Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 03:43 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,620 times

Advertisements

Wow, you and your girlfriend sound like Boulder hippies to a T.

That being said, you could probably make do with Colorado Springs. But why would you want to do that when you'd fit in much better in Boulder and it's not very far. If you moved to Colorado Springs you'd probably be going to Boulder quite often and wishing you lived there.

Also, I want to comment about one of the posts earlier. It's true that Colorado Springs can be called "conservative", but the list they described IMO isn't a good indicator of conservative vs. liberal. How they made the list is they ranked all the cities of 100,000+ (so Boulder may not have even been ranked to begin with, coming in at just under) and listed them in order of percentage of people who voted for Bush/Kerry. Which is a terrible indicator of conservative vs. liberal and a slightly better (though not much) indicator of Republican vs. Democrat. I mean, trying to call Detroit the nation's most liberal city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 07:10 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,457 times
Default Yeah, The Methodology Was Kind of Lame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Also, I want to comment about one of the posts earlier. It's true that Colorado Springs can be called "conservative", but the list they described IMO isn't a good indicator of conservative vs. liberal. How they made the list is they ranked all the cities of 100,000+ (so Boulder may not have even been ranked to begin with, coming in at just under) and listed them in order of percentage of people who voted for Bush/Kerry. Which is a terrible indicator of conservative vs. liberal and a slightly better (though not much) indicator of Republican vs. Democrat. I mean, trying to call Detroit the nation's most liberal city?
You are quite right about the BACVR study. It was, however, one of the several "authoritative" links I found a few months ago while researching Boulder v. Colorado Springs v. Denver. If you Google "Colorado Springs conservative," you get almost 900,000 hits -- some whacked and really biased -- but many fairly fawning over Colorado Springs as a panacea for conservatives. I don't live in Colorado, I was looking for the same kind of information for myself.

I have lived in several large east coast cities with political "reputations," and I know first-hand that residents are more insightful than the broad brush media shorthand descriptions. One of the things I like most about the City-Data forums is that they give us outsiders a chance to ask locals about their perceptions and to fine-tune our expectations before we visit.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:07 PM

54 posts, read 128,492 times
[quote=Radical347;6173226]Wow, you and your girlfriend sound like Boulder hippies to a T.

That being said, you could probably make do with Colorado Springs. But why would you want to do that when you'd fit in much better in Boulder and it's not very far. If you moved to Colorado Springs you'd probably be going to Boulder quite often and wishing you lived there.

Also, I want to comment about one of the posts earlier. It's true that Colorado Springs can be called "conservative", but the list they described IMO isn't a good indicator of conservative vs. liberal. How they made the list is they ranked all the cities of 100,000+ (so Boulder may not have even been ranked to begin with, coming in at just under) and listed them in order of percentage of people who voted for Bush/Kerry. Which is a terrible indicator of conservative vs. liberal and a slightly better (though not much) indicator of Republican vs. Democrat. I mean, trying to call Detroit the nation's most liberal city?[/quote]

: It can be said that I have called Detroit Metro many things but those who have taken the time to read them would not say liberal is one of them.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:49 AM

115 posts, read 174,677 times
I would say Boulder hands down to Colorado Springs. Its more liberal and seems to have more life and activities. It has the only buddhist inspired University in the Us (Naropa University) so that really says something. The University of colorado is also there. These colleges have alot of music/theatre art events. Entertainers from all over the world went to Boulder. The mountains starts in the western outskirts of the city.

Boulder is closer to Denver than Colorado Springs but still far away enough to not feel smothered by a big city. Its also close to Fort Collins which has alot of activity going on. Nederland is known for being a hippie town in the mountains 15 minutes away from boulder. Boulder is close to Rocky Mountain National Park.

---

I had a rough time deciding whether I wanted to go to Euegene, Oregon or Boulder but am picking Eugene.

Plus for getting a job, youll probably need to be close enough to Denver. But both Denver and Boulder probably have jobs available and more likely than Colorado Springs.

I heard the mentality of the West is more about adventure and living than New England and the Northeast's mentality.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:09 PM

6 posts, read 17,951 times
Lightbulb Tale of Two Cities

Hey everybody!
I really appreciate hearing everyone's opinions and perceptions of these two places. I think, given what I've researched, that Boulder would be a better fit for the two of us.

