Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,054 times

Advertisements

Hello!
We are in the process of moving from Fredericksburg, VA to either Longmont or Firestone, CO. Would love to live in Boulder, but unfortunately it's out of our price range. We just returned from a house hunting trip and the market was crazy - houses under contract the same day they hit the market! We were able to find 2 houses we are considering - one in Longmont and one in Firestone. What is family life like in either place? My main concern is the schools. Both houses have a 4 on the Goodschools website for middle schools, and one has a 4 for high school or a 6. Both kids are coming from a good school system and I want to keep it that way. Considering Choice enrolling them into either Westview or Mead middle schools - Longmont or Mead High School. Is anyone familiar with any of these schools? I am DREADING having to drive my kids to and from school for the next 6 years! How do others handle this? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 02:37 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,924,354 times
Where is the house in Longmont? What high school/middle school is the house zoned for? When you say Choice enrolling - do you mean open enroll? Do you know for sure that there is still open spaces at those schools? St. Vrain's open enrollment happens at the beginning of the year. Not that you can't still try.

Yes, the market is insane right now. I personally would chose Longmont but it depends on what area of town you are talking. I personally do not like the Northeast side of town.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:21 PM

377 posts, read 1,050,413 times
Longmont is great for families. Definitely Longmont over Firestone! I live in old town Longmont and the community is fantastic, especially for families with kids. But I know plenty of people who really love SW Longmont which has nice easy access to Boulder. (It isn't my cup of tea, but I love old homes and being able to walk downtown, etc.)

Westview is a great school and I think I've heard that it is all full, but you should check on that.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:47 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,921,516 times
Open enrollment is a great option, but the odds aren't very good to get into most of the better schools. It's better to move to a place that you are OK with the local schools in case you don't get your choice during open enrollment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area