Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:27 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times

Advertisements

It's possible to farm in Boulder, but not without water rights. I know 2 "farmers", since they don't make much money but are into the local foods movement, who basically had to shut down when their rights were suspended. Without income from other sources, even while they are operating, they couldn't survive. Their farms are worth a freaking fortune though.

I think I would prefer to live with my own family, and not a ton of others. College was an eye opener that pretty much all the room mates I had would shirk what they could get away with. I don't mind splitting chores with my family, but I think I lived with experts in the "I'll ignore it till the person who cracks first has to do the chore". It seemed like a good idea till everyone was pissed doing chores that weren't agreed to, and seeing their food get eaten by the jerk who doesn't buy his own.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSimple View Post
It's a fascinating proposition no doubt. I have a lot of acreage in northern Wisconsin if you're interested...! Though not nearly as pretty....or interesting, etc.....

Obviously you are smart enough to know that it has both negatives and positives. That you recognize the negatives as real and attempt to keep moving forward speaks well of you, in my opinion.

As a person in my twenties on my way to Colorado just next week, I can see the attraction and draw of what you are trying to attempt. On it's surface it sounds idyllic. However, for myself, I love my modern society and am happily addicted to technology and cool cars and pre-made food. I can, and have, lived without a 55" inch LCD television, but I don't really want to!

That is just me of course.

I do wish you the best of luck in your endeavor though, I don't think it will be easy but it does sound like it could be immensely rewarding. Please let me know if you go through with it and if it does succeed, I'd love to visit. Just don't attack my SUV with compost...!
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
It's possible to farm in Boulder, but not without water rights. I know 2 "farmers", since they don't make much money but are into the local foods movement, who basically had to shut down when their rights were suspended. Without income from other sources, even while they are operating, they couldn't survive. Their farms are worth a freaking fortune though.

I think I would prefer to live with my own family, and not a ton of others. College was an eye opener that pretty much all the room mates I had would shirk what they could get away with. I don't mind splitting chores with my family, but I think I lived with experts in the "I'll ignore it till the person who cracks first has to do the chore". It seemed like a good idea till everyone was pissed doing chores that weren't agreed to, and seeing their food get eaten by the jerk who doesn't buy his own.
We haven't heard from the OP for a few months. Either she is pursuing this idea and doesn't have time to post, or she has given up. I do agree with the above.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:32 PM

165 posts, read 437,509 times
Good point. I keep on forgetting to look at the freakin' dates in the corner... Hopefully she's doing her thing and it's working for her.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:01 AM

Eh, it's more interesting then the average question of "Does it snow a lot there!? Will I be able to drive when it does!?"

Old 10-19-2008, 07:55 AM

274 posts, read 627,555 times
Maybe try the Smoky or Appalachian mountains. You would have a longer growing season there at least.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:53 AM

55 posts, read 175,225 times
I know a guy who started a cohousing community in Boulder not too long ago. Prior to doing so, he visited dozens of cohousing communities around the country. He thought he was going to join an existing community. After visiting the other cohousing communities, he decided to create his own.

Maybe CoHousing is for you, or maybe not. But if you're serious, I bet you'd learn a ton by talking to him. I'm pretty sure he has some experience with communes as well.

His name is Greg. Here is the community's website: Boulder Creek Community - Home

I would suggest you give him a call.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:06 AM

115 posts, read 174,572 times
Ugh Im 17 years old. If I was any older I would want to live on your commune for a year.

EUGENE OREGON! If you dont go to Boulder than eugene would be a good place. CHEAPer over there.

Alot of places in New Mexico also seems good for this anywhere from the Sante Fe to Albuquerque area.

Vermont...
(But anywhere in the east seems pale in comparison to the west)

Areas in washington state....
Areas in Oregon...

It seems best to try Oregon first

Good luck and I agree with what you're saying. We have to all take risks in life. Better than taking no risks at all, even if we sacrifice any sort of security we had before.

Do you live in NYstate too? I live in the Bronx but had a horrible experience here and will also be a western transplant.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,955 times
Where ever you decide to go, I am interested in going Oregon and New Mexico sound nice, I heard Montana is very cheap, what about an island? Costa Rica? Does not matter, You have a good ideal and this is a good time to make big changes. I am still employed but next year my job may become extinct. I will be following this post. Don't Give Up!

Old 11-27-2008, 07:35 AM

162 posts, read 467,428 times
Your boyfriend is going sailing for 2 years with 2 dudes? Ummm...

Old 11-29-2008, 10:36 PM

Good luck with that.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area