Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 06:59 PM

380 posts, read 652,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Hey, we do get a lot of tourists from Nebraska.
Saw another guy light up today, again at a gas station. I checked his plates and they were indeed Colorado. He looked kinda like this but wasn't smiling:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 08:31 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
Please don't move here, most of us don't smoke, and most of us don't take kindly to racists either.
I don't think I'm racist...just classist.

Most smokers in my Boston environment seem to be of lower education and white, some minorities, seems many Chinese men, and some foreign students.

I'm a veteran cabbie, and realize many/most of you would consider me white trash, and not rent a room or apt. to me...even without meeting me.. all due to my job. If I called myself an Uber driver, you'd have a better opinion, right? Well, at least here in Boston, one's job is important to image in many cases. It's just the way some/many people are here. We all have some prejudices against some people, I think. We have biases against certain colleges, certain cars people choose to drive, etc. We judge.

I judge people on clothing, grammar, tattoos, piercings, use of profanity. When I see someone attractive, then they reach for a cigarette, I'm disappointed. Heck, they're not any less of a person once they reach for that cigarette, I understand, but I do pre-judge.

Am I the only one who admits this?

Old 11-15-2015, 11:48 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
... Am I the only one who admits this?
You're not the only one. I don't like smoking, hell, I hate it. It killed my father and one of my uncles and two of my B-I-Ls and my oldest sister and my little sister fought off breast cancer but still smokes. I grew up in a house full of smoke and cannot stand the memories of yellowed walls and yellowed drapes on the windows and hazy car windows. Before Jimmy Carter outlawed it in Federal offices I used to come home every day reeking of the stuff. I won't hang around any place where there's smoke. None of my pals smoke. We go out to eat more now that it seems every eatery is smoke free and I so like that smoking no longer is allowed on airplanes.

It seems that trades workers smoke more than the white collar types, or maybe it just seems that way since the white collar types have to exit the building to smoke. When some of my co-workers in the Pentagon had to jump out of a second story window after the plane hit on 9-11, there were already people outside who caught them as they jumped - it was the guys outside for a smoke break.

I've one Boston cabbie joke I've been waiting for years to tell.... an unemployed English major from Harvard was driving a cab for a living, a fare hops in at the airport and says 'take me some place where I can get scrod' and the English major cabbie says 'that's the first time I've heard it in the past plu-perfect tense.' (Cabbie thought the fare wanted to go to a bordello, but scrod is actually the term for young cod, haddock or other whitefish....takes a certain wordsmith to enjoy that joke.)
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:55 AM

132 posts, read 132,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'm not sure of the details because I don't live there.

I just know that here in CA where pot is supposed to be for "medicinal" purposes only (which is a joke), people smoke it openly in public and there's little to no enforcement.
I live in Long Beach which is very liberal, never seen what you're describing.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:15 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
I also pre-judged people I see smoking and I will not apologize. I do not associate with those who smoke tobacco and/or marijuana. I will not patronize any business or hire anybody who smokes, if I can avoid it and had other choices. If I was again in the working world, I would not hire smokers.

No one smoked in my immediate family. The extended relatives who did smoke all died of cancer before their time.

I never could stand bowling alleys because they were filled with smoke. Where I grew up--unions, booze, smoking, gambling, bowling, the mob and whores were all comorbid.

When I managed restaurants when they had smoking and non-smoking sections, it was a big issue with wait assignments. All wanted to wait on smokers as they tended to tip more. Of course, it comes from being loose with money. Smokers then to be heavier drinkers and think nothing of throwing cash on a bar for a tip. Non-smokers are more conservative and watchful of their money. An interesting note that in breakfast service, non smoking tables filled up earlier while smoking tables saw the smokers straggling in later.

I had much dealing with Boulder employees who I supervised when I was younger. Those who smoked and those who smoked pot were the worse workers. The pot smokers did not pay attention to details and were not conscientious; as such, there were situations where it was a danger to customers and other employees health and life--and I fired many of them.

To see smoking at gas pumps goes beyond toleration.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area