U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 08:19 PM

18 posts, read 15,976 times

Advertisements

DH is considering a move to Longmont, CO. We have 3 young children and public school is very important to us. Our housing budget is $700k. We prefer not to live in Longmont (schools don't seem great and it seems very remote!). What neighborhoods would you recommend with a <30 minute commute to Longmont? I worry during the winter a 30 minute commute could easily turn into an hour.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 09:06 PM

24,718 posts, read 45,838,357 times
Don't let the tail wag the dog; only a few times each winter will he have a snowy commute. Strongly suggest you find the right locality and keep in mind that the Boulder Valley School District (aka BVSD, a searchable term on this site) is highly regarded.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:57 AM

5,493 posts, read 11,801,393 times
Where are you moving from that you think Longmont is "remote"? It's a very thriving community of almost 93,000 people, located 15 miles from Boulder and about 35 miles to downtown Denver. What are you looking for besides good schools?

I suggest you start your housing search in Longmont.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:27 AM

1,136 posts, read 977,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Where are you moving from that you think Longmont is "remote"? It's a very thriving community of almost 93,000 people, located 15 miles from Boulder and about 35 miles to downtown Denver. What are you looking for besides good schools?

I suggest you start your housing search in Longmont.
Longmont is a.k.a. "Boulder East" now- a lot of the same policies being enacted by the City Council similar to the Boulder Nanny State (unfortunately).

Old 08-28-2018, 09:44 AM

9,137 posts, read 5,257,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktacos View Post
DH is considering a move to Longmont, CO. ... We prefer not to live in Longmont
Sounds like a contradiction.

Despite what is said directly above, Boulder and Longmont are quite different from each other culturally. I doubt that anyone here considers either city to be "remote".

If you're coming from TX (75703), be prepared for a lack of significant trees and shading. It's extremely open to the sky around here. It's awfully cold in winter too.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-28-2018 at 10:11 AM..

Old 08-28-2018, 09:56 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,677,362 times
Quote:
DH is considering a move to Longmont, CO. We have 3 young children and public school is very important to us. Our housing budget is $700k. We prefer not to live in Longmont (schools don't seem great and it seems very remote!). What neighborhoods would you recommend with a <30 minute commute to Longmont? I worry during the winter a 30 minute commute could easily turn into an hour.
There are plenty of good options near Longmont. What about Longmont makes you feel like it is remote? Do you want to be closer to Denver? Shopping?

Old 08-28-2018, 03:59 PM

18 posts, read 15,976 times
We live 1.5 hours from a major city/airport now and were hoping to be closer to Denver airport and bigger city amenities (sports, entertainment, restaurants, etc). We live in a city of 100,000 right now and it feels so small and remote. I've lived in Houston, Vegas and Chicago and prefer more to do than what a city of 100,000 offers. Secondly I'm considering going back to school at UC Denver or UC Boulder in 3-5 years or back to work and doubt I would find a job in Longmont (although possible?)?

I guess even more than the town size I struggle with finding any schools in Longmont that have great ratings. Most of what I'm seeing are 5's and 4's on Great schools. I'm coming from an area with good schools and hate to downgrade in that regard. If there are very highly rated elementary schools I'm not seeing please steer me in that direction!

What is the commute headed north to Longmont like? Is it a reverse commute?

So far Louisville is appealing (but such limited inventory with our budget) and possibly Superior. Broomfield has a bunch of inventory in our price range and schools seem ok but I'm having trouble getting a feel for the area - any opinions?

In my dream world we would have upscale shopping and restaurants within 10 minutes of our house (ie Whole Foods, fine dining, etc) and then we could drive 30 minutes to Denver or Boulder on the weekends and 45 minutes to the airport. Any recommendations on places like this (within 30 minutes of Longmont).

Old 08-28-2018, 04:49 PM

9,137 posts, read 5,257,765 times
Quote:
We live in a city of 100,000 right now and it feels so small ... prefer more to do than what a city of 100,000 offers.

What is the commute headed north to Longmont like? Is it a reverse commute?

So far Louisville is appealing (but such limited inventory with our budget) and possibly Superior. Broomfield has a bunch of inventory in our price range and schools seem ok but I'm having trouble getting a feel for the area - any opinions?
What's the reason why Longmont keeps coming up; a job already lined up for your "DH"?

If a population of 100K is too small - and I can understand that - why even consider Longmont, Superior, and Broomfield? Superior is especially tiny, with only about 13,000 people. The population density is also very high (3315 people per sq. mile), in a city only 4 square miles in size.

Have you been to this area to see what it is like, up close and personal? What if no schools here are acceptable?

Old 08-29-2018, 06:11 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,677,362 times
Louisville or Superior sound perfect for you, but I agree the inventory is not the best under $700k. The prices have gone through the roof!

Old 08-29-2018, 06:46 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,772,487 times
You might consider Niwot. The neighborhood elementary school, Niwot Elementary, and neighborhood high school, Niwot High are both excellent schools (Niwot is in the same school district as Longmont - St Vrain). The middle school, Sunset Middle, isn't as great, but all the families I know who had kids there said it wasn't all that bad, and the kids came through it fine.

Niwot's about 10 minutes from Longmont.

It's a tight market there, as everywhere in the area, but an example of a home there (slightly over your budget):

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M19631-34346
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area