U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:37 AM

107 posts, read 333,266 times
Default Distance from Boulder to Denver?

Could someone tell me how far of a drive it is from Denver to Boulder? Also how many months in the winter is there snow on the ground?
My husband and I are thinking of relocating and this board looks like a great place for questions, advice etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 10:34 AM

386 posts, read 1,090,877 times
Not far enough.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:35 PM

4,471 posts, read 5,777,446 times
Really depends on where in Denver and what time of day because of traffic.
As far as how many months there is snow on the ground....do you mean continually? Really doesn't happen here. It doesn't really stay on the ground long here. Last winter being an exception.....

Old 03-16-2008, 05:47 PM

2,315 posts, read 3,794,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerlin View Post
Could someone tell me how far of a drive it is from Denver to Boulder? Also how many months in the winter is there snow on the ground?
My husband and I are thinking of relocating and this board looks like a great place for questions, advice etc.
From downtown Boulder to downtown Denver is about 30 miles; count on 45 minutes, more or less. When there are accidents, when it's snowing, all bets are off as to how long it takes.

As jkcoop said above, snow doesn't stay on the ground. Neither Boulder nor Denver has a climate where there is constant snow on the ground.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:07 PM

508 posts, read 1,809,630 times
I live in Louisville and work in Cherry Creek in Denver. Door to door it's 25 miles. Driving takes about 35-40 min each way. Accidents do happen, but so far I've been lucky, there have not been many on the Boulder Trpke. And I take the HOV lane on I25. You can do this even if you are alone in the car with a toll tag. Snow isn't too much of a problem. The roads are cleared rather well as far as I'm concerned. I'd say you might have to deal with a rough and snowy commute about 3-5x per winter. This is my own personal experience.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:41 PM

68,911 posts, read 57,728,701 times
I would agree with everything that has been said. I think if you are really looking to move here you should get a good set of maps of the area and get familiar with MapQuest. You can do a search through the indexes and find a wealth of information on weather, traffic, and many other issues pertaining to Colorado.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:15 PM

5 posts, read 94,459 times
It's an hour, just always figure an hour from Boulder to Denver. I live and work in Boulder but had to work on a project for a month which required me to commute to Denver (25 and I-70-Peoria Exit) for a month. It always took me over an hour in the mornings to get there and I would leave my house at 7 am. I would arrive at that office at 8:20-8:30 am. If I didn't get out until after 4 pm, it would take about 90 minutes to get back home; the traffic was horrible.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:38 PM

212 posts, read 518,171 times
Why is the traffic so horrible? Do the highways need to be expanded?

Old 03-25-2008, 09:36 PM

4,749 posts, read 8,392,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAPA View Post
Why is the traffic so horrible? Do the highways need to be expanded?
The traffic is horrible because it is a growing metro area. There is only one highway into Boulder and that is I-36. Remember it is not the cars that make it horrible; it is the people who drive the cars. We need less people who drive, and more to take the bus.

There will be no expansion with only general purpose lanes.

The improvements is currently under discussion and a Draft Environment Impact Statement(DEIS) has been released.

According to the DEIS, the two alternatives are: Package 2: Express lanes and Bus Rapid Transit, Package 4: General Purpose Lanes and High Occupancy Vehicle and Bus Rapid Transit.

I think in reading the DEIS that package 2 will prevail because of costs and the idea is to "get people out of their cars". and what is clear, in all alternatives, a Bus Rapid Transit) BRT will be built.

If your into a further reading US 36 EIS - HomePage Maintenance

Livecontent

Old 04-13-2008, 11:17 PM

87 posts, read 286,307 times
I have lived in the area for 40+ years and they have been expanding the interstate system around Denver continuously that whole time and it only gets worse. I remember the Governor at the time saying that we would never catch up to the growth....and we haven't!

And it seems like the drivers just get worse too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area