Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 08:18 PM

97 posts, read 382,474 times

Advertisements

I know Kat, I guess I am being ridiculous, huh? I really am sorry I brought it up, I don't mean to make anyone mad or frustrated with me. It just seemed like, I don't know, I picked Boulder as the location for my future because of the beauty mostly AND because people there seem to actually care about the environment. They seem like they care about more things than what society TELLS us to care about.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:32 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,281,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHereWeCome View Post
I know Kat, I guess I am being ridiculous, huh? I really am sorry I brought it up, I don't mean to make anyone mad or frustrated with me. It just seemed like, I don't know, I picked Boulder as the location for my future because of the beauty mostly AND because people there seem to actually care about the environment. They seem like they care about more things than what society TELLS us to care about.
It is actually a pretty conventional place to live, with an intolerant liberal bent to it.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:52 PM

227 posts, read 1,006,508 times
Quote:
I am really sorry if that sounded rude. I just feel like you are attacking everything I have wanted for a long time and in the art of being weak, you are making my eyes water. Maybe it has not been thoroughly thought out, but we are JUST in the beginning stages of really talking about this. Honestly though, you should admire the way people think - not criticize it. Maybe I should not have said anything. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Who knew all it'd take is a closed-minded person on city-data to make me reconsider something I've always wanted. You guys have fun. Thanks bullfish.
If you want to dream, then dream. If you want to plan, then plan. If you want to live life to your standards then do so! If you want to interact with people and publish your ideas for the whole world to see then you better be ready hear from all perspectives. Did you really expect to just post your ideas and wait for the praises to flow in or did you expect input from any side? I am a "live and let live" guy all the way around, and I don't care one bit about your lifestyle choices, but I also have my opinions. If I see someone making decisions that make no sense to me I engage them into a conversation where I expect them to have some way to make a point and try to back it up. You have added emotion into this mix which isn't a good talking point. I posed a series of real life scenarios against your dream (that you published for the world to see and comment on) and instead of taking them into consideration you become the martyr... another free spirit who is trying to be pushed down by "the man". Let's not turn this into a conversation about me, these are your ideas we are talking about. If you can't justify your arguement then you have none. If you don't stand for what you believe in then you will fall for anything, such as one closed minded "bullyfish" on city-data.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:02 PM

5,161 posts, read 11,405,327 times
The 2 threads have been merged...

Let's please be respectful to those who share viewpoints different from our own,
Thank you

forum rules, please read them

Last edited by katzenfreund; 07-14-2008 at 09:28 PM..

Old 07-14-2008, 09:22 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,383,997 times
Quote:
I understand the monetary value - I am willing to pay more to get more. I was not saying that money wont be needed just that we were throwing ideas out there. We really are just getting started with all of this so good AND bad thoughts are welcomed. Thank you for your input - I appreciate you all looking out. Ryanek this is not a joke, it's a nice way to live, I know many people who have successfully lived in communes for a long, long time. It just happens that I have a different outlook on how people should live than you do, that's all. Thanks for the support/criticism. I need both sides for this to really work. Does anyone have any other recommendations instead of Boulder? I find it to be so, so beautiful I want something compareable in beauty. Maybe somewhere outside of Boulder? Any suggestions? Thanks everyone.
Wow! Far out--it's 1967 again. Like this: Lisa Law: Communal Living

Sounds like some doobage-induced flashback on the 1960's. Communes popped up all over the place in Colorado and northern New Mexico then. Drugs, sex, and rock-and-roll. Free love and communal raising of the result. A new utopia. The reality was much different. Most of the communes could only survive by the members going on welfare--feeding at the government trough controlled by "The Man." This, as much as anything, led to the communes and their members being widely resented by most other citizens in the areas they inhabited. The drug use didn't help, either.

Turns out many of the children raised in that "environment" turned out with serious emotional problems from lack of security or parental involvement. Most of the communal members found out that the living arrangement never turned out to be so "egalitarian" as they thought it would be, and discord usually broke the communes up. Only a handful of the dozens if not hundreds of communes in this region survived longer than a year or two. Most of the members went back to "mainstream" living, and I doubt if too many of them looked back on their communal life with a great deal of nostalgia.

