Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 10:47 PM

509 posts, read 549,521 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move here.
This thread is quite old, any updates on the current situation at this complex?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 11:06 PM

567 posts, read 1,461,481 times
Do you have more concrete questions in mind?
Is it a must to move there i.e. due to workplace location etc?

I live there, and as it's not that bad as life style. But I personally find it bloody expensive and I don't like the rate at which they increase the rent year over year. But comparing to AMLI @ Flatirons. it's a better choice (apartment / house layouts are nicer and detached garages). A bit run down though. And seems to be predominantly ... Indian. Not that I have anything against them.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:40 PM

Thanks for the reply.
Guess after reading through this thread, I'm wondering if all the bad press is still correct. This thread was started in 2008 after all.
We are looking to move there due to a job in Westminster, but wanting to be in the Boulder area, mainly due to schools.
We also like the idea of a master planned community and as a stay at home mom, I like the convenience of the amenities. Also it sounds like there are a lot of families and children there? For us, this is a positive. I know others have posted about it being bland and suburban and lacking historic charm.

What about it is run down as you say? Do you mean the upkeep of each apartment, or something about the exterior?

Old 02-16-2015, 12:50 AM

I think you've been informed quite correctly - the whole area of Superior-Broomfield-Louisville is bland and suburban. Lots of open spaces, that's all.

In regards to families with children, I wouldn't say they are really predominant. What I could say for sure though - about the Horizons area specifically - is some sort of cultural diversity. But this phenomenon is NOT natural, but somewhat triggered by a lot of immigration and newcomers happening here. I am myself in that category. For more permanent tenants, this is in fact negative, as the apartments are exchanging hands too often - at each 1-2 year period, and this gives the landlords/upper management an upper hand in raising the prices insanely. I managed to get a "deal" a year ago, simply because my rent period started in December - it was $1,295 for a 2-bedroom (1000 sqft) that time. Now I am paying $1,375 for the same. Imagine that! This is bloody unsustainable, and to top it off, they move the lease's end period all the time, i.e. closer to summer time, on purpose. To make you pay even more when you are up to renewal. In my case, I had to accept $1375 for a renewal lasting only 10 months instead of a normal 12-months period. It would've cost more than $1475 had I accepted a full year period.

In terms of upkeep, what is rundown is the inside of the apartments. These landlords simply want to make a buck without effort. Nothing is renewed inside, well, unless if you want to go for a $1700 2-bedroom, which is "upgraded". I've also heard that work repair requests are not honored in a timely manner.

If you like better upkeep on the inside, and care less about amenities and other fluff (club house, yoga / gym, "free" breakfast on Sundays etc), I would advise for AMLI @ Flatirons instead, which is newer. Weatherstripping in their apartments is also much better, so smaller energy bills. Or a place at the condos @ Saddle Brooke, which is in close nearby. That's what I plan to do myself anyways when the lease renewal is up...

If the job is in Westminster, then I would advise for finding a place in that area. I've heard from a former colleague at my workplace, that the rents are more accessible, i.e. $900 - $1000 for a same 2-bedroom apt. Now, about the quality of schools in Westminster, I can't tell.

But even the schools in the Boulder Valley School district aren't that super super great either. Well, unless you live in Boulder itself. Once my wife and kids manage to come from Canada and finally join me here in Superior, I'll be able to report more on the quality of the schools. I also happen to have a nice lady as neighbor here, she is currently incapacitated but she was in the school system as a teacher for quite a long time. She also had the opportunity to work for many different schools, and from many states. I'll be able to use her as an insider somewhat, to help me find a reasonable school for my 5-year and 8-year old kids. You know, something that isn't into sports and crap...But more into sciences.

Hope this helps and please remember, my view may be biased. I usually look with a very critical eye and conservative attitude at things. But I have experience overall with 3 social-political systems already throughout my life: Europe, Canada, USA/Colorado.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:23 AM

33 posts, read 41,955 times
I replied to your other thread, Linerin, about the commute to Westminster. I actually live here in the Horizons. My experience is there are lots of families here. I've met many parents at the bus stop. There are so many kids here that the bus my child is on is so full that it only makes one stop, straight from school to here. And they had to add a second bus in the neighborhood because they can't fit all the neighborhood kids on one bus anymore! The school they go to is Monarch K-8 which we are very happy with!

