U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 06:50 PM

163 posts, read 510,141 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to Boulder. I have heard that Boulder is Welcoming of newcomers, diverse, tolerant, inclusive, and accepting. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 07:45 PM

25 posts, read 71,936 times
I've never lived in Boulder but spent some time there. I really like the feel of it.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:52 PM

7,090 posts, read 10,757,552 times
Oh yes, I spent more then a decade there till very recently and never seen it anything but.

You get some nut jobs that like to repeat every little nuance about what they did and where they came from, which is annoying and nothing to do with being a transplant...just people wanting to be the center of attention using their recent move as conversation.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:54 PM

113 posts, read 368,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamboatannie953 View Post
I'm thinking of moving to Boulder. I have heard that Boulder is Welcoming of newcomers, diverse, tolerant, inclusive, and accepting. Is this true?
Yes, it's all those things and more. If you're outdoorsy in the winter and summer, it's pretty much as close as you'll get to utopia.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:56 PM

5 posts, read 20,718 times
Yes, it's true. You will like Boulder. It is like living in a picture postcard and I have lived here 36 years. It will be pricey though.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:06 PM

61 posts, read 173,100 times
You'll probably get some naysayers (I was just on the bus with someone who hated Boulder).. but I've found it an easy place to live with a great quality of life. I think it is quite tolerant, but I'm sad to see it going through a gentrification process that I don't approve of. I liked the dusty old west meets hippie new age. Now it's becoming a bit too 'polished', and although it's been an affluent community for awhile, I think that's beginning to become more obvious.

It's diverse in many ways, although not ethnically/racially. It is predominately white. There is a growing latino population in Boulder county as a whole, but at this time, I still find it much more segregated than where I grew up. Also, it is mostly liberal. I find this very agreeable, but there are folks who think it too liberal - or sometimes hypocritical. I won't argue that this is sometimes evident. But it is a blue bubble, and if you lean left, you will be among many like-minded people.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:36 PM

857 posts, read 1,412,116 times
Default Owning Property: An Inalienable Right (My Opinion)

When Impact Fees, Smart Growth, Remodeling Fees, and Solar Shadow Fees drive the cost of living through the roof, does this constitute a community that is welcoming? I'm not sure.

As a young person in the 18-34 demo, I am holding politicians twice my age accountable for their growth decisions -- that have resulted in increasing housing costs for MY generation.

I am also thinking of relocating to Boulder, but I want to own property and stop paying rent. Since I am of the rare opinion that the right to own property is an inalienable right ... I do not consider a community welcoming to newcomers if it IS NOT possible to buy a home for no more than three times ones income (the median multiple number) - as would be the case in places like Austin, TX. Or in Yucca Valley, California you can buy a home for $75,000 on the high desert 20 miles from Palm Springs.

However this may be possible in suburbs of Denver as I asked in another thread. I would love to move to Boulder and I sure hope so!

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 04-01-2009 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: Edit edit

Old 04-04-2009, 11:17 PM

857 posts, read 1,412,116 times
Default Boulder Affordability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lane View Post
When Impact Fees, Smart Growth, Remodeling Fees, and Solar Shadow Fees drive the cost of living through the roof..............
That comment conveys a misleading impression and I wish to offer a correction.

Since posting this I've learned that these fees do not have nearly the effect on the Cost of Living in Boulder ... when compared to places with a lack of Professional, Technical and Scientific services ... such as here in depopulated Flagstaff, AZ ...

One Reason: Median household income.

Homeowners in Boulder can afford expensive homes and all the fees -- because they have high salaries in the govt. labs, UC, and private scientific and IT companies.

In fact, despite Smart Growth, greenbelts, and fees, Boulder IS UNIQUE in NOT experiencing a high foreclosure rate -- because of the presence of technical jobs.

Most places with Smart Growth have huge foreclosure problems.

Boulder's Cost of Living percentage of the national average is 103% -- compared to 123% in Flagstaff, AZ.

I do think the impact fees, smart growth, and bike trail program should be suspended in Flagstaff, AZ -- because of our poverty, unemployment, and rapidly escalating cost of living.

Now that is all WAAAAAAY oversimplified...........

Old 04-29-2009, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 8,174 times
Boulder is tolerant and welcoming IF you THINK LIKE THEM....super Liberal. If you have any fiscal concervatism, you will be labeled as a NEO CON or unenlightened. The residents only tolerate folks who think/ act like themselves.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:59 AM

20,896 posts, read 39,162,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil decil View Post
Boulder is tolerant and welcoming IF you THINK LIKE THEM....super Liberal. If you have any fiscal concervatism, you will be labeled as a NEO CON or unenlightened. The residents only tolerate folks who think/ act like themselves.
Some people make the same knock, in reverse, about COLO SPGS; if you look, think and act like the fundies at your church, you'll be IN, and if not, you'll be labeled a commie pinko liberal infidel. Isn't tolerance wonderful!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or