See How to Build Your Own Home (US): 11 Steps (with Pictures)

3. I would call Dave Pagano at About Us, Denver Builder, GJ Gardner Homes Denver as they a small-volume builder in spite of being a franchisee of the giant GJ Gardner. Dave's company was the general for our house built in 2011.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:38 AM

13 posts, read 16,062 times
Default Re: Buying Land and Building a House

Well, I do not know whether there exist any such classes but All I know is that there exist the various websites which can teach or give you all the relative knowledge about the same in a very perceptive manner.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:38 AM

2,090 posts, read 1,831,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1248 View Post
Does anyone know of any classes or seminars that help teach common folk how to purchase and finance a piece of land, how to plan to build your house, how to find and hire contractors, etc.
I built and developed land for 20 years before moving to Boulder last year. Here is some basic answers:

1. Get a book. They are cheap and if it's a bad one you can toss it and grab another one. There might even be a couple at the library.

2. Go to one national bank and one local bank and ask them about residential construction loans. In 30 mins they will tell you everything you need to know. Generally you need to have about 20% of the total cost of the project as your down payment. Generally, land is 20% of the cost of a home.

3. The average builder profit is around 10%. All you have to do is over pay by 10% because you are a newbie, the subs don't have a relationship with you, or because you are getting taken advantage of and you are doing a lot of work and taking a lot of risk for nothing. It is very rare to meet some one who built their own home and enjoyed it.

4. GC's will keep the names of their subcontractors and prices they pay secret. It takes years to develop a stable of quality workers at a fair price. If they do give you a guy's info it's probably because they are getting a kick back. Generally, it's about 10%.

5. Start with something small like a cabin in the mountains. Make all your mistakes there.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:28 PM

14 posts, read 26,215 times
That's good advice, but Boulder is also a very small town. Well established architects and design-build firms would not survive in this business, much less thrive, if they were screwing over their clients.

Rodwin Arch and Sobo Homes are reputable. I'd trust them to guide me through the process and build my home.

p.s. I've been in the real estate business for a decade and have yet to receive a kickback for a referral. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:16 AM

2,090 posts, read 1,831,310 times
I agree, but it sounds like the OP wants to be his/her own GC and wouldn't be using a design build firm or reputable home builder.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:01 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,953,636 times
Try not to be too assuming that the market is efficient. The "proof" of an efficient market relies on the theory that all inefficiencies are "normal profits to the entrepreneur" that "fixes" the situation.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:22 PM

14,018 posts, read 20,330,583 times
Default I found one

https://www.freeuregistration.com/Co...d+Improvements

Old 05-18-2014, 11:09 AM

62 posts, read 126,690 times
Thanks Dave...

I attended the class you were kind enough to find and post. It was extremely informative. If you happen to run across any more, please post

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area