Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 05:26 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,781 times

Advertisements

Fair enough, but I don't think you'll win anyone over joking about eating their pets.

The dog wasn't the only reason we moved. But OTOH, if we had of loved living there we probably would have bought an investment property and stayed put.

We're really lucky to now live somewhere with almost zero noise pollution. I could count the number of times I can hear a single woof-woof on one hand - for an entire year!

Still some dog owners think it's OK to ignore our leash laws and let their dog wonder off onto our property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 05:47 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Fair enough, but I don't think you'll win anyone over joking about eating their pets.

The dog wasn't the only reason we moved. But OTOH, if we had of loved living there we probably would have bought an investment property and stayed put.

We're really lucky to now live somewhere with almost zero noise pollution. I could count the number of times I can hear a single woof-woof on one hand - for an entire year!

Still some dog owners think it's OK to ignore our leash laws and let their dog wonder off onto our property.
I tell you a real serious issue. My mother was in a nursing home. An employee was allowed to bring her little Mexican Chihuahua to work. She let it run loose. It would snap at visitors and residents. I said to the Director it was not a good dog for this place and certainly not on a leash. A day or two latter, I was walking and it came out of a room and snapped. It startled me and I fell against the wall. Now, I have mobility issue.

There were many people around and that fat stupid ignorant owner employee. I said looking at the dog "I would not bark at a hungry fat man or I may change your name to lunch". The employee complained.

The Director talked to me as she felt I was out of line. Well, she got a face full of me. I made many complaints and the dog was gone and the employee were gone in the next day. She could have kept her job but she could not work without her dog around--an uneducated employee who they let have her way. My mother left the facility. I continued my complaints--the Director was gone in two month.

I do not grovel! I had problems with barking dogs; dogs going after me--I have been to court, many times, and I solved those problems--I did not move and I did not grovel.

It is battle we need to fight--not move away. These dog people and their pit bulls forget that a woman was mauled to death in her barn by two of these animals let loose by the low life owner--hence one of reasons for the ban in Aurora. We see these issues all the time--we need to fight not grovel.

My father is now in institutional care. There is a nice big beautiful dog that they have allowed in the facility. This dog is kind, good mattered and gentle. Some residents have dogs--all pleasant and gentle. It is a pleasure to interact with these animals and they provide a valued service to the elderly. They make me feel good when I go see my father. I try to remember what Radar said in the TV show MASH Dogs are people too.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 04-24-2014 at 06:13 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 11:46 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I do not grovel! I had problems with barking dogs; dogs going after me--I have been to court, many times, and I solved those problems--I did not move and I did not grovel.
I prefer to spend my time on other things (family/sports). It's just not worth getting caught up in all that when you have better options to solve the problem (for me anyway).

But hey, if you feel strongly enough about it good for you.

The further from the city I move, the less of an issue it seems to be. Now I face off with lama's and the occasional moose or stray cow.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:58 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
I prefer to spend my time on other things (family/sports). It's just not worth getting caught up in all that when you have better options to solve the problem (for me anyway).

But hey, if you feel strongly enough about it good for you.

The further from the city I move, the less of an issue it seems to be. Now I face off with lama's and the occasional moose or stray cow.
I am glad you found peace but it not only a city problem. It is big problem in the foothills and rural areas.

I remember well visiting a relative in one of the canyons west of Boulder. I had a problem with my car and got out to investigate. Suddenly four large dogs came fast and aggressively toward me. I jumped back in my car, just in time. What happens in these areas, the bozos who in these rural areas let their dogs run loose; they form packs and roam around--they go back to the natural instinct to attack. That was an extremely frightening experience. I was told that is very common event.

Actually, there are few dog problems in the very dense urban downtown areas of the best cities. It is not a big problem in Manhattan where I live. I never see problems in Downtown Denver until you get to the Platte Parks where there are the liberal yuppies letting their dogs run loose. I never had problems in Europe with barking or loose dogs.

I do not go out of my way to seek problems. I prefer to avoid them and more times I ignored idiot dog owners that are causing problems than opposing them. I never say anything to a dog owner with a dog off leash unless it affects me directly.

One time in my neighborhood, a moron car owner drained his antifreeze into the street. I went to the idiot who seems to always let his dog run loose and warned him, so the dog would not be harmed. I picked up a dog hit by a car about 40 years ago and brought the poor creature to the vet; I paid for the care and the dog died--I cried. So, do not judge me wrong.

Livecontent

Old 05-14-2014, 06:12 PM

3 posts, read 2,929 times
... I think there's a bigger problem. Boulder is actually pretty strict regarding pet policy and licensing and dog owners have to comply or they face fines, some of which can be pretty hefty. But the homeless are encouraged even when breaking the law. And sadly, our country's present day "all about me" culture breeds selfish behavior, and a lack of conscientiousness whether in dog owners, cyclists, hikers, climbers, runners, skiers, riders, as well as in people who rather disturbingly write of killing and eating the beloved pets of others. We're getting too desensitized... It's possible for us to get along and share with one another, but it has to go both ways, especially now that so much of our open space is damaged, off limits and dangerous since the floods.

Not a hijack here... Boulder's leniency toward the homeless is causing more than a few people, dog owners, cyclists, families with kids, kids' activity groups, etc., to begin avoiding a lot of our public park and trail areas because Boulder is fast becoming a mecca for these souls. The West end of Eben G. Fine, including the area around the courthouse and library, has been steadily gaining "residents" for years, as are many areas around town and county. Worse, some of the homeless adopt dogs from shelters to gain sympathy/more cash and does anyone think these folks are enrolling their "pets as props" in obedience classes, keeping them clean and cleaning up after them? I'm guessing not so much.

I used to run there and walk there mostly WITH my on-lead, well-trained, certified therapy dog along with other friends/family, but a lot of us don't really feel comfortable doing so anymore, especially alone. And as for cleanliness? Well, they certainly don't just bag it off trail until their return trip. There used to be nice places to sit and take a break off the path by the creek, but those areas are either "occupied" now or permanently marked with filthy belongings AND excrement, including "wipes". We don't need canine DNA programs and further regulation. I think all of us just need to comply with the regulations all ready in place and behave.

The dog poop problem in Paris is terrible. Like walking down a minefield instead of a street, even in the "posh" areas! Europe has self absorbed people living there too.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-14-2014 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 06-22-2014, 11:12 AM

13 posts, read 16,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
What I have noticed in my neighborhood the Mexican Americans have dogs but the Asian Americans do not. There is an interesting relationship because I can readily see differences, in my neighborhood, with the Mexican kids dropping out of school and making babies and the Asian kids staying in school and making a future.
Livecontent

coulda done without the racist generalizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area