Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:03 AM

17 posts, read 84,702 times

Advertisements

Yes, Neditate makes some good recommendations with the communities mentioned. Without knowing anything about your budget or tastes, those brand new lofts in Nederland come to mind. They're right in town, and are owned, I think, by the owners of the Kathmandu Restaurant next door. (Is that right?)

Anyway, without knowing anything about you, I do recommend "the hills," and have personally lived in the mountains and commuted, not just in Boulder, but to Denver. (I guess I decided not to deal drugs.) Take a look at The Mountain Ear Newspaper : Nederland, Colorado - Home the local paper for rentals, etc. Just looking at a Boulder real estate site, there are about 1900 active listings in the entire area, with a wild range in price, of course.

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 03:48 PM

724 posts, read 1,927,525 times
I've thought that living in Golden might also be closer to being 'in the mountains', while still within reasonable range of the Boulder area.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:19 PM

75 posts, read 241,412 times
Default what the hizzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
LOL! It is not necessary to be "affluent" to live in the foothills.
Okay a few questions for OP. You need to ask yourself:

1. How far do i want to commute?
2. How much hassle will I put up with, weather-wise?
3. How much will you pay (dont tell us, but its a factor)?

I guess it would be good to know what you consider "affluent" though. Dont need to tell us your budget, just what figures would make you laugh and say "are you joking?" 800 k to 1 mil. seems standard for nice boulder homes in hilly areas. Cant speak from experience on that, just hearsay as ive never owned a home. *tear*.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Golden def. seems more affordable than Boulder, but very pretty. Lots of dogs, kayakers, and nice downtown.

Safe? I dont know anything about that. Seems scary to me at night. Any takers on this one?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for telling people to live in Sugarloaf, Gold hill or Nederland:

A few things you should know:

1 Many residents complain about the fact that govt never fixes the potholes on these roads near Ward etc in bad weather.

2 Snow in Nederland can be as high as the first story of your house and be aware that there are days when you'll have to dig out your car in your snow boots every day before work

3 Hiigh winds in Ned Weather in Ned can be snowing while its sunny in Boulder. Nederland is a ski town that hosts Eldora Mtn.

4 Gold hill -half the roads arent even paved.

5 Single lane roads, enough said.

6. You will definitely need a good mtn car with AWD. Suburus and Fords seem to do well. If youre lucky enuf to own a Landrover, Nissan Pathfinder or Xterra, bring it.

7. If you are going to commute to Boulder from these areas, be prepared to dig yourself out of the snow, deal with golf ball sized hail, frequent storms and scary road conditions.

8. OH! DONT FORGET TO GET WINTER WINDSHIELD WIPERS - will help wipe off snow with their thicker blades - remember to replace in summer or you wont be able to see through the rain if you happen to drive out to Kansas (do i speak from experience? I'll never tell)

Last edited by gorilazgomossad; 07-10-2009 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: Made it more PC for the sake of happy together ness.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qfrost View Post
I've thought that living in Golden might also be closer to being 'in the mountains', while still within reasonable range of the Boulder area.

Golden is twenty minute drive from Boulder, OP. Just fyi. But again, might be your dream town.
Ive only been there to go whitewater kayking, and got lost there once at night, which felt like an episode of teh Twilight Zone- dead silence.
Like a ghost town. Golden is a downward slope from boulder on your way to the road that takes you to summit county mtns.

Sujmmit county mtns are 90-120 miles away.

They are not what people call the "FOOTHILLS".

The foothills - Boulder lays right next to the bottom of the foothills. The foothills are NOT in Summit County (VAIL, etc).
The Foothills of Boulder - I've always understood this to be Flagstaff mtn area, as well as Chataqua and neighboring parts, NOT Nederland, Gold hill, Sugarloaf area. Thats not the way Boulderites refer to foothills, as far as I know, but you might love it there. Plus Nederite has five years and a house on me. So.
Just research, get yourself a map, and understand that its not a short commute.

Also Nederite- could you please be more specific. I am terrified of OP getting confused and later feeling gypped. . Danke schoen.

Even though technically they may be part of the range that is the Foothills to the Rocky mtns (first range of Rocky mtn range). OP- for the love of god, find a topographical map before taking anyones advice on where to live. I've had too many people tell me "when I first moved here, I was told this area was right in Boulder and its twenty minutes away" and other similar stories. Are you looking for a bit of a commute? then you might love these areas. Nederite-is that what you meant by Foothills? thanks.

MAP:

X eldora/ned
-------XX BOULDER

----------------------------XXXXX Denver

-------X Golden

<---- 120 miles that way: VAIL, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone.

See the little dots? ..... on the map are the Foothills.
Chataqua area. Probably the most expensive part of Boulder if you live ON them. Say a couple mil. each. Again, hearsay from my born-and-grown boulderite friends.

If you live right at the bottom of Flagstaff mtn, however, lots of college style rentals. $700- 800 for a one bedroom.

ps by Nederite I meant Neditate. sorry.

Last edited by gorilazgomossad; 07-10-2009 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: clarify

Old 07-11-2009, 10:01 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,690,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilazgomossad View Post
See the little dots?
Nope!

Old 07-11-2009, 10:51 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,106,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilazgomossad View Post

The foothills - Boulder lays right next to the bottom of the foothills.
The Foothills of Boulder - I've always understood this to be Flagstaff mtn area, as well as Chataqua and neighboring parts, NOT Nederland, Gold hill, Sugarloaf area. Thats not the way Boulderites refer to foothills, as far as I know, but you might love it there.
All of the areas I mentioned are in the foothills west of Boulder. The area between Boulder and the Continental Divide is considered the foothills.
Definition of foothills: a hilly region at the base of a mountain range
Foothills are geographically defined as gradual increases in hilly areas at the base of a mountain range. They are generally larger than hills, but not as tall as nearby mountains. Many neighborhoods and communities found in such a location are termed "the foothills".

Just re-read your post and I think you are confusing the Flatirons with foothills. Chautauqua is at the base of the Flatirons. It is not in the foothills.

Last edited by Neditate; 07-11-2009 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: clarify

Old 07-12-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post

Just re-read your post and I think you are confusing the Flatirons with foothills. Chautauqua is at the base of the Flatirons. It is not in the foothills.

ARGH, youre RIGHT. DOH!

All hail Neditate. I now exile myself from this post in awe of your vast knowledge and superior wisdom.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:47 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,106,360 times
LOL!

Old 08-02-2009, 04:15 AM

33 posts, read 102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralAdama View Post
cool. When you say Foothills, will you be able to find, you know, windy mountainous roads and homes/apts on em?
I would say, generally not as far as "apartments" .
These areas aren't really developed with apartment blocks if that is what you are thinking.
Some new type condo developments are going in Lyons, but this isn't a windy road situation though it's a quick commute to Boulder along the foothills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area