U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-14-2009, 08:12 PM

103 posts, read 191,757 times

Advertisements

Since my previous post of programming jobs illicited no response, I guess I'll have to look into a career change.

If I have a bachelor's degree (history) and want to become a teacher (thinking about 7th grade) in Colorado (just moved here in October) what is the best way?

I'm kinda confused on the various "paths" to teaching...
you can go do the credential program at a university or take the Alternative Licensing Program, correct?

The CDE Website was kinda of confusing on exactly what is needed and how long these programs take.

Also, what is the demand for teachers in Colorado?
If I go through one of these programs will I be sent down to Pueblo or some other far away area to teach?

Thanks in advance
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 10:23 PM

8,177 posts, read 16,209,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkGuy View Post
Also, what is the demand for teachers in Colorado?
If I go through one of these programs will I be sent down to Pueblo or some other far away area to teach?

Thanks in advance
I'll leave the other questions to others, but I will answer this one. First, you won't be "sent" to someplace to teach. You will have to apply where you want to teach--probably a lot of places--and see where you may get interviews, and hopefully a job offer. You may have to accept a job in a less than optimum location--often that is where there may be an opening for a new teacher where they will accept a candidate without years of experience.

Get this right: unlike a lot of places, teaching jobs are coveted in Colorado. Teacher pay is OK--especially as one gains years of teaching experience. Benefits are generally good, time off (summer) works well with folks who like summertime for mountain recreation, retirement has been (at least up to now) pretty secure. So, teachers--once hired--tend to stay in the profession for the duration--meaning not much job turnover.

Urban and suburban districts pay the best, but some schools may have the least desirable student characteristics. Rural school districts don't pay as well--and, in resort areas, teacher pay is frequently nowhere near enough to afford to live comfortably in the community. In the non-resort smaller towns, there absolutely is bias in favor of hiring teachers from within the community. The "good ol' boy" system is still firmly in place in many smaller districts.

All of this said, it is possible to get hired as a teacher in Colorado, but it may be pretty difficult--especially in the current economic environment. I am not a teacher myself, but I was married to one--and what I relate here was her experience.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:32 PM

87 posts, read 160,474 times
It makes me laugh non-teachers think they can just jump into teaching and find a job. If you're serious about it, pursue it, but don't assume there are jobs to be had. Most people have to do some grunt work (e.g. subbing) before a district puts you into your own classroom. And being a great sub might not even cut it. If you are going to pursue it, look into the much needed areas; like ELL/bilingual, science, and math. Those ARE areas you can jump into a job quickly.

FYI -- the CO board is taking about three months to process teacher applications right now.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterThanAliens View Post
It makes me laugh non-teachers think they can just jump into teaching and find a job. If you're serious about it, pursue it, but don't assume there are jobs to be had. Most people have to do some grunt work (e.g. subbing) before a district puts you into your own classroom. And being a great sub might not even cut it. If you are going to pursue it, look into the much needed areas; like ELL/bilingual, science, and math. Those ARE areas you can jump into a job quickly.

FYI -- the CO board is taking about three months to process teacher applications right now.
I didn't think I could just get a job teaching, that is why I asked what the demand was for teachers in Colorado.
My wife is a dental hygienist and one of her patients said that Erie was looking for teachers, so that is why I was interested.

I was mainly looking for what is the best way to get into it and if it's worth doing (if there aren't any teaching jobs there is no point in me pursuing a year of school to do it...I could go learn something else)

Old 05-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 9 days ago)

70,023 posts, read 60,574,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkGuy View Post
I didn't think I could just get a job teaching, that is why I asked what the demand was for teachers in Colorado.
My wife is a dental hygienist and one of her patients said that Erie was looking for teachers, so that is why I was interested.

I was mainly looking for what is the best way to get into it and if it's worth doing (if there aren't any teaching jobs there is no point in me pursuing a year of school to do it...I could go learn something else)
The Erie teachers work either for Boulder Valley Schools or St. Vrain Valley Schools. Both are desirable school districts, and in BVSD, there are usually hundreds of applicants for every job.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The Erie teachers work either for Boulder Valley Schools or St. Vrain Valley Schools. Both are desirable school districts, and in BVSD, there are usually hundreds of applicants for every job.
thanks for the info!

Old 05-17-2009, 09:51 AM

You're welcome! Good luck!

Old 05-18-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
You're welcome! Good luck!
well, after some more research I'm now leaning away from teaching as I've read that there are problems with BVSD (no 1% raise?) and the fact that teachers start out at around $33,000 and don't really make any more until about 10 years in.
My wife and I plan on having kids, and there is no way we could afford to on that salary (she would be the major bread winner doing hygiene, but obviously we'd somehow have to manage on my salary for a while which would be impossible)
Even when I was making almost double that salary we were reluctant...

oh well, at least those who can hit/shoot/throw a ball make a decent living!

Old 05-18-2009, 09:19 PM

That is not entirely true. You can google BVSD and find their salary scale. They get regular step raises.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:23 PM

2,973 posts, read 4,584,877 times
Quote:
That is not entirely true. You can google BVSD and find their salary scale. They get regular step raises.
Yes but the 1% I think he was referring to is all they are giving for cost of living increases, which sucks. There will be a new salary schedule posted each year, but it doesn't change much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area