Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 10:11 PM

2 posts, read 10,783 times

Advertisements

hey everyone,
i'm planning on moving to colorado next year for the mountains, seasons, and some space. my career points to south denver, but my dog (pit bull), lifestyle (gay) and my need for space and beautiful mountain views point me to boulder. i think i'll make around 65K or 70K and i live alone. is boulder really worth the commute and higher cost of living? or are there some other nearby towns i should be looking into?

thank you

Last edited by livenbeauty; 08-19-2008 at 10:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 11:41 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
You have a pit bull and you want to live in Boulder and commute to South Denver? I don't understand.

Some communities have an APBT ban such as Aurora. Perhaps Denver county as well. You can do a search on such topics here to find out more about where you can have such a breed.

I belong to another forum that's part of a Denver newspaper and there was a separate forum for APBT and other "game" dogs like that with those on each side of the issue. The way I see it, it's a dog with some very strong attributes and it can be a beautiful dog with proper training. Others are way on the other side of the debate.

Boulder is a very beautiful California-like place that's also known to be a bit liberal.

Last edited by McGowdog; 08-20-2008 at 12:00 AM..

Old 08-20-2008, 07:15 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times
Well that might be a good thing considering his lifestyle.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:27 AM

792 posts, read 3,137,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livenbeauty View Post
my career points to south denver, but my dog (pit bull), lifestyle (gay) and my need for space and beautiful mountain views point me to boulder. i think i'll make around 65K or 70K and i live alone. is boulder really worth the commute and higher cost of living? or are there some other nearby towns i should be looking into?
Questions:
Where rU coming from? West Coast?
What type of career? Is a job guaranteed?
Where in south Denver? Is it SE Denver by DTC or C-AP?

Note:
If a Denver/S. Denver commute could not be done by mass transit from Boulder I would recommend against doing it by car and just living in Boulder. Why punish yourself w/traffic on 25/36 and loose out on the outdoor fun time in Boulder from 5-7pm?

Old 08-20-2008, 07:42 AM

39 posts, read 124,646 times
Default Colorado is probably not a good fit for you.

Thanks for considering our state for your new living arrangements, but the parameters you have mentioned are not going to be found here. You may want to look a little further west towards California. They have great scenery and will have better arrangements for you and your dog.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:44 AM

702 posts, read 2,523,508 times
I volunteer for a pitbull rescue in Illinois and I am a big advocate for the breed. I would not put myself anywhere near the Denver area with a pitbull. I just received an email through our network about an owner whose pitbull got out of his yard and strayed into Denver. The dog was picked up and Denver wont give the dog back to the owner even though this dog does not live in Denver and has not harmed anyone or anything. The plan to destroy this dog. Denver is not reasonable when it comes to pitbulls IMO.

Check out Forrest's petition. You may want to sign it. Good luck to you.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/sav...-dog-in-denver

Old 08-20-2008, 08:28 AM

49 posts, read 156,274 times
I don't believe there is a pitbull ban in Boulder although that might depend on what part of the city you live in. I ran into a lady at the park a while back who had a pit with her and the dog was very well trained (sight/voice tags and was off-leash). I patted the dog and she seemed quite friendly to me.
The lady did, however, make a point to tell me that not everyone here thinks her dog is so nice based solely on her breed. I got the impression that she catches a lot of flack for owning a pitbull. So, while your dog might be allowed to live here he probably won't get the warm reception from other residents that, say, a golden retriever would probably get. If you do end up in Boulder I would definitely suggest obedience training and getting him trained for sight and voice (if he's not already)
Good luck w/ your decision. I don't have much advice on the commute since I'm a stay-home mom and my husband works in Boulder. I've only ever been to the Denver Zoo and the airport.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:43 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Hmmm. I guess what I'd add to this is that Boulder may in-fact NOT have a ban on the APBT or similar breed. I wish I could link the forum that deals solely with "pit bulls" but I don't know if I can.

What if you just worked and lived in Boulder?

Unlike this person's sentiments would suggest,

Quote:
Thanks for considering our state for your new living arrangements, but the parameters you have mentioned are not going to be found here. You may want to look a little further west towards California. They have great scenery and will have better arrangements for you and your dog.
I'm quite sure that Boulder does NOT have a ban on alternatively oriented people. Whew! Was that PC, or what?

Old 08-20-2008, 06:22 PM

792 posts, read 3,137,271 times
Can't you just say the pitbull is a bulldawg? My grandfather always referred to those (nasty) pitbulls as bulldawgs. My buddy's friend had a playful pitbull that was a bit aggressive. The dog would wrestle people from the top or bottom position w/o biting or attack. But it had the ability to switch/reverse one and flatten one out pretty quickly.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:06 AM

2 posts, read 10,783 times
thanks to those of you who are trying to help. your feedback is so important to me as i currently live out of state. i thought my question was pretty clear, but i guess not. to clarify....i will mostly likely be working in greenwood village. i will not be working in boulder.

i want to live in an area that is:

1) gay friendly
2) pit bull friendly (i'm not going to parade my dog around the neighborhood, i just can't live in a city with a ban against them otherwise she will be euthanized. i'm also a very responsible owner, which should be somewhat obvious considering i'm going to such extremes to make sure i'm not breaking the law)
3) spacious with nice views of the mountains
4) commutable to greenwood village

boulder does not have a pit bull ban. here is a website which includes what cities do promote what i like to call, "ethnic cleansing" BREED-SPECIFIC LEGISLATION

also, i'm coming from the west coast....so in regards to this feedback: "Thanks for considering our state for your new living arrangements, but the parameters you have mentioned are not going to be found here. You may want to look a little further west towards California. They have great scenery and will have better arrangements for you and your dog." all i have to say is "wow, thanks for the warm welcome"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area