That being said, I'd like a little clarification in regards to the weather. If it snows occasionally and melts during the day, that's just fine with me! My main concern was a long and dragged out winter. We can deal with snow, its just the weeks straight of temperatures never rising out of the 20's that's driven us from New England. And this year seems to have started especially early...
Anyway, isn't Boulder and the rest of the area just east of the frontal range fairly arid? I thought it was almost... desert-ish, just with a few more trees and some colder temps?
I don't know, any additional info would be great.

And how about nightlife? We're not big club-goers (for those of you that hadn't guessed), and we prefer small venues with live music and decent beer on tap. Is Pearl St where its at, or overly pretentious?
Thanks everybody!

Old 11-22-2008, 11:17 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee an adventurer View Post
And how about nightlife? We're not big club-goers (for those of you that hadn't guessed), and we prefer small venues with live music and decent beer on tap. Is Pearl St where its at, or overly pretentious?!
I love Pearl for the same reason when I was there, not big crowds or big clubs for a late night meal/drinks in certain venues. I would stay away from the hill because it mostly does.

I just didn't really say yes for you due to the pricing, my wife and I make easily over 100k a year before taxes and can't afford it in Boulder....vibe wise it's good but if you go bankrupt trying to live there it doesn't help.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:54 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee an adventurer View Post
Hey everybody!
I really appreciate hearing everyone's opinions and perceptions of these two places. I think, given what I've researched, that Boulder would be a better fit for the two of us.

That being said, I'd like a little clarification in regards to the weather. If it snows occasionally and melts during the day, that's just fine with me! My main concern was a long and dragged out winter. We can deal with snow, its just the weeks straight of temperatures never rising out of the 20's that's driven us from New England. And this year seems to have started especially early...
Anyway, isn't Boulder and the rest of the area just east of the frontal range fairly arid? I thought it was almost... desert-ish, just with a few more trees and some colder temps?
I don't know, any additional info would be great.

And how about nightlife? We're not big club-goers (for those of you that hadn't guessed), and we prefer small venues with live music and decent beer on tap. Is Pearl St where its at, or overly pretentious?
Thanks everybody!
In terms of weather, Boulder is pretty typical of any Front Range city. Winter does come to Colorado, and it does snow, but it is not like New England. Usually the area receives several good dumps a season, and sometimes it does stick for a while (2 years ago it was horrible) but that's usually not the case. On average, even with a big dump the snow is gone in a week. The temps may not rise above the twenties, but with the sun out and low humidity is doesn't feel like the east coast. I often could wear just a long sleeve t-shirt and be fine.

Boulder is a great place for the nightlife you are looking for. The Boulder Theater and Fox Theater are great venues, and often bring in big name acts. I'm sure there are several smaller bars/venues with great local music and plenty of good microbrews on tap. I think you are going to find pretentiousness anywhere in Boulder, but you will also find lots of kind people. In that sense, Boulder is similar to Bend, OR where I live. You can usually look past this, and you will get to know the places that you like and one's where the arrogance is too thick to bear.

You may have trouble finding an affordable place to live, but if you aren't looking to buy, you can probably find a rental that will do. It may not be the nicest place, but if Boulder is really where you want to be, then the quality of the home won't matter. Good luck!

Old 11-23-2008, 12:36 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,284 times
WannabeeAdventurer:

I'm a little PO'd at you. Everybody has given you very specific, good information here. Now you came back wanting even MORE clarification about Front Range weather and Boulder's nightlife? Are you a wanker?

The Front Range winter is mild period unless you are a fairy or live in the Foothills/mountains.

Boulder: Two words: RICH (affluent), COLLEGE (college kids dominate the "scene")

You will struggle in Boulder if you are NOT comfortably well off or flat-out RICH. But, a struggling life in Boulder can still be a VERY satisfying life, indeed.

The nightlife in Boulder: Fair-to-decent, but it's pretty much all about the college kids, college kids. (If you're not in college, that gets old quick.)

Denver: Cool to visit but I'd rather not live there (unless I was rich).

Colorado Springs: Many appealing features but much more remote than Denver-Boulder and nowhere near as hip.

We need more opinions about Colorado Springs living, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area