I'm a pretty independent spirit myself, but the whole communal concept is an idea that was tried by people as dedicated as you are--they failed. Go watch Woodstock three times, buy a tie-died T-shirt, go braless for a month, go flat broke, and then go join the mainstream. That's what nearly all the folks did who went the commune route back in the '60's. You can probably find a couple of 'em filing briefs down at the courthouse, or strutting around a corporate boardroom in a power suit, or writing pithy posts on city-data. You just can't ever be sure . . .

Old 07-14-2008, 09:28 PM

Okay how do I find this...I just did a REALLY good response and it deleted thanks to the merger. How do I get it back? Hahaha!!

To sum up what was lost, my Dear BullyFish (I am kidding with you), it said that I am not trying to be a martyr it was just hurtful the way you were saying things. I came on this sight with my guard down with the intention of hearing "What if it fails... that's stupid because... that will never work in Boulder because of this..etc". I did not come here looking for people to jump at the chance to live with free-spirited Maggie and play hop scotch and jump rope all day in a sunshine daydream. In fact, everytime someone asks if they can do this with me, I am surprised because I feel like I am the only one who wants this.

I don't want to make you feel like you're the bad guy because you aren't. Without you bringing me back down from "la la land" (as you call it) with your comments I would not have thought of some of the things you brought up which is why I really appreciate what you have stated. However, I don't appreciate the fashion you did it in. I feel as though you attacked me more than tried to help me which is not what is needed when someone is looking to chase their dream.

If you are a "live, and let live" guy as you said then you will live and let live. I want you to have your dream, as unrealistic or realistic as it may be. I want you to be happy. I don't sit here and say "you must not be well educated to want that," as I feel you have done to me. Maybe I am just extra sensitive but I felt like you do not know the border of criticism/opinion and an attack. I sat here reading the screen, feeling like I was reading a letter from my mother who is constantely nagging me about how life is about making money and not being happy. That's what it sounded like to me and I want a point of view for sure, but I don't want an attack. I am sorry if I pissed you off or anything along those lines - I just really, really want this and really want people to want it for me, too. That's all. So, again, I am sorry. I wish you the best of luck, honestly.

Oh, and without the sarcasm this time: THANK YOU, bullfish.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:40 PM

Default Ahhhhh!!!

I really, really, really like the way you put that, Jazzlover!! I don't wear tie-dye, I don't wear a bra, I am broke now that I've got my tickets to Amsterdam but I really still don't want to join the mainstream haha. I've got two of the four qualifications hahaha!

So, maybe a commune is not the way to go; Then, what is a way to escape falling into this "trap". I honestly feel like I am doomed if I continue to just float on in society, ya know? When I am working all I can think about is how much of my life I am throwing away. My biggest regret in life WILL be working, I guarantee you that.

Remember: I AM TWENTY! I am supposed to think like this, right? Is it really as bad as I make it out to be? I really, really don't think I can do it.

"I think you will find when
Your death takes its toll
All the money you made
Will never buy back your soul"

Last edited by ColoradoHereWeCome; 07-14-2008 at 09:50 PM..

Old 07-14-2008, 09:50 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,341,057 times
Quote:
I honestly feel like I am doomed if I continue to just float on in society, ya know? When I am working all I can think about is how much of my life I am throwing away. My biggest regret in life WILL be working, I guarantee you that.

Remember: I AM TWENTY! I am supposed to think like this, right? Is it really as bad as I make it out to be? I really, really don't think I can do it.
Oh, poor baby, having to WORK to get by in life. Oh, the horror. You should either marry into money or move to San Francisco and beg.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:52 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,281,064 times
My daughter is about your age ColoradoHereWeCome. She said they got into a discussion in her writing class (?) about "eating locally". The instructor, a hippie-ish type himself (this is CU) said it would be very hard to do in CO, much to the dismay of the student.

Now, some positive advice: If you want to do this, I would suggest starting small. Say, two couples, or you/your bf and two other people. Also, maybe just buy your food, and plant a small garden. If you don't like the local Safeway, you can always go to Whole Foods, and the Farmer's Market in the summer. Get into this slowly. Get some committments out of the others, so you don't get stuck paying rent for a place you don't need. See how this communal life agrees with you before you invest a lot of time, money, and effort into it. It's easier to bring more people in than it is to ask people to leave.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:32 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,349,119 times
Yeah I connect with my environment all the time, mostly through hunting.

Oh and I have a question, You do realize it snows in the winter right? Are you going to be living in tent city when it's 20 below?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area