Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 02:28 PM

57 posts, read 261,568 times

Advertisements

Are there any nice mountain ski resort towns within a hour of Denver/Boulder that any of you would suggest to be a good town to move to? I don't want to have to drive a hour to snowboard every weekend - I'd rather drive a hour to the city when I need some city fun.

Any info would help - Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 05:28 PM

226 posts, read 1,218,314 times
breckenridge and vail are about 1 1/2 hours from denver in ideal conditions. there's also frisco, which is closer to denver but not too far from breckenridge. georgetown is even closer.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:54 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolavanatta View Post
Are there any nice mountain ski resort towns within a hour of Denver/Boulder that any of you would suggest to be a good town to move to? I don't want to have to drive a hour to snowboard every weekend - I'd rather drive a hour to the city when I need some city fun.

Any info would help - Thanks!
Are you planning to work? If so, I'd recommend planning to live on the Front Range somewhere.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:32 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,852,792 times
How about Nederland? El Dora is right there and Boulder is just down the canyon. Nederland isn't for everyone, I like it though. Hippie dippy mountain town.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:08 PM

271 posts, read 1,378,911 times
If you are not going to work, IMHO there's not much to do in the resort towns besides hiking and skiing. What would you do between weekends? Sure, there are restaurants and bars, but not very many and they'd probably get old fast.

You might split the difference and live in Georgetown or Dillon/Frisco/Silverthorne if you want to ski in Summit or Grand Counties. You could also live in Nederland, but the only choice there is Eldora.

If you're going to work, I'd recommend living in Lakewood, Golden, or perhaps Evergreen. Jobs in the mountains generally pay much less and there are much fewer of them and plenty of ski bums competing for them. Housing is also generally more expensive.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:33 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,692,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon View Post
If you are not going to work, IMHO there's not much to do in the resort towns besides hiking and skiing. What would you do between weekends? Sure, there are restaurants and bars, but not very many and they'd probably get old fast.

You might split the difference and live in Georgetown or Dillon/Frisco/Silverthorne if you want to ski in Summit or Grand Counties. You could also live in Nederland, but the only choice there is Eldora.

If you're going to work, I'd recommend living in Lakewood, Golden, or perhaps Evergreen. Jobs in the mountains generally pay much less and there are much fewer of them and plenty of ski bums competing for them. Housing is also generally more expensive.
In connection with Oberon's last paragraph, ski resort jobs are very competitive and don't necessarily pay well. Summit County does generally pay for their employees to live in an apartment, but it is likely the cheapest they can find. I do not believe ski resorts pay for their employees' housing.

I would go with previous posts and live along the Front Range if you plan to work (in something other than skiing or outdoors).

Old 01-08-2008, 08:41 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
You could live in Nederland and work in Boulder. It's only about a 1/2 hr drive. Boulder jobs tend to be competitive, too, but not as bad as the ski resorts.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:13 AM

57 posts, read 261,568 times
thanks all for the great info!!! i would be working from home and my bf works for enterprise and they are everywhere - but i'm sure, like most of you suggested, closer to the front range or nederland might be better...any more thoughts, much appreciated! thanks again!

Old 01-09-2008, 08:29 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,692,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolavanatta View Post
thanks all for the great info!!! i would be working from home and my bf works for enterprise and they are everywhere - but i'm sure, like most of you suggested, closer to the front range or nederland might be better...any more thoughts, much appreciated! thanks again!
I am sure there are car rental agencies in the larger mountain communities of Summit County like Dillon/Silverthorne. It is worth a look if that's where you guys have your hearts set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area