U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Moving to town between Fort Collins and Denver; Need 1,200 square foot home with yard for dogs, seeking information which town best to live in

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:16 PM

20 posts, read 45,735 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to the Boulder area, or at least someplace between Denver and Ft. Collins. I would attend school (and most likely work) in Ft. Collins and my bf would work in Denver. I'm used to a long commute, and one of those weird people that actually likes a long drive , but him not so much.

The real estate market there would mean a huge downgrade for us, since our $180k home here in Austin would probably go for $300k there (from what I've seen). We would need a 1,200+ sq ft home w/a decent enough size yard for dogs and wouldn't be able to afford to pay much more than we pay now (although our prop taxes are higher here than what we would pay there for prop taxes AND state income tax). Would this even be possible in a decent area? Most likely we'll rent and not sell our current home for now because the market is not as good for selling as it is for renting. So what are your thoughts on which towns are good to live in? We would be willing to put quite a bit of elbow grease into a fixer since my bf has a background in remodeling.

Oh, one more thing... we would have to live outside of Denver or any other city that has a ban on pit bulls. Longmont seems like it may be an option.

We are planning a trip there in August so I'm trying to get an idea of areas we should check out.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 9 days ago)

70,023 posts, read 60,574,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheric03 View Post
We are considering moving to the Boulder area, or at least someplace between Denver and Ft. Collins. I would attend school (and most likely work) in Ft. Collins and my bf would work in Denver. I'm used to a long commute, and one of those weird people that actually likes a long drive , but him not so much.

The real estate market there would mean a huge downgrade for us, since our $180k home here in Austin would probably go for $300k there (from what I've seen). We would need a 1,200+ sq ft home w/a decent enough size yard for dogs and wouldn't be able to afford to pay much more than we pay now (although our prop taxes are higher here than what we would pay there for prop taxes AND state income tax). Would this even be possible in a decent area? Most likely we'll rent and not sell our current home for now because the market is not as good for selling as it is for renting. So what are your thoughts on which towns are good to live in? We would be willing to put quite a bit of elbow grease into a fixer since my bf has a background in remodeling.

Oh, one more thing... we would have to live outside of Denver or any other city that has a ban on pit bulls. Longmont seems like it may be an option.

We are planning a trip there in August so I'm trying to get an idea of areas we should check out.

Thanks!
If bf is the one who doesn't like the long drives and you don't mind them, I'd suggest something closer to Denver than Longmont. Louisville might work, though it can be pricey. Lafayette is another option, also Broomfield. But by Bfld, you are getting pretty far from Ft. Collins.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:02 AM

40 posts, read 130,159 times
We are relocating to the area this summer, when my bf flew out to scope out places to rent all the ones he saw in Longmont were disappointing. It wasn't nearly as pretty as the surrounding areas and not much there. The rental houses were run down and old. It was much cheaper out there, but you get what you pay for.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the replies - they are helpful. I'll keep all this in mind when we visit. I wouldn't mind making a sacrifice in size of the home (or commute time) for better scenery - having a larger home in an ugly area just wouldn't be okay for me. Right now we have a 2400 sq ft home, but it's a 2-story and just the dogs and us 2, so we realistically only use half that amount of square footage. Getting less home for our money would be a bit of sticker shock, but the size of the home probably wouldn't be much different as far as what we're used to. I'd also like to have about a quarter acre lot like we have now since we have 4 dogs, but I don't know how realistic that is given our price range.

Considering that my option here would be a 3 hour drive out to school, with virtually nothing in between, my expectations are low when it comes to commute time. I'll be sure to post and let everyone else who's interested know what we find when we visit in August.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:27 PM

4,268 posts, read 7,409,222 times
Quote:

Thanks!

Longmont is a little bit of a hike to Denver unless you're on the Eastern side of town and therefore close to I-25. I can do it in about 35 minutes from Hwy 66. The town itself is pretty cool. Two historic districts, a decent library, a symphony orchestra, a local theater just voted best in the area, a couple of good parks and a greenway running alongside the St Vrain Creek for walking and running, lots of new shopping on Hover St with some of the bigger chains and a lot of new development around the outskirts of town. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether the many apartment complexes in Longmont also inlcude townhomes. Have you checked the usual rental sites including Craigslist?

Old 04-04-2008, 05:17 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,097,558 times
There are some really interesting looking "loft" type places on the s.w. side of Longmont off of Clover Basin.
I love Longmont - not sure what the other poster means by not as pretty as other areas.
One thing I love is the trail system/greenbelt. Everyday I run along a path that run by a creek and I have full views of the mountains. It's wonderful. And the greenbelt along the St. Vrain River is great too for a change of pace.
I can't speak for the rental housing situation in Longmont though. I will say, that I do prefer the southwest side overall - not big on the housing stuff out closer to the interstate and on the east side in general.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
There are some really interesting looking "loft" type places on the s.w. side of Longmont off of Clover Basin.
I love Longmont - not sure what the other poster means by not as pretty as other areas.
One thing I love is the trail system/greenbelt. Everyday I run along a path that run by a creek and I have full views of the mountains. It's wonderful. And the greenbelt along the St. Vrain River is great too for a change of pace.
I can't speak for the rental housing situation in Longmont though. I will say, that I do prefer the southwest side overall - not big on the housing stuff out closer to the interstate and on the east side in general.
Longmont has definitely grown on me in the last 2 years. I started out feeling it wasn't nearly as nice as, say, Boulder, but have come to realise it has a lot going for it. I live in the NE corner of town and love the fact it's just a few minutes drive to Main S or to I-25 or Lyons and the mountains. I can see Long's Peak from my living room!

There are lots of apartment complexes in Longmont but not many townhomes that aren't for sale. However, with the current property situation, I think a lot of would-be sellers are starting to rent their properties instead. The Boulder page at Craigslist has a good selection for Longmont rentals.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the information. I just realized after reading the replies that I didn't specify this, but we are looking to purchase. However, since we may be in a situation where we have to rent while looking for a home, this is good info anyway. Thanks again!

Old 04-10-2008, 11:40 AM

Well, there are lots of places to buy in Longmont too. Just check out coloproperty.com or Keller Williams or Remax. You can search all the surrounding towns in one go with all your criteria. With the property market being what it is, you might find some good bargains. I had a very good realtor in Longmont so let me know if you want his name. I am not a realtor myself, nor do I work in the property industry, so I have no vested interest.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,023 times
Talking Might want to wait on purchasing

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I just realized after reading the replies that I didn't specify this, but we are looking to purchase. However, since we may be in a situation where we have to rent while looking for a home, this is good info anyway. Thanks again!
We are already living in Louisville and have been looking for a place also. After a lot of looking around, we have decided to rent for a year to let the market stabilize a little more. There are some great deals out there, but a lot of those great deals seem to be in areas where the market is declining in a big way. There are good deals in marginal areas and since you are willing to drive you have an advantage, but you'll find after being here for a bit that most people don't commute too far. (We lived in L.A. for years and used to commute a ton, but have reformed our ways here.) Stay out of Longmont unless you like living in a major rural area with the only saving grace being close proximity to I-25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area