U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:46 AM

6 posts, read 13,364 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are considering a move to the Boulder area and want to get some insight on how the local economy is doing. This is a consideration as we think about the timing of our move. We currently live in NY and like many others, we are drawn to Boulder by the outdoors and more balanced pace of life.

One option is we move to the Boulder area and look for work once we get there. The pros of being locally based is that we can be available for interviews/informational meetings and general networking. Clearly this will require minimizing our expenses. Alternatively, we stay in New York and look from here. Financially that is more practical, but the trade-offs are getting CO employers to take us seriously and being able to get to Denver/Boulder to interview. We likely will look for work in the Boulder-to-Denver corridor and have strong credentials/experience to help market ourselves.

Any thoughts people have on how the local economy is doing will help us in thinking through our options and timeline. Also, if anyone else recently made a similar move, any advice is very welcomed.

All the best,

Kiam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 12:54 PM

17 posts, read 37,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiam View Post
Hello,

My wife and I are considering a move to the Boulder area and want to get some insight on how the local economy is doing. This is a consideration as we think about the timing of our move. We currently live in NY and like many others, we are drawn to Boulder by the outdoors and more balanced pace of life.

One option is we move to the Boulder area and look for work once we get there. The pros of being locally based is that we can be available for interviews/informational meetings and general networking. Clearly this will require minimizing our expenses. Alternatively, we stay in New York and look from here. Financially that is more practical, but the trade-offs are getting CO employers to take us seriously and being able to get to Denver/Boulder to interview. We likely will look for work in the Boulder-to-Denver corridor and have strong credentials/experience to help market ourselves.

Any thoughts people have on how the local economy is doing will help us in thinking through our options and timeline. Also, if anyone else recently made a similar move, any advice is very welcomed.

All the best,

Kiam
Kiam,

My wife and I are moving from NJ to Lafayette, CO in one week. We are both engineers and have been looking for jobs for a few months. Although we are both very qualified in our fields, we have received little response from companies. There are plenty of job opportunities in our fields being listed on various job sites, but our out-of-state status is definitely hindering us.

Based on our experience, companies became more interested once we included a specific move date on our cover letters. My wife flew out for an interview in Boulder a couple of weeks ago, and she is one of the final candidates for the job. We hope to hear back from them soon.

Your chances of landing a job will increase once you are local to the area. Setting a specific move date helped with responses from companies, and we are hoping that physically moving out there will help even more. It is a risky move to relocate without jobs, but it all depends on your personal situation and financial position.

If you have built up adequate savings and feel confident in your abilities to obtain jobs in a relatively short amount of time, I say go for it.

Good luck.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:43 PM

parafly,

Thanks for sharing your situation. Glad to hear that you are making the move and employers are being more responsive. I think that financially we can manage a 5 to 6 month search by cutting our expenses and tapping into savings. I feel that even with this economy, we can both likely find something within 3 to 4 months. As you suggest there is always an element of risk, but this appears to be well managed risk. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Kiam

Old 08-02-2009, 04:44 AM

33 posts, read 67,105 times
Hard to answer your question w/o knowing what business you are in.
Tech is struggling-Maxtor tanked, massive lay offs at Sun, etc.
Many local businesses are closing. There is a blogger-bestboulderblog.blogspot.com that lists local businesses that have closed every week. Lots of places going because it's expensive here, though places that have been owned by landlords since 70's on Pearl street seem to hang on. 29th street mall never really got going and is more than half empty.
There is a LOT of educated people here and competition for a job will be stiff. Boulder has more PHD's than anywhere in the country-or it's second to Westchester-one or two anyway. Housing is expensive and there is a lot of trust fund hippies here with a lifestyle that doesn't add up to what they say they do. Pay is not commensurate with cost of housing here because you are competing with a lot of spoiled baby boomers or trust fund hippies.
Engineers are being laid off left and right here. Those jobs are being sent overseas to China like everything else. Many people in Boulder start their own businesses!

Old 08-08-2009, 09:58 PM

mark747,

Thanks for the posting. I have been talking with folks on the ground and they suggest that a job search can take 5 to 7 months and requires lots of networking. I am likely expanding my job search to the Denver area. I think that is a more practical approach to get to Colorado.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:52 PM

4,849 posts, read 8,653,627 times
My question is why do you view Boulder as a "...more balanced pace of life..."??

I am ex New Yorker and I have been here many decades. I have lived in Boulder when I first moved here. I know New York, as I have lived all over the state. There are many places in New York that have more of a balanced pace than Boulder. Actually, there are many places in Colorado that are considered more balanced and relaxing than Boulder, and that includes many other parts of the Denver Metro area.

