Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2018, 10:14 AM

3 posts, read 4,174 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Just got a job in Boulder, moving from DC, and I cannot find a single apartment building in the following towns that has no carpet anywhere. My SO has a severe dust mite allergy so this is one of our very few non-negotiables.
-Louisville
-Superior
-Broomfield/Interlocken
-Lafayette
-Gunbarrel
-Northglenn

Need to stay closer to Denver rather than Longmont because SO's job will most likely be in downtown Denver, so we should try to stay between the two.

Since Boulder proper is expensive, I'd like to stay out of city limits, which is why I was looking in these towns. I have found one in Westminster, one in Table Mesa (still Boulder proper I guess), one in Arvada, and one in Lakewood, that meets all the following criteria:
-No carpet anywhere including bedroom
-Cat friendly
-Under 2k

I can't afford to buy right now, and I don't want to live in a rented home, so I'm looking only at professionally managed apartment buildings (yes, I'm aware of pet deposits and the lack of rent control).

Am I missing something? Is there some law that requires all apartments in Broomfield and surrounding areas to have carpet in the bedroom at a minimum? I've used every single apartment search engine you can think of, including craigslist, apartments.com, apartmentlist, hotpads, zillow rentals, apartmentfinder, even just Googling and combing through results. I feel like I'm going insane from searching, and I need quick turnaround for this. Thanks in advance for any help, leads, or insights, I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 01:14 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
No, there’s no law that says apartments have to be carpeted. But one reason that most of them are is for reducing noise between apartments. Also, I would image that redoing wood floors that get damaged is a lot harder then just cleaning a carpet.

Commuting to your jobs in both Boulder and Denver is going to be hard. You should probably grab one of the uncarpeted apartments either in Westminster or Table Mesa and quit trying to find any more.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:32 PM

Yeah, you're probably right. Thanks for the reply!

Old 05-26-2018, 03:18 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
A quick search with PadMapper.com for Broomfield ( with filter keyword = hardwood) showed at least 1 apt complex that had carpet only in the bedroom. Maybe they would allow you to remove the carpet, store it, and reinstall on move out ??

Also, have you tried cruising the smaller apt buildings in Broomfield, that mainly advertise by yard signs, etc. Try the Marble St area behind the bowling alley for starts. Possibly these smaller buildings have all hardwood/tile so owner does not need to replace carpet with each tenant change.

Good Luck, otherwise go with the Westminster location.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:32 PM

Thanks! Most managed buildings won't let you do that with the carpet (many won't even let you use nails in the wall), so I'd like to try to avoid DIYs like that if possible.

I have a visit scheduled in the next couple weeks and will definitely do that. I wonder if the problem is that all the ones you'd find by search engine come from the bigger property management companies, and they tend to own newer construction, which seems to have carpet as a ubiquitous feature.

Yep- Westminster in general seems like a good place!

Old 05-27-2018, 04:32 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,602 times
What Dreaming of Hawaii said. Much easier and cheaper to simply go in and replace the carpet when tenants move out. I never lived in a single Boulder/Denver metro apartment or condo with anything other than carpet. Further, most of the apartments here are not historic (old enough) to offer wood floors which is more common on the east coast. Some of the downtown loft spaces do have cement floors but they are pricey, of course. You might have better luck renting a single family home.

As someone who suffers from environmental allergies, immunotherapy is a lifesaver. (Also, watch out for ragweed in CO in the fall.) I cannot imagine having a dust mite allergery and not doing shots! Oh, and the cat req on top of it is really going to throw it off big time, most of the places I/friends rented allowed dogs but no cats bc they usually do more damage. Good luck.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:44 AM

401 posts, read 487,222 times
I would try for bottom floors in apartment complexes. Many apartment buildings will only do the bottom floors without carpet because top floors create too much noise without the carpet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area