Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 04:16 PM

11 posts, read 31,093 times

Advertisements

I have heard that CU and Boulder in general are pretty liberal, and that a lot of people are not very military friendly. My Husband is in the military and going to be attending CU in the fall so I'm just wondering if its as bad as people make it sound or what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 06:48 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,505 times
Nope, not bad at all. CU, Boulder has plenty of students who are to the right of Atilla the Hun, one just has to sniff around for them (like at the Young Republicans group meeting or some such).

Plenty of Libertarians and even traditional Republicans in town, although of course overall such folks are rather in the minority in Boulder.

Flava Flav say: "Don't believe the hype...(a boom chicka boom boom de boom boom boom)"

Last edited by POhdNcrzy; 07-08-2009 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: I ain't no Troll, suckah!!

Old 07-08-2009, 07:09 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,135,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldspade View Post
I have heard that CU and Boulder in general are pretty liberal, and that a lot of people are not very military friendly. My Husband is in the military and going to be attending CU in the fall so I'm just wondering if its as bad as people make it sound or what.
There is a Department of Military Service with an ROTC program at CU, so there's even a small military presence on campus.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:46 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
There is a Department of Military Service with an ROTC program at CU, so there's even a small military presence on campus.
HU-AH!

(retired 30-year Army civilian here...)
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:08 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
I would not worry about all those cowardly "group think" so called liberals in Boulder. They spend most of their time looking in the mirror for an affirmation of their own beauty and are more concern with trappings of wealth. Just say "boo" and they will trip on their Tevas.

It is a day of Celebration along the Front Range: Pseudo Chief Wardo Churchill's feathers have been plucked. So what is there to worry???

Livecontent

Old 07-08-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I would not worry about all those cowardly "group think" so called liberals in Boulder. They spend most of their time looking in the mirror for an affirmation of their own beauty ...snip...
Livecontent
My mom had to buy me sheet metal mirrors ... kept breaking the damned glass ones...

Old 07-09-2009, 08:17 AM

11 posts, read 31,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
Nope, not bad at all. CU, Boulder has plenty of students who are to the right of Atilla the Hun, one just has to sniff around for them (like at the Young Republicans group meeting or some such).

Plenty of Libertarians and even traditional Republicans in town, although of course overall such folks are rather in the minority in Boulder.

Flava Flav say: "Don't believe the hype...(a boom chicka boom boom de boom boom boom)"
Way to stereotype! I said he was military, not hard charging republican... jeez do you really think everyone in the military believes the same thing?
We are actually pretty liberal just to let you know.

I know about the NROTC my husband is going to be in the program while he is in school. Those are some of the people who have told us about the liberals who hate anyone in uniform. Sad though cause thats pretty narrow minded, to judge someone by what their job is... Not everyone in the military is violent, crazy, and republican.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:26 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldspade View Post
Way to stereotype! I said he was military, not hard charging republican... jeez do you really think everyone in the military believes the same thing?
We are actually pretty liberal just to let you know.

I know about the NROTC my husband is going to be in the program while he is in school. Those are some of the people who have told us about the liberals who hate anyone in uniform. Sad though cause thats pretty narrow minded, to judge someone by what their job is... Not everyone in the military is violent, crazy, and republican.
Well, I think there are people on both sides who judge without knowing. Ignorance is sadly a condition that EVERYONE can suffer from. Yes, you might encounter some people who will be hostile to the military and you might encounter some who will embrace you with open arms. I am a "loony leftie" BUT I grew up in the military, my father was a 25-year vet before he retired and I have absolutely nothing but respect for the men and women who do this job. It's a thankless one that a lot of people think they can do better and yet somehow you don't see them down at the recruitment office. (And I find it monstrously offensive to be categorised as cowardly simply because I'm a liberal, especially when those doing the categorising know absolutely nothing about me, but that's another argument.) To be honest, I don't think Boulder is alone in being hit with this kind of stereotyping. Just don't let this put you off coming here. Boulder is a beautiful place to be and you should enjoy it.

And if you have any questions you'd rather PM me about, do feel free

Old 07-09-2009, 09:23 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
My mom had to buy me sheet metal mirrors ... kept breaking the damned glass ones...
Yea, I can understand that, need those metal mirror that last forever. My choice for mirrors is those circus mirrors, the one that makes my fat short body---thin and tall.

Now, that I think about it. I am going to start selling mirrors in Boulder---big three tiered ones, like you would see in a tailor shop---so the Boulder beautiful people can look at their spandex enveloped tiny hinnies----"I look fabulous"

Boooooooo!

Livecontent

Old 07-09-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Yea, I can understand that, need those metal mirror that last forever. My choice for mirrors is those circus mirrors, the one that makes my fat short body---thin and tall.

Now, that I think about it. I am going to start selling mirrors in Boulder---big three tiered ones, like you would see in a tailor shop---so the Boulder beautiful people can look at their spandex enveloped tiny hinnies----"I look fabulous"

Boooooooo!

Livecontent
And the mirrors talk to you too......You looook maaaaahvelousssssss.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area