Boulder is a intense dense city that can be very stressful. It has much more traffic than many areas of Denver and has very dense neighborhoods. I think there were less stressful areas of NYC that I lived, than Boulder.

It is concentrated with very competitive individuals who have a focus of self importance. In addition, the university atmosphere brings in many who drive too fast and have the hormonal qualities of youth. Balanced, normal, relaxed, calm, peaceful are not adjectives I would apply to Boulder. That does not mean that Boulder is a bad place to live---it is great place to live for many, and offers superb amenities; but it is what it is---very intense stressful place to live.

Yes, Boulder has many areas of open space but so does Denver and the surrounding suburban cities. However, in Boulder, the close in natural environment is heavily used and consequently is not as peaceful as one would imagine. Other Metro areas have a great deal of recreational resources: open spaces, trails, reservoirs and natural preserves that are not as heavily impacted.

I live in Arvada and I can easily reach less used and more tranquil places than residents of Boulder. If you look at the whole of the metro area along the front range, you will see many ways to get to the Mountains, the Foothills and the huge expanse of the Great Plains with the natural bounty that exist. For Colorado, is not only about the mountains--it has a much varied topography than the marketing lead people to believe. Keep in mind, most of settled areas of Colorado are on the Great Plains and that includes Denver, the suburbs, Fort Collins, Greeley, Loveland, Pueblo, Colorado Springs, parts of Boulder, and other cities in Boulder County. Let us not forgot the other areas that have a more balanced pace on the western slope of the Rockies as in Grand Junction.

Too many people have a perception of Boulder as some idyllic little town in the mountains that mediate a Shangri-La existence. Wrong--it is city with the problems of a city and the advantages of a city.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 08-09-2009 at 12:06 AM..

Old 08-09-2009, 03:57 PM

4,476 posts, read 5,996,022 times
I'm going to agree here - we avoid Boulder like the plague certain times of year when it comes to out door activities....way too many people hiking on the trails in town/close to town - parking difficult at trail heads, add to that those trying to bike, etc....

There are way more enjoyable places to go than Boulder, in my opinion. I do love Boulder for eating out and people watching. We've rarely ventured on to the Boulder Creek Path - it always seems packed. I'm in s.w. Longmont and we have tons of greenbelt paths, parks, etc. and are within easy drive to great trail heads.

Visiting a place and the reality of everyday life or so vastly different.

Also, I agree that your best hope of finding a job here is to be here. Depending on the line of work, I don't think out of towners have much of a chance..... and that would apply especially IT as employers want to put you through at least 3 or more separate interviews, all drawn out over weeks.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:19 AM

7,509 posts, read 11,227,327 times
Kiam wrote:
We currently live in NY and like many others, we are drawn to Boulder by the outdoors and more balanced pace of life.
You can walk outdoors anywhere, and it's not the place that determines your pace of life. The pace of life is a choice that we all make moment to moment. The trick is learning to pay attention, and continuously choose a more balanced pace of life. You can do that anywhere. Boulder is not likely to be any better or any worse than your current location as a base for a more balanced pace of life.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:37 PM

5 posts, read 29,164 times
You guys are so negative. Jeez! I've been lurking for several months and this forum is the worst for negativity on any citi-data forum that I have followed.
I don't really think people come to this type of forum for philosophy.
We really just want to find out the facts about different areas that may interest us.
Lighten up and find someone else to make miserable!

Old 08-10-2009, 06:32 PM

4,849 posts, read 8,653,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdoliner View Post
You guys are so negative. Jeez! I've been lurking for several months and this forum is the worst for negativity on any citi-data forum that I have followed.
I don't really think people come to this type of forum for philosophy.
We really just want to find out the facts about different areas that may interest us.
Lighten up and find someone else to make miserable!
If you want facts, then look in a guidebook or you can find all you want on the internet. You do not need this forum because facts speak for themselves, not always truthfully, but if you are satisfied with "facts" then look no further. We are not here to look up the facts for you; that you can do yourself.

However, what this forum provides, is information beyond the facts; it gives you perceptions; advice; personal experience. It tells you about little known issues about an area that you cannot glean from just looking at facts.

You want to call that philosophy, then you can. Because perceptions and experiences are honed by individual points of view...which can be described as philosophy.

It is up to you to accept or reject what is written on this forum. So, my point is you need to take your own advice and "Lighten up". Obviously you want to hear opinions that only reinforce what you want to hear; that is not the way of the world in an open forum. Since this forum of ideas makes you miserable, then make yourself happy and do not participate.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 08-10-2009 at 06:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area