I do agree it's over priced though. Our lease is up and they raised us $75/month. We decided to stay here because the rental market is so tight. We love that we have a 2 car garage, we love the school and we've met so many families here who we befriended as well. Obviously we won't be here forever, but definitely another year. A lot of the cheaper places we looked at didn't quite meet our needs. This place definitely doesn't meet all our needs either but it meets enough for now, especially considering what it would cost us to move again.

As far as maintenance, we are in one of the updated units. I wished we weren't! You pay extra to be in an updated unit and I would much prefer to pay less. The updates aren't that great anyway! Maintenance can be slow. The complex is just so big and there aren't enough maintenance employees in my opinion. But when the matter is urgent, they do get out here right away, same day.

The amenities are nice. We go to the pools in the summer. We play at the park and ride our bikes around the pond. We go to the Wed movie nights when they play kid movies. We've attended some of the holiday parties. For an apartment complex, I think it has a neighborhood feel.

The location is great. We can walk to the big Community Park. It's close to grocery stores, the mall, restaurants and the freeway. Nothing is perfect and there are things I would like to see changed. But there are a lot of positives to it as well.

Please feel free to PM me with any specific questions you many have.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:52 PM

Thank you for all the detailed responses, we're still kind of looking around but Horizons remains near the top of our list.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:19 AM

You're mostly welcome.
Try to find something first @ Saddle Brooke private condo community. Nothing beats an individual landlord (the big management companies are too greedy IMHO, too many mouths to feed) and water + trash is included in the rent. Also, down the hill, there is the Copper Ridge apartments - seemed nice.

The biggest advantage with the Horizons is the proximity to more affordable grocery stores (Walmart. Safeway) whereas down to Louisville you have only the Whole Wallet and possibly Costco :-)

Good luck.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:26 PM

724 posts, read 1,924,825 times
I looked at Copper Ridge before we went to Horizons - there was no contest. horizons offers much more activities, pools, and the places were cheaper. Saddle Brooke is next door, but rent there seems high from what little we've seen.

For us Horizons is awesome - bus service directly to and from school. great location, lots of open spaces, close enough to Boulder and Denver. I will echo about the way they raise prices, and that there are a lot of families. I'd definitely recommend it, on our second year now.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:45 PM

I don't see a bus service directly to and from school necessarily as a feature provided by The Horizons. Its property taxes paying for that after all. Which includes us, the tenants.

I'm no longer recommending this apartment complex. I've just realized that someone from their administration had entered my apartment on this Friday, Feb 20th 2015 - without any prior notice given or my explicit consent. I've just send an e-mail inquiry to them, asking for details, and they refuse to answer. This is a serious breach of contract, eligible for a lawsuit.

My hunch is that they have entered illegally in some (if not all) apartments, IN PREPARATION for a special visit from a home inspector (which was clearly announced, scheduled for Monday Feb 23 '15 or Tuesday Feb 24). To be sure that the inspector will not be in for some surprises. Guess what, this will be the first issue that I will raise personally to that inspector. This is intolerable. Along the fact that there is a significant discrepancy between what the mechanical water meter is registering vs. the electronic black sensor piece which AUM (American Utility Measurement) company has attached on top of it for automatic monthly meter readings. In my case, the electronic stuff's reading is ahead by more than half of month worth of bill. I'm not sure how many other tenants actually cared to check that, so I'm trying to increase the awareness.

I'll be actively looking for another place. This company is too greedy and shady. Oh, did I mention the $20 bogus "Superior town recreation monthly fee" (it happens only in Superior - stay away from Superior!) and the crazy $25 fee for "trash valet service"? I could happily go and put the trash bags myself in the designated garbage bins on the property, if I can opt out of this fee.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:34 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,033,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
Oh, did I mention the $20 bogus "Superior town recreation monthly fee" (it happens only in Superior - stay away from Superior!) and the crazy $25 fee for "trash valet service"? I could happily go and put the trash bags myself in the designated garbage bins on the property, if I can opt out of this fee.
And this is why I never understood why people would choose to live in apartment complexes. I know the rental market is very tight, but I would still try to find a private landlord before going to any apartment complex. I think I wrote this in this thread: for the price of a 3-bedroom we got a 3-bedroom house with our own backyard and lots of privacy 4 years ago.

OP, try exploring private landlords first. I started with Boulder Housing Partners, but ended up renting after getting in contact with 5-6 advertisers on Craigslist, making appointments to see their properties, and finally choosing the place over a long weekend.

I know C-D posters like to caution against Craigslist, but I never got a feeling I was being scammed into anything while meeting with these landlords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area