Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 02:14 AM

857 posts, read 1,732,388 times

Advertisements

The US EPA's Smart Growth campaign (Smart Growth Online) involves very small lot sizes and shared backyards, often to the point of having garages right next to the sidewalk w/ no driveway, such as areas in north Boulder. I prefer larger lot sizes with the garage in the back behind a fence, along with an attached greenhouse/sunroom for starting vegetables...

Smart growth homes are often 3-4 stories, and very skinny since the lots are so narrow. The baby boomers who are now in office promoting smart growth will soon be retiring, and won't like climbing 3-4 sets of stairs. They would prefer ranch homes on acreage north and east of Boulder. An apartment manager just pointed this out to me the other day.

Perhaps the solution to the garage taking up space on the lot is to eliminate it, and park on the street, if not underground in shared parking garages for these smart growth neighborhoods.

Another issue with the smart growth plan is too much concrete: wide driveways, 10' wide sidewalks on both sides of the street, etc. -- leading to less green space, and the urban heat island effect. Gravel driveways or cobblestone drives with grass in between the stones are much better. They absorb more water for the landscape plants, reducing sewage runoff over the concrete -- consistent with permaculture/water conservation principles.

But one must be careful NOT to talk down infilling completely, because it does allow young people and the elderly to AFFORD homes in the middle of dense urban centers, often for less than $200K. Many elderly individuals don't want to own cars, and would like to walk to the library and stores...

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 06-14-2009 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: Sewage Runoff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 12:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lane View Post
The US EPA's Smart Growth campaign (Smart Growth Online) involves very small lot sizes and shared backyards, often to the point of having garages right next to the sidewalk w/ no driveway, such as areas in north Boulder. I prefer larger lot sizes with the garage in the back behind a fence, along with an attached greenhouse/sunroom for starting vegetables...

Smart growth homes are often 3-4 stories, and very skinny since the lots are so narrow. The baby boomers who are now in office promoting smart growth will soon be retiring, and won't like climbing 3-4 sets of stairs. They would prefer ranch homes on acreage north and east of Boulder. An apartment manager just pointed this out to me the other day.

Perhaps the solution to the garage taking up space on the lot is to eliminate it, and park on the street, if not underground in shared parking garages for these smart growth neighborhoods.

Another issue with the smart growth plan is too much concrete: wide driveways, 10' wide sidewalks on both sides of the street, etc. -- leading to less green space, and the urban heat island effect. Gravel driveways or cobblestone drives with grass in between the stones are much better. They absorb more water for the landscape plants, reducing sewage runoff over the concrete -- consistent with permaculture/water conservation principles.

But one must be careful NOT to talk down infilling completely, because it does allow young people and the elderly to AFFORD homes in the middle of dense urban centers, often for less than $200K. Many elderly individuals don't want to own cars, and would like to walk to the library and stores...
Well, I've parked outside both here and in worse climates than this one, and it's a pain. I sure wouldn't want to do it with kids in tow, especially a baby or two. The climate here is not conducive to leaving one's car out all the time. It snows, it hails (DD's car was totaled in a hailstorm), it gets hot, it gets cold. I don't think homes w/o garages would fly here.

I have worked with the elderly, professionally, and I can tell you most hate to give up their cars, and many keep drving long after they shouldn't any more. When they get very frail, most are unable to walk much of anywhere, especially in the snow or in 100 degree weather, both of which happen here.

I agree that a 3-4 story house would be difficult to live in, not only when one gets old but also when one has small children.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:37 AM

724 posts, read 1,933,351 times
I love the idea of using less concrete (hate the stuff), so the idea of a cobblestone with grasses is a welcome thought. Certainly would help soften those newer subdivisions....

Old 06-18-2009, 11:09 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
I work with individuals to remove barriers (access) to their homes. One common barrier that sometimes manifests itself quickly is accessing rooms on another level of their home (be it upper floors or lower, as in basement).

One of the best, and easiest ways to remove the barriers is a home elevator.

Be it an elevator car or a stair lift, home elevators have allowed those with physical impairments to once again have access, and enjoyment, of their homes.

