Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2008, 03:15 PM

3 posts, read 5,753 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are planning on moving to the Boulder area within the next couple months in order for me to attend culinary school. Culinary school of the Rockies is located downtown (Broadway and Table Mesa) but we're looking at apartments in the surrounding area to try to save a little rent money.

We currently live in Dayton, OH and we're not going to have a chance to visit and look for apartments before our actual move. Picking apartments through the internet is hard...and scary! Ideally we'd like to be able to find a place before we move so that we can start looking for local jobs...we're both in the restaurant industry.

I'd like a little advice...a little word-on-the-street from people in the area. Any apartments you've heard really good things about? Any apartments, or areas, i definitely ought to avoid? We're not picky...just looking for somewhere that's affordable, safe, and maintained. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 03:25 PM

2,885 posts, read 7,110,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz374 View Post
My girlfriend and I are planning on moving to the Boulder area within the next couple months in order for me to attend culinary school. Culinary school of the Rockies is located downtown (Broadway and Table Mesa) but we're looking at apartments in the surrounding area to try to save a little rent money.

We currently live in Dayton, OH and we're not going to have a chance to visit and look for apartments before our actual move. Picking apartments through the internet is hard...and scary! Ideally we'd like to be able to find a place before we move so that we can start looking for local jobs...we're both in the restaurant industry.

I'd like a little advice...a little word-on-the-street from people in the area. Any apartments you've heard really good things about? Any apartments, or areas, i definitely ought to avoid? We're not picky...just looking for somewhere that's affordable, safe, and maintained. Thanks!
So that you know, Culinary School of the Rockies is not downtown; it's in south Boulder, in the Table Mesa area.

Take a look at the Boulder Index thread. You'll find lots of information that has already been posted about renting in Boulder neighborhoods and the surrounding communities.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:31 PM

303 posts, read 1,558,027 times
Try looking at the apartment complexes on Thunderbird just off of Table Mesa. They are inexpensive, don't have a lot of undergrads (ie quieter), and a quick convenient commute for you. NAYY, but I know a few people who live there and like it well enough.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:09 AM

74 posts, read 365,645 times
congrats on the move! my husband and i also live in dayton ohio and are moving out to boulder next week! we are in the same situation as you, searching for an apartment (Short term, while we find a place to buy) over the internet. still working out where we will end up....pushing it to the last minute, of course. best of luck to you!!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:45 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,345,034 times
Not every place is advertised on the internet. Do you have some money saved so you could possible stay in a motel, say, for a week, till you find a place? That's what DH and I did when we moved to CO. We then found a very short-term furnished apt, then an unfurnished w/lease, etc.

You will find a lot of undergrads everywhere in Boulder, but they are concentrated around the University.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:14 AM

182 posts, read 667,136 times
Just very generally, the large complexes east of Broadway and south of Baseline tend to be a little less nice. If I were in your shoes, I would look west of Broadway for a duplex, quad, or even a garden level apt. in a Table Mesa home. Watch Craigslist and property management sites. Good luck!

Also, if you do find something that you like closer to downtown or in central or north boulder, and you are close to Broadway, you can easily hop on the Skip bus to get to school.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:02 AM

moz, just curious to find out if you ever found a place. we got out here last week....we ended up in one of the complexes east of broadway/south of baseline, and i agree, it's not the best, but its short term and affordable. for a rental, it will do (can't say i would want to buy here) i do love the location, however. again, good luck to you!

Old 05-13-2008, 10:06 AM

3 posts, read 5,753 times
amymcf -

congrats on a successful move! did you end up choosing a place over the internet, or did you look at a couple once you got out there?

we will be heading out the last week of june...I've called a couple places in that area to get approved, and i think we're going to plan on staying in a hotel the first couple nights to give us some time to check a couple apartments out.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:19 PM

i just direct messaged you.....good luck! feel free to contact me with any questions about places out here. you will love it, its so great!

Old 05-15-2008, 09:48 AM

182 posts, read 667,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amymcf View Post
moz, just curious to find out if you ever found a place. we got out here last week....we ended up in one of the complexes east of broadway/south of baseline, and i agree, it's not the best, but its short term and affordable. for a rental, it will do (can't say i would want to buy here) i do love the location, however. again, good luck to you!
Welcome to Boulder!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area