Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:18 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradburn1 View Post
The OP is now one of my neighbors in Bradburn Village, Westminster and they love it--we are friends and do stuff all the time. Thanks City Data for bringing me a fun, nice new neighbor!
This is wonderful news! It's always nice to hear that people are enjoying themselves in their new environments. I have become friends with several who have relocated to the Scranton, PA area from NY, NJ, and even Nebraska, and it was neat to watch them progress from their first inquiry on the forum right up until they are now coming back to give us an optimistic status report of how their relocation went. I wonder if real estate agents get this same satisfaction of "Hey. I helped someone!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 09:01 AM

48 posts, read 193,410 times
Default Neat!

It is really cool to see that someone actually made it. You don't know how many posts I have come across on the Internet of people talking about making this move and you never know what happened to them, thanks for posting back and letting us know!

Now I just need to get myself out there

Old 04-22-2008, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,769 times
My fiance and I are getting ready to move to Colorado hopefully to louisville, even though we are not there yet something in your post caught my eye and I feel the need to question you.

[quote=rockymtngator;2177990]

2. This might fly in the face of what I just posted, but our downtown isn't as charming as some might think it is. As an FYI, Louisville was an old coal mining town back in the 1800's. So some of the "charm" really stems from old coal miners shacks and businesses that catered to them. If you visit some really amazing towns like Monterey, CA, Camden, ME, and even Winter Park, FL Louisville can't hold a flame to them.

quote]

How long ago were you in Winter Park Fl?! Because I can assure you there is no charm here. It's full of crime and filth. I've lived here two years and there is not a night that goes by where I do not hear gun shots or hear about people being murdered here.

Now I know that isn't the whole point of this forum but I felt the need to address this.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
There are several picutures of downtown Louisville on the City-Data main page for Louisville. You will see it does not look like an old coal-mining town with a bunch of miner's shacks. For one thing, the miners here lived in little cottages, some of which still stand, just to the west of downtown. Downtown has mainly restaurants and boutiques. City Hall is there, also the library just to the east of Main St. There is a bandshell, which in the winter is the warming area for the ice rink, and in summer is the locale for the free concerts on Friday nights. There are train tracks just east of the bandshell, but I like a little grit. It feels less yuppified that way.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:08 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,955 times
I lived there for 2 years and moved. Ive regreted it for 10 years now.

Another nice area rite next door is Superior. 700,000 will get you a 5000sqft houses in a BEAUTIFUL community! Superior is smaller but more upscale! Very nice & worth checking out.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:12 PM

792 posts, read 3,137,271 times
Nice discussion on Louisville. I relocated from the northeast to Superior (first) for a year then bought in NE Louisville for 3 1/2 years. But I opted to sell and go back to the east coast at end of last year. I rented for a year at the Horizons at Rock Creek (next to the Flat Irons Mall) which was a great community and a great experience. The ammenities vs. cost at the Horizons compares to none in the northeast.

Louisville is a very nice town and my favorite part is Harper Lake and the Coal Creek bike trails. The summer concerts downtown are awesome, esp. Hazel Miller and Poco. The community rec. center is pretty awesome but they scaled back evening hours.

NE Louisville (behind Safeway) for some reason has about 1/3 of the homes in that neighborhood rented out. Neighbors seem quiet but the train horn can be annoying. During warm season at night I was waken up many times because the train blows it horn loud and long when it approaches Baseline and South Boulder Road (and the crossings through Old Town Louisville). I did not have AC and I kept my windows open at night. For several weeks one summer I think the UP ran (extra)detour trains down the BNSF (the line through Louisville) it was train after train all hours of the night with those loud horns.

The job market and economy was what lead me to leave Louisville and go back east.
The Boulder area's economy can be very unpredictable. Some professions are marketable/stable and others can be very vunerable. I could have taken a good paying job in SE Denver, by Centennial Aiport, at the junction of E-470 and I-25. But the commute is a bear by all means. $20 of tolls on E-470 every day or gridlock on I-25 between Lodo and DTC area. 40-50 miles one way.

Even though I like trains [and Louisville is slated to get passenger train service to Denver in the next decade] I advise anyone to STAY AWAY from the tracks. The homes and townhomes near Harper Lake, the Community Rec. Center, and the western side of town (golf course) is what I recommend. Just don't buy near the powerlines. Plus you are also closer to the Denver RTD bus depot in Superior along RT36.

I miss Louisville and Colorado. A stable job and career marketability is KEY to making it there in the long run. Good Luck.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:42 AM

16 posts, read 47,973 times
Default Louisville update

It's been a few months since I've been on the forum, I decided to check in and see what's going on.

A few people have mentioned Superior, and if anyone who happens to read this forum, I definitely would suggest that they take a look at that town as well. If we hadn't lucked out and found the house that we did, our second choice was in Superior. It does have a different feel to it, but as was mentioned previously, you get a newer house and all the amenities that come with that.

"Regency" posted that Winter Park, FL had really fallen apart, that's a shame as it's been over 10 years since I've lived there and growing up in the 80's, it was a wonderful place to live. If that's true about the crime rate, it's really sad.

Back in March, we celebrated the "one year anniversary" of our move to Louisville, and we are even more enthusiastic about being here. We just got back from a business trip, and it reaffirms my belief that the move here was a wise one.

I have a question regarding the Fastracks, where will the primary "station" be? Any idea on the timeframes? I've been peeking at the website trying to get an idea of when Louisville might be completed, any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:56 AM

530 posts, read 2,625,162 times
Fastracks station will be in downtown Louisville. I think it supposed to be completed in 2012 or so, you know how these things go.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:05 AM

530 posts, read 2,625,162 times
Thumbs up Louisville #1 Best Place to Live in America

Several years ago Money magazine ranked Louisville #5, then a couple of years ago #3, and now we finally did it WE'RE #1
Best Places to Live 2009 - Top 100: City details: Louisville, CO - from MONEY Magazine

Old 07-21-2009, 05:08 PM

724 posts, read 1,933,875 times
I'm torn between the validation of knowing where I want to live is a good place, and the dread that now everyone else knows about it. Ah, sharing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area