They are not that expensive (generally start around 10K) and, if prescribed by a physican, installation is tax deductible as a necessary medical expense.

If someone is elderly (on social security) or SSI, there may be the ability to have SS pick up part of the tab for installation.

Google "Home Elevators" and do some research. You may find it an interesting alternative.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:24 AM

857 posts, read 1,732,388 times
Default Elevators For Smart Growth Infilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I work with individuals to remove barriers (access) to their homes. One common barrier that sometimes manifests itself quickly is accessing rooms on another level of their home (be it upper floors or lower, as in basement). One of the best, and easiest ways to remove the barriers is a home elevator.
Great point. My grandfather in California in the 1980's used an elevator that was installed to go up and down the stairs. This definitely could be a solution to Smart Growth Infilling, that could allow individuals with arthritic conditions to live downtown in Condos if they want to. Certainly there are elevators 50 story apartment buildings in Manhattan, so why not in 4 story buildings in Boulder?

Old 06-19-2009, 04:22 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qfrost View Post
Thanks for the tip! It's a shame so many house fronts are dominated by that big ugly garage cube. Bad feng shui to have a home's entrance hidden like so many I see, like it was an afterthought. Ah well, personal taste....
I hate it too. I think it's like an ugly great growth stuck on the face of something lovely. Whilst they should be attached to the house, garages belong to the side or around the back!

Old 06-19-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Whilst they should be attached to the house, garages belong to the side or around the back!
That requires bigger lot sizes - and the cost of land is, in many cases, too high to make it economically feasible.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:49 PM

33 posts, read 103,165 times
Its expensive to buy in Boulder area in the older section where garages do not dominate. You could try a new urbanist neighborhood though. There is one off church ranch road in Broomfield and Holiday neighborhood in North Boulder. Problem with Holiday though is that it is ugly and way too overcrowded so that cars do end up dominating the neighborhood because people have no where to park and street is crowded. All the cars make it look like a ghetto. (That and the homeless shelter and strip club near it)! Prospect in South Longmont is also new urbanist and garages do not dominate and there are alleys. It's an easier commute to Boulder from there. Prospect has it's issues and there are some good deals out there now-but look for the resales, do not use the real estate office there. Downtown Longmont is like Mapleton Hill as far as old architecture and alleys, but harder commute into Boulder. And there are heaps of neighborhoods in Denver with architecture you like. But to go garageless-you need new urbanist or old. And old is really expensive in Boulder.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lane View Post
In certain areas, that might be feasible. In other areas, such as Phoenix, the mere suggestion of doing away with the garage would not go very far.

The same in areas in Northern areas where there is likelihood of snow -

Old 08-03-2009, 07:34 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradburn1 View Post
My lot is 4500 sq feet and my garage is in the back, so that's not the only factor and I've seen so many houses on ginormous lots with garages in the front--Bow Mar in Littleton comes to mind.

It makes a HUGE difference on how the front of the house looks and how the streetscape looks. If you want a house with garages in back in Denver's suburbs, I'm afraid your choices will be limited but there are some neighborhoods out there that have them. The pre World War II neighborhoods as far as older 'hoods and for new 'hoods, the new urbanist communities generally are all designed that way (as another poster mentioned).
most of the time, the lot is the factor. Many lots we have tried to get side facing garages, it well... just cannot happen. You typically need 30' from the face of the garage to the back of the driveway for a comfortable backing space. They end up getting pressed to the very edge of the lot to keep the house centered within the lot. Other times, at least in the price range I design in, the garage becomes an integral part of the design. It is used to help balance the massing of the house, as to not allow it to look lopsided, or heavy to one side. We then attempt to minimize the garage as much as possible to it does not detract from the overall design of the home. There are many ways to do this, slightly shifting one garage (think 3-car) door back 2 or so feet from the face of the most forward garage door, to break up the roof line, adding a bay, or dormers to a roof help draw the eye from the garage doors. Even a very nice set of "carriage" style garage doors can dramatically change the bland look of a home. Unfortunately, spec. builders do not have it in the budget to do things like this.

I prefer to not see the garage at all. I would LOVE for the majority of lots in Colorado to go back to an alley load form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area