Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 02:13 PM

9 posts, read 18,620 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'll be moving out to Louisville early next month from NJ. I'm driving out with my dog so I was looking for some tips for the drive. From what I've read, it seems taking 80 out is a pretty popular route so that's my plan as of now. Is there anything I need to know as far as places to stop, where to make sure to get gas so I don't run out, anything like that? Right now I'm hoping to leave close to 9 or 10 so I can meet up with a friend who lives in mid PA around lunchtime, then driving until late. Is there anywhere aside from Chicago that traffic gets really bad? Oh, and I'm driving a Jeep Wrangler in case you were wondering. pretty awful on gas mileage, I know...

Edit: Also, how much should I expect for tolls? I drove out to Chicago this summer for my brother's wedding and I think I paid around $30-35 one way. Is there a lot more past that point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 03:47 PM

936 posts, read 2,061,724 times
There are no tolls west of chicago on either I-80 or I-25.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:01 PM

11,550 posts, read 52,984,569 times
The interstate routes have plenty of stops available for your convenience ... food, fuel, lodging. If all you are doing is heading West without any tourist activities in mind, there isn't much difference between the places for your purposes.

Best to look ahead on gasbuddy or similar websites to plan your fuel stops at the lower prices. As well, when you're getting to the end of your driving day, use the net to get a reservation at a motel ahead on your route ... although you may be able to find last minute deals from rack rates in some towns. The choice is yours, there's no guarantee either way that you're getting the best possible deal at the time.

Personally, I don't like most franchise restaurants so I'd rather prepare my own meals for enroute stops. With a cooler and a little prep, I can have much better food to my liking, although I still make it a point to stop and take breaks from the driving. With such a long drive ahead, I think you'll do better to look ahead on the maps and try to time your arrivals through the major cities in the non-rush hour times. This may allow you to plan more stops and not push yourself so hard each day's driving.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:46 PM

656 posts, read 1,335,402 times
You might want to consider taking 70 straight across, instead. Less tolls, plus you can bypass Chicago.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:35 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,334,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mire View Post
You might want to consider taking 70 straight across, instead. Less tolls, plus you can bypass Chicago.
Disagree. There are no tolls past Chicago on I-80. There are way more services along the way in Iowa and Nebraska than on I-70 through Missouri and Kansas. I-80 through Nebraska follows the route of the old Mormon Trail. The towns there have been servicing travelers for many years. The only big city past Chicago on I-80 is Omaha, and it's not huge. I-70 takes you through St. Louis and KC. The speed limit is higher in IA and NE.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-15-2014 at 08:42 PM..

Old 09-16-2014, 06:23 AM

9 posts, read 18,620 times
Well that's good to hear that I won't have to worry about tolls after Chicago then! In your experience, how long has the drive taken you guys?

Old 09-16-2014, 07:56 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,334,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavea4 View Post
Well that's good to hear that I won't have to worry about tolls after Chicago then! In your experience, how long has the drive taken you guys?
We always figured 3 days of driving from Pittsburgh. It can be done in two, if you really push it. As my daughter likes to say, "You can eat in the car, you can pee out the window, but you have to stop for gas".

Old 09-16-2014, 08:09 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,454,848 times
I've done both 70 and 80 from PA. I wont take 70 again. Chicago is the only real issue. 70 has St Louis, Indy, Kansan City, all had traffic.

Also if you are with a dog, Drury Inn is very pet friendly hotel.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:17 PM

936 posts, read 2,061,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavea4 View Post
Hi everyone, I'll be moving out to Louisville early next month from NJ. I'm driving out with my dog so I was looking for some tips for the drive. From what I've read, it seems taking 80 out is a pretty popular route so that's my plan as of now. Is there anything I need to know as far as places to stop, where to make sure to get gas so I don't run out, anything like that? Right now I'm hoping to leave close to 9 or 10 so I can meet up with a friend who lives in mid PA around lunchtime, then driving until late. Is there anywhere aside from Chicago that traffic gets really bad? Oh, and I'm driving a Jeep Wrangler in case you were wondering. pretty awful on gas mileage, I know...

Edit: Also, how much should I expect for tolls? I drove out to Chicago this summer for my brother's wedding and I think I paid around $30-35 one way. Is there a lot more past that point?
just start looking for service (gas) signs once you hit a quarter tank and you'll never run out. For the most part the spacing of gas stations is pretty close on I-80 that it won't be an issue to worry about.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:30 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,454,848 times
Don't forget 80 has the worlds largest truck stop! Cant miss that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area