Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 12:32 PM

377 posts, read 1,054,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilctj17 View Post
Here's the deal. We both want to live within walking distance (optimally), or driving distance of some great mountainous hiking trails.
Living close to mountainous trails generally means $$$.

Quote:
We also would be moving with a limited budget.
What is your budget? Longmont used to be the most budget-friendly option, but the rental market in this region is super competitive, just to give you a head's up.

Quote:
So my question is, are there any affordable towns near Boulder, that also have a good nightlife?
Depends what your interests are... yes, there are restaurants in all the towns around Boulder. If you like craft beer, you will be in heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 08:02 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
Quote:
Wow, kind of nasty responses for someone who is simply asking a question. The reason I would have a limited budget is because we would be moving all the way across the country, and unless someone has a very high paying job, that kind of move would limit any ones budget.

I am working on my degree and don't plan to move until I have it so that I can properly secure a job before I get there.

I suppose coming from such a small town, my idea of a good nightlife differs from others. I really am just wondering if the smaller towns on the outskirts of Boulder have at least one restaurant open after 5pm. I can't get that where i'm at.
I thought some responses were a bit aggressive also, but don't take it personally. I see you're new. This same type of response occurs in other such popular places on C-D where it seems some/most regular posters wish to discourage anyone else from relocating there (even including the most recent of transplants?).

See Portland, Oregon's board, as seemingly any potential relocator is barked at: "are you educated, are you hip and cool, are your dogs cool?, transplants have ruined our state," blah blah. Most mean well....

Old 11-10-2015, 03:57 AM

7 posts, read 10,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^We see a lot of such inquiries, of people with very unrealistic plans. Yours seems fairly realistic, now that you've told us. DH and I actually came here without jobs, but I had plenty of experience and he had just finished grad school and needed to look for a job no matter where we lived (for comparison's sake).

There are plenty of places that have restaurants open after 5 PM. You might try Louisville, though it's getting more expensive. Lafayette is a more reasonable option.
Thanks for the suggestion! I was looking into Louisville! It seems much more affordable for us, than Boulder, while also being nearer to the mountains.

I visited Lakewood and Denver in August, while helping friends move there. They actually moved without jobs, and I was really worried about them, but they are making it work. I really liked Lakewood, but I wanted a better view of the mountains, as opposed to the foothills. Even the foothills were amazing though. I'm from Escanaba, Michigan (the U.P.), and there is nothing but flat land and pine trees. I will miss the lakes though.

Currently, my boyfriend and I have a combined monthly income of only $2600. I try and think about the fact that Colorado has slightly better wages, but it's difficult to calculate on uncertainties. We might move in with friends, and that would make housing more affordable. I'll look into Louisville more. Also, I heard good things about Gunbarrel.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageRider View Post
Living close to mountainous trails generally means $$$.

What is your budget? Longmont used to be the most budget-friendly option, but the rental market in this region is super competitive, just to give you a head's up.

Depends what your interests are... yes, there are restaurants in all the towns around Boulder. If you like craft beer, you will be in heaven.
I freakin' LOVE craft beers. We have ONE new brewery in the town i'm currently in. I would love to go to a place where we have more options! Haha

Old 11-10-2015, 03:57 PM

380 posts, read 652,500 times
Quote:
I'm from Escanaba, Michigan (the U.P.), and there is nothing but flat land and pine trees. I will miss the lakes though.
Wow, that's up there. I'm from the Detroit area. Do people have the Yooper accent there?

Old 11-14-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
Wow, that's up there. I'm from the Detroit area. Do people have the Yooper accent there?
Haha, yeah it's pretty far north. I don't feel like I have an accent (most people don't think they do anyways), but I sometimes catch myself saying "Aboot" instead of about. Other than that, the real thick "Yooper" accents start showing up near Houghton all the way up to Copper Harbor, and west towards Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Last edited by wilctj17; 11-14-2015 at 06:25 PM..

Old 11-14-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The only place near Boulder that has a lot of night life is Denver. Louisville has a decent amount of nightlife, for a town of 20,000, but keep that number in mind.
Is that number supposed to be small, or large to you? I currently live in a town of 12,000 so that actually sounds like quite a pleasant amount to me

Old 11-14-2015, 11:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Is that number supposed to be small, or large to you? I currently live in a town of 12,000 so that actually sounds like quite a pleasant amount to me
Louisville about 1/5 the size of Boulder, and 1/30th the size of Denver. It has a lot, but not all those two have.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:55 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
Quote:
Currently, my boyfriend and I have a combined monthly income of only $2600. I try and think about the fact that Colorado has slightly better wages, but it's difficult to calculate on uncertainties.
That's a combined income of $31k a year. You both will need to find better jobs. You really don't want to come out here and try to make it work with a minimum wage job. The cost of living will make it a miserable existence.

btw, I've been through Escanaba! I was just driving through, but I remember the big hotel. Interestingly, Boulder is about the same size as Green Bay. Except Denver and it's 3 million people are 30 miles away.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
That's a combined income of $31k a year. You both will need to find better jobs. You really don't want to come out here and try to make it work with a minimum wage job. The cost of living will make it a miserable existence.

btw, I've been through Escanaba! I was just driving through, but I remember the big hotel. Interestingly, Boulder is about the same size as Green Bay. Except Denver and it's 3 million people are 30 miles away.
We both certainly plan on getting better jobs, but I really appreciate the reality check. It's hard to imagine the financial differences between where i'm at now and what it will be like there. Our rent right now is $525 plus we pay utilities, and that's high for our area. From what I've seen, you can't find a single place for less than a thousand in Colorado.

And yes, The House of Ludington! Creepy place to stay the night, but a beautiful dining hall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area