Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2009, 12:54 AM

3 posts, read 10,637 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We live in Longmont, but my son attends a private school in Boulder. He is a very serious baseball player, however, his school does not have a baseball program. I heard that he may be able to play for one of the other High Schools in Boulder County.

Does anyone know the policy regarding this? Can he play for ANY school in Boulder County? Or does the school need to be in the district of our residence in Longmont. (or does it need to be in the district of his private school in Boulder?). Any info. will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 07:34 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
I would think the place to start would be calling the two districts - St. Vrain and Boulder Valley and speaking with someone in the athletic departments.

What about just a league, like many kids do with soccer?

BASEBALL-LINKS.COM: Youth Baseball: Colorado

I don't know much about high school sports as my teenager is primarily a skier. I would think it would be tough for a kid not going to that school being part of a school team but what do I know....and coaches may be reluctant to bump a kid who attends the school for a kid who does not.

I would also wonder how hard it would be to make the games/practices during the week if the school schedules don't line up too well.

Not trying to be a downer! Just would think that a league not associated with a school may be easier to work with.

Maybe someone else will have a little experience in this situation.

Good luck to him - hope he can find somewhere to play!

Old 07-07-2009, 02:23 PM

jkcoop,

Thanks for your input! I'll call the two school districts.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:00 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Unless the policy has changed since my kids were in high school (last one graduated in 2005), if you go to a private school, homeschool, etc, you may participate in your attendance area school's programs. In other words, if you live in the Longmont High School attendance area, you can participate at LHS. If your attendance area doesn't have a team in your sport, you may participate on the closest team.

I have a little experience in this area, as my kids' school, Monarch, did not have a gymnastics team, so my kids had to participate on the Broomfield HS team. There were kids from all over BVSD on that team, including kids from private schools. There was no problem with coaches favoring kids from the home school. The coaches want to win. Scheduling was sometimes a problem, but the coach was used to the multi-school situation, and accomodated the kids from other schools.

When you call the schools, be sure to talk with the athletic director. With gymnastics, sometimes us parents had to tell the schools what was going on! You might find some information on this website:

http://www.chsaa.org/

Old 07-13-2009, 12:38 AM

Katiana,

Thank you for the info. Very helpful!

Old 07-14-2009, 10:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
You're welcome! Good luck!

Old 09-04-2010, 09:12 PM

3 posts, read 12,643 times
My son's school ended up playing against a public school. That game was quite amazing. westridgesports (westridgesports) on Twitter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area