Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 10:04 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't live there so I don't know, but I suspect in Colorado you'll have to deal with pot smoking instead, which is worse than cigarette smoking--at least to me.
Exactly. You don't live here so you don't know. Why bother posting about something you have no clue about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 02:40 PM

380 posts, read 652,500 times
Dude behind me was smoking today -- at the gas station, no less.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:43 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
Dude behind me was smoking today -- at the gas station, no less.
Hey, we do get a lot of tourists from Nebraska.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:24 PM

862 posts, read 1,196,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
The Colorado Clean Indoor Air Act went into effect on July 1, 2006, making all restaurants and bars 100% smokefree.

Despite the Colorado Clean Indoor Act I wouldn't say that all restaurants, bars or even stores are "100% smoke free" as if it were the case smoking wouldn't be allowed at all on the property..well in one's private car in the parking lot would be the exception. Of course because of the law with the exception of such places as cigar lounges, hookah hangouts and tobacco shops no smoking is allowed inside however many restaurants and bars in Colorado do offer an outdoor smoking section. Sounds OK right ?? It is with most places since such sections can easily be avoided for those who don't like smoke but there are a few places where the smoking section is right next to the entrance of the business. Take the Denver Wrangler bar for example. One can actually smell like smoke even before going inside that place since one of their smoking sections is located right outside by the front door and then there are a few bars where the bar itself can actually extend to outside..aka the "smoking section". I can sit at the bar inside having a drink meanwhile just a few feet away people are smoking at the bar since that part is "outside" so course the smoke comes right back into the building. Now I can understand wanting to serve all customers but this sort of thing kinda defeats the purpose.

Oh and then they are the retail stores and restaurants where for some reason some of the employees or even their customers feel the need to take their smoke breaks just outside of the entrance to the business. Just yesterday a group of us were planning to have lunch at a Village Inn restaurant in Aurora. Unfortunately some of their employees were having a smoke break but rather than doing it behind the restaurant away from customers they were smoking right next to the front door of the place blowing smoke towards those who had wanted to enter. Complain to management ?? Ah one of the smokers was their manager. We ended up going someplace else.

Last edited by tantan1968; 11-10-2015 at 11:36 PM..

Old 11-11-2015, 02:10 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
Yes, sane ne

Oh and then they are the retail stores and restaurants where for some reason some of the employees or even their customers feel the need to take their smoke breaks just outside of the entrance to the business. Just yesterday a group of us were planning to have lunch at a Village Inn restaurant in their employees were having a smoke break but rather than doing it behind the restaurant away from customers they were smoking right next to the front door of the place blowing smoke towards those who had wanted to enter. Complain to management ?? Ah one of the smokers was their manager. We ended up going someplace else.
Yes, same here in front of a bus stop in South Boston. It's always been there, but now that block has turned yuppie with rentals and restaurants. Whaddayaknow, in front of Starbucks and some upscale restaurant, smokers puff away. I've mentioned to that Starbucks that it's likely the most disgusting entrance to any of their stores...once or twice, a soggy butt is dragged from outside onto the floor of Starbucks. Appetite killer!

Even my local supermarket has employees puffing out front, too close to the entrance, in my mind.

My bosses smoke but I'm too chicken to tell them how I feel.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:49 AM

380 posts, read 652,500 times
Smoking is for poor people.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:11 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Smoking is an economic benefit to society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
Smoking is for poor people.
Yup.

"By Poverty Status
About 29 of every 100 adults who live below the poverty level (29.2%)
About 16 of every 100 adults who live at or above the poverty level (16.2%)"
CDC - Fact Sheet - Current Cigarette Smoking Among Adults in the United States - Smoking & Tobacco Use

Old 11-11-2015, 12:47 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Among states, the lowest smoking rate is Utah, followed by Hawaii, then California.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:58 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,128 times
Denver Post article from 2012 on Boulder's smoking ban history: Smoking ban: Boulder leaders, businesses look to snuff out tobacco in public - The Denver Post
Boulder was at the forefront of the anti-smoking movement by the mid-1990s. When the city extended its rules in 1995 to include a ban on smoking in bars and restaurants, workplaces and retail stores, it was among the first municipalities to adopt broad anti-smoking measures.

Boulder passed an outdoor smoking ban earlier this year:
Boulder approves expanded outdoor smoking ban, including e-cigarettes - Boulder Daily Camera
Boulder smokers will no longer be able to light up in the downtown business district, in city parks, open space or within 25 feet of bus stops, multi-use paths and entrances to buildings.
The Boulder City Council voted unanimously Tuesday night to adopt the outdoor smoking ban, the latest in a series of bans that started with a prohibition on smoking on the Pearl Street Mall in 2012.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:00 PM

936 posts, read 2,068,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I'm so tired of encountering cigarette smoking in certain areas of Boston and adjacent communities. You'd think otherwise, that such an educated area would have little of that issue.

Lots of Chinese men smoke in my city of Quincy, next to a section of Boston called Dorchester. Also, the Chinese community is very large, and it's frustrating to hear most of them not speaking English, whether they're elderly and off the boat or younger and with families. Further, plenty of low-income whites in Boston and Quincy area smoke (and spit!).

I sound judgmental, and I am.

I'd think most parts of Boulder and adjacent communities are smoke-free, or at least very restrictive. Most people are fit and healthy there, so they'd have no tolerance for smoking...right? Maybe Denver downtown is different, as the population is likely more mixed.

I realize some non-smokers don't mind smokers; but some smokers admit to me they hate smelling others' smoke when passing by or sitting in traffic.

Most university students in Boulder do not smoke cigarettes, right? I do realize that here in Boston, some foreign students smoke, and that's just the way it is.

It seems like I'm setting myself up for disappointment, even in Boulder.

I
Please don't move here, most of us don't smoke, and most of us don't take kindly to